Riding in Florida.. + east coast

McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I am just wondering if it's better to ride a motorbike on the west or on the east coast...

Secondo, Between Hollywood, Fl and Knoxville, Tn, I got the choose 3 places where I'll stop for sleeping/relaxing.. I was thinking to drive up to Savannah ( by the seashore ) and then get inside the land.. Is there anything special to see around there ? I really need to be in knoxville on the fourth day. I'll be my last chance to ride the Tail Of The Dragon ( over 350 curves in 11 miles ), and I got a ticket to a show in Louisville,Ky on the next day..

I've never really been there in the past.. well if you guys could help me out (:

Thanks
-"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    if you roll thru Savannah, stop at Harris bakery. They make a killer cinnamon roll and other tasty treats. savannah wouldn't be a bad place to stop for a night. charleston, sc would be an excellent destination as well. if i was spending more than a day or two, charleston would get my vote.

if you do savanah, google maps has you cutting up thru SC to ashville to knoxville. ashville, nc is cool city and would defiantly be a place to stop. TONS of microbrews for the size. one bar even has a proper beer engine ( i can dig up the name if you decide to go there) the mountian roads around ashville are a good time as well. just around the corner from ashville is the highest mountain east of the mississippi. tons of twisty roads. US25 is a good choice to get from ashville to the NW side of the mountains. I40 thru there wouldn't be bad for an interstate route, although not as fun.

that's my two cents.

if you stop in any of the cities listed, i can name a number of good places to eat from low end to big bucks.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    i live in FL but dont really understand your question...you're trying to decide if you should ride the east or west coast of FL? Is this a leisurely ride (taking backroads and checking out the sights)? A1A on the east coast should be a pretty enjoyable ride. St. Aug north to Amelia Island is beautiful. If you decide to come up this way let me know and I'll recommend some quick stops. Like bubbles said, Savannah, Charleston and Asheville are all really cool places.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
    @Bubbles : Nice nickname.. I'm actually a really big fan of the Trailer Park Boys.. Got the DVD box ( well, it's actually a lunch bag ) with all episodes in it.. great hawkshit ! (:

I'll take consideration of all the cities you typed.. I'll probably send you a email in the next days asking for a few quick questions. You talked about the mountains, which are pieces of my road plan. Tail of the Dragon is actually part of it. Let me look at it and I'll send you a email..

Thank you very much..

@He.who.forgets : yea it is totally a leisurely ride. it does not go very well in my life and I need some fresh air before summer starts. I was asking because both sides seem to be enjoyable. Let me know if I'm wrong but the east side seems to be more "urban style". I saw few national parks on the west side (cypress park + Green Swamp park...). Seems like a nice drive but does it worth the extra time it'll take? Do you really see something great from the main road or do you really need to get inside the parks the enjoy something? I only have a single day to go through the whole state, and i'm just wondering which side would be more interesting.

Thanks (:
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    I think you'll end up enjoying either the east or west coast. Doesnt seem like you're going to have time to go off the beaten path, so I'd just stick with the shortest distance/most convenient and make the most of it. When are you embarking on this trip?
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
    ok, I'm actually planning to sleep around Jacksonville for the first night.. So i'll probably take the east coast shore. I fly on the 4th, the bike will be there by the 5th.. so Jacksonville by the 5th at night.

thanks (: