Options

Did I seriously just see....

ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
edited April 2011 in Other Music

A commercial for an insurance company using Ben Harper's "Amen Omen" in it???

I did. I really did.

:(

what a shameful day. :(
Toronto 2000
Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
Boston I&II 2004
Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
Toronto I&II 2011
Buffalo 2013
Toronto I&II 2016
10C: 220xxx
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,881
    Ben's proved his skills long enough, nothing wrong with a little xtra cash. I don't know why that is such a huge thing for people, even the whole PJ and Target thing, who gives a shit... It's music first and foremost, isn't that what we listen to? Who cares what they do, just rock out and enjoy the ride.. Would you not want to make an xtra nice chunk of change for your talents?
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    At least Ben Harper didn't do this for an insurance company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaaHevyxvvA
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    As much as Ray LaMontagne melts my heart, this one broke my heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G7bGBUlx2M
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    edited March 2011
    Who cares?

Everytime I watch a commercial and its playing a song I like, I say to myself "oh cool, atleast theres a good song playing."
    Post edited by 12345AGNST1 on
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I dunno.......I don't get that worked up when I see somebody else's music on a commercial or whatever....

Don't think I would ever do it myself though. Then again my music isnt in that high of demand.
  • Options
    letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    I admit, Im not the biggest fan of artists that i like putting their songs into commercials. But, its a different time in music.

You cant put out a great album and expect to make alot of money off of album sales anymore. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Ten years ago i would have been pissed, but all of the commercials with Black Keys songs in them, for instance, doesnt bother me at all. I find myself saying good for them. Theyve been making great music for years and years. Finally getting some deserved recognition and $$.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,358
    I believe he is going through a divorce.... time to rake in a little more income.
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Did the insurance company want to send viewers to sleep? ;)
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    It's annoying but more annoying is when they get some lame ass band to cover great songs and make them more family friendly. The Ray Lamontagne one really caught me by surprise. I understand artists struggling to keep their integrity while trying to make an extra buck though. There are very few artists (if any) who make good music who haven't "sold out" in some way or another by now.
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    I can understand that the music industry today is hurting..

The Black Keys are selling out like MoFo's but I don't mind so much because they are a newer band. They need the exposure, they need the coin.

I don't think Ben Harper does.

And "Amen Omen" such a beautiful song with a lot of meaning... mixed together with an Insurance Company?!?!?! Doesn't add up.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    Who cares?
    Everytime I watch a commercial and its playing a song I like, I say to myself "oh cool, at least theres a good song playing."
    Exactly. I'd rather hear a song by someone like Ben Harper than the rest of the crap that's used on TV these days
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    I thought Dan Auerbach had an interesting comment about this type of thing and I totally agree with him. If allowing companies to use your music in commercials allows you to stay afloat and do a bigger and better live show or an awesome video like "Howling For You" then I say the means justify the end.

From Cleveland.com
    "The record business has changed," Auerbach said.

"Nobody buys records anymore. We had a No. 1 single on the radio for weeks, and our record only now has gone gold. Ten years ago, if you had a No. 1 single, you'd already sold a million records, at least.

"We want to go out on the road . . . and make the shows as good as they can be, and that costs money.

"In terms of doing commercials, I've never had a problem with it, because I never felt any kinship with that whole Pitchfork world -- that snobby indie-rock world. Pat was more freaked out by that whole 'selling out' thing."

Years ago, Carney told me that the Black Keys turned down an offer to have the title track of their 2003 album "thickfreakness" used in a TV spot for a European brand of mayonnaise.

He's more comfortable with such deals these days.

"Early on, we were scared there would be some sort of backlash," Carney said.

"We weren't selling that many records. We figured if we made a wrong move, we would totally [expletive] up the whole band.

"We slowly eased into it. . . . If it weren't for the licensing and the touring, we wouldn't be making any money. The licensing became an integral part of keeping us afloat."

All the same, the Black Keys don't accept every offer that comes their way.

They just turned down an opportunity to have "Tighten Up" sung by Gwyneth Paltrow in an upcoming episode of the ultra-popular TV series "Glee," Carney said.

"To be honest, we've never seen the show," he said.

"We just didn't want that type of exposure. The thing that was really worrisome about it was that this is our first time having a single that some people know, outside our fan base. If they re-record it, you don't get any creative control over it. At least when we do an ad, we can decide whether it looks rig
    ht or not."
  • Options
    peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I admit, Im not the biggest fan of artists that i like putting their songs into commercials. But, its a different time in music.

You cant put out a great album and expect to make alot of money off of album sales anymore. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Ten years ago i would have been pissed, but all of the commercials with Black Keys songs in them, for instance, doesnt bother me at all. I find myself saying good for them. Theyve been making great music for years and years. Finally getting some deserved recognition and $$.

This is exactly how I feel.
  • Options
    i think one of the more interesting aspects of modern music, is the fact that people like the black keys and ben harper are no longer looked at as sellouts. as recently as in mid to late 90's, bands who did commercials or who had music in movies and all that, they would be considered sellouts and no longer cool and they would see a decline in fans and an increase in bad press. the bands would be considered "not cool".

nowadays in 2011, you have all the cool and hip bands like vampire weekend, and sleigh bells, the national, black keys, arcade fire. these are huge bands at the moment. bands like these are uberhip. yet all of them have had songs on tv, or in movies. And none of them have been called sellouts.

I just think stuff like this is normal. The way people hear of new bands is through commercials like this.
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    It seems like Moby was the first critically acclaimed and popular artist to really give free license to his music for commercials. I want to say I saw an interview with him where he said every song from "Play" had been licensed for ad use. And then he took that ad money and donated it to his favorite causes. Good for him I say.
  • Options
    gabers wrote:
    It seems like Moby was the first critically acclaimed and popular artist to really give free license to his music for commercials. I want to say I saw an interview with him where he said every song from "Play" had been licensed for ad use. And then he took that ad money and donated it to his favorite causes. Good for him I say.

very accurate. while i view the fugazi and minor threat way of doing things as very important, and those guys are probably the only band that never sold out, ever at any time. but i also think times have changed. back in the day, people would hear about new bands by hearing songs on the radio, or via Rolling Stone or Spin. Nowadays, I dont really know anyone who hears about bands via that method. I certainly don't find bands that way.

I cant tell you how many bands I have heard and looked into, because their song was used on a tv show, or a commercial, or in a film.

And the proof is in the pudding. How many bands have gone massive after getting radio play or being mentioned in the pages of spin or rolling stone in the last 10 years? 5 years? 2 years? You could count those bands on one hand, maybe even on 1 or 2 fingers.

Conversely, the bands that have blown up as a result of Grey's Anatomy or Scrubs using them in some emotional scene, or being used in Garden State's soundtrack, even soundtracking a commercial for a product (m and m's, mcdonalds, cars), the number of bands discovered this way is astounding.

this is the result of filesharing. bands dont make money on physical cd's anymore. they need to get income in some way, and this is a good way to do it
  • Options
    peacegirl wrote:

This is exactly how I feel.
    This 'bout hits the nail on the head.
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    Anyone that complains about artists having songs in commercials, tv shows, etc. and then goes online to illegally download their new album is an ignorant idiot that has created the situation that they bitch about.
    hippiemom = goodness