Options

nobody can screw up a song like ben harper

pulaskipulaski Posts: 259
edited April 2008 in The Porch
i was ecstatic last night when i saw jack irons, but then immediately brought down when a saw that stoke mouth ben harper come out to destroy yet another song. i dread seeing ben harper come up on stage. does he even know how these songs go when he sings them? every time he sings a song with ed it sounds like a karaoke song sung by someone who doesnt know how the song goes and they try and fake it by going along with the words. absolutly horrible. he is a great guitar player, but his vocals are dreadfull.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    j3trowkillj3trowkill Posts: 103
    I was there last night but yeah..I think he just sings the song very different and I believe that is his style of singing. It's very obvious in his records, or maybe he is just too high haha!
    "I had a false belief
    I thought I came here to stay
    We're all just visiting
    All just breaking like waves.."

07/09/06
    07/10/06
    07/15/06
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    agreed every version of indifference ...ruined
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,218
    NY PJ1 wrote:

tell me about it, I have seen that happen like 5 times.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Agreed.

The worst part is that if you watch Ben as he sings, you can see that he is pouring his heart in to the song. He jsut can't sing it. At all.

Please Ben, stay the hell away from MSG on 6/24 and 6/25 :)

u just know he is gonna be there ..unless he is on tour somewhere else
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    I have two words to help you appreciate Ben Harper.
    Corin Tucker.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    Corin Tucker.

Yeah. That puts it in perspective. Go Ben!
  • Options
    ogre1213ogre1213 Posts: 391
    haha this thread is funny
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,218
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    Corin Tucker.

Yeah I guess Ben isnt THAT bad.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    you all are .................well, just wrong.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    This thread made me laugh.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    Corin Tucker.
    hate to say it, but amen to that :D

And btw, I have enjoyed hearing and seeing Ben Harper. I don't think he 'butchers' songs as badly as you guys think. Plus, it is always nice to see and hear someone else's interpretation of a song.
  • Options
    SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    Maybe he messes up pearl jam songs (which I wouldnt know since Ive never seen it), but on his own songs he was a awesome voice.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Options
    I dont mind him, he gives the band respect.

But I know nobody is aloud to get up on stage with Ed, its in the fans Handbook pg 45 right.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    the wolf wrote:
    you all are .................well, just wrong.

I agree with you.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    bookembookem Posts: 91
    Ben Harper has an awesome voice. Just cause he sings different to Ed doesn't make it bad.

I saw Ben live a year or 2 ago and I have to say it was probably one of the most awesome concerts I've been to (including PJ gigs). And I'm planning to go see him again this June.

If he decides to make an appearance at MSG 1 this year, then well, I'd more than appreciate it.

Sydney - 11.03.1998
    Melbourne - 18.02.2003
    Sydney - 07.11.2006
    Nijmegen - 28.06.2007
    New York - 24.06.2008
    London - 18.08.2009
    London - 25.06.2010
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    I myself always enjoy seeing Ben with PJ...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    I appreciate the boldness of this claim, and I have to admit it is true. Let us not forget that our boy Ed can perform quite a hack job on his own songs as well, but bringing Ben in just never sounds good. I want it to because I love Ben so much. My wife cringed during LATG, and none of the others sound good either. I've heard him do Indifference by himself and it was ok, but not when he does it with PJ/Ed. I saw him at the El Rey in LA (night 2) in 06 and it might be the best show I've ever seen, it was that amazing, it's just hard for me to say anything was better than PJ at the gorge in 05. I love Ben, but he doesn't mix well with Ed.
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    I don't think Ben butchers any PJ songs. He just sings them differently, which many people apparently don't like. To each his own, of course, but I actually like Ben's guest vocals. They lend something different to the songs when he sings them.

It was awesome hearing him on "No More" and "Watchtower" last night. Just one man's opinion, of course, but I actually preferred the Night 2 version of "No More" with Ben to Night 1 without.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    NY PJ1 wrote:

agreed makes a mess every time....
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    pulaski wrote:
    i was ecstatic last night when i saw jack irons, but then immediately brought down when a saw that stoke mouth ben harper come out to destroy yet another song. i dread seeing ben harper come up on stage. does he even know how these songs go when he sings them? every time he sings a song with ed it sounds like a karaoke song sung by someone who doesnt know how the song goes and they try and fake it by going along with the words. absolutly horrible. he is a great guitar player, but his vocals are dreadfull.

so you don't like arc and now you don't like ben

what's really going on here??
  • Options
    Are you people that are complaining about it ever gonna get the chance to sing it onstage with Ed? Probably not. You're just jealous that Ben is cool and you are not as cool. Get over it.

You dont know what you got till its gooooone.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    You dont know what you got till its gooooone.

Did you just quote Cinderella? Hhahahahaah.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    so lucky you got see jack irons! count your blessing man :P
  • Options
    crashing88crashing88 Posts: 203
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Please Ben, stay the hell away from MSG on 6/24 and 6/25 :)

Ditto.
  • Options
    B.H. has plenty of time 'special' guest at the PJ shows.
    Pearl Jam's Tour Dates: June 11 - June 30
    Ben Harper Tour Dates: July 4 - July 26
    http://www.benharper.net/?section=tour-dates
    Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse.
  • Options
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    Corin Tucker.
    May I please give you a big hug...?
    Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse.
  • Options
    If there is gonna be a hug, I want in. They make days better.

And yes, Danimal, I was quoting Cinderella. My best friend and I always do it. Think Baseketball. Steeeeve Perry.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    If there is gonna be a hug, I want in. They make days better.
    I give good hug.
  • Options
    I agree I am not a Ben fan and I have seen him come out a few times and It is not a high light for me personaly. But he does give the boys repect and should be shown some by the fans.

Corin Tuckers voice totaly compliments Eds. also Sleater kinney is the only band ive ever seen that can go toe to toe with pearl Jam. Just as good live with not near the catalog pearl jam comes with.

Long live sleater kinney the greatest live band ive seen
  • Options
    I bet you do. I've been told that I give good hug, too. Maybe we would just float off into the ether.
    Chicago 8-23-09