The Music Industry

KravenKraven Posts: 829
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I am currently looking for a career in the music industry, and I was just wondering if anyone on these forums works or worked in the industry. I have a business degree and want to get into that side of the industry. Does living on the West Coast offer a better opportunity to find a job? I live in Connecticut at the moment, and it doesn't seem to fit my dreams and aspirations. If you have any info or advice, please let me know. Thanks.
32 shows and counting...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Kraven wrote:
    I am currently looking for a career in the music industry, and I was just wondering if anyone on these forums works or worked in the industry. I have a business degree and want to get into that side of the industry. Does living on the West Coast offer a better opportunity to find a job? I live in Connecticut at the moment, and it doesn't seem to fit my dreams and aspirations. If you have any info or advice, please let me know. Thanks.
    CT here also. Sophomore at UConn and switching my major to business to also get a job in the music industry.

You can try New York, Nashville (which is popular now), or the west coast. I plan on doing the west coast after college, seeing how my cousin could potentially get me a job where he works after I graduate.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Newch91 wrote:
    You can try New York, Nashville (which is popular now), or the west coast. I plan on doing the west coast after college, seeing how my cousin could potentially get me a job where he works after I graduate.

Yeah I did my internship at a Brooklyn based music company. New York City is OK, not my favorite city. If you don't mind me asking where does your cousin work?
    32 shows and counting...
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Kraven wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Yeah I did my internship at a Brooklyn based music company. New York City is OK, not my favorite city. If you don't mind me asking where does your cousin work?
    To be honest, I have no idea. He works in LA and I've asked him before where he works but I forgot what the place is called.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    I thought the music industry has died with the surviving labels laying off huge amounts of employees in management and development... Keep us updated, would like to hear a success story!
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • as an artist myself (non music), i would never discourage anyone with a dream. However, i do have to agree, i can see wanting to be a musician, or own a label, an indie label, or run a venue etc... but being part of the dying or dead music industry? First thing I thought of when I saw your thread was "what industry"? I'd think you should be looking at indie labels and people involved with the cutting edge ways of getting music out online, as opposed to slaving away for some CEO, who honestly doesnt give a damn about music in the first place.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I am a rock star, what do you want to know?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Gvn2flyGvn2fly Posts: 753
    I worked in the music industry for about 7 years, up until 06 I think it was. I was fortunate to be able to really experience the music industry life and gosh to I have some killer memories! That is until napster, mp3, and best buy killed it to no fault of theirs, it just evolved as it always has.

It was my career at the time. Was able to make a living out of it no doubt. I wasn't an "executive" by any means but I had a nice career and figured that that was what I was going to do for the next 20 years.

I was in distribution, sales and marketing. But since the demise of the traditional record store (I know some still exist but VERY few) downsizing was inevitable. Add in file sharing, iTunes, my space, best buy selling records under cost, etc and forget about it. It was time to find a new career.

It's been a while but even back then music industry jobs were few and far between unless u really know some one. I really don't want to discourage u but maybe have a plan B career. Seriously. Its an industry with very few jobs left. There was never many jobs to begin with And it's a cool job so everyone wants to do it so when there is an opening u may never know Back when I was in it there seemed to be either super high paying positions and then super low paying positions with high turnover rates. Not much in between.

Other advise I can give u is maybe instead try to get into radio.

Just trying to be honest with you and help. Just my experience, doesn't mean I'm right!
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Gvn2fly wrote:
    Other advise I can give u is maybe instead try to get into radio.
    i have a couple friends in radio... from what i hear that's just as bad... less and less jobs out there
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    hey Kraven, i have vhs tapes, and some cassetts for sale. pm me if you are interested in buying them. ;)
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    as an artist myself (non music), i would never discourage anyone with a dream. However, i do have to agree, i can see wanting to be a musician, or own a label, an indie label, or run a venue etc... but being part of the dying or dead music industry? First thing I thought of when I saw your thread was "what industry"? I'd think you should be looking at indie labels and people involved with the cutting edge ways of getting music out online, as opposed to slaving away for some CEO, who honestly doesnt give a damn about music in the first place.

I guess the term "music industry" is used to describe the old ways? I just meant somewhere in the field of music. I have a degree in business, so I want to work on that side of it all. I would love to work for a small indie label, or something of the sort. I just don't really know anyone in the field, except for the people I did my internship for and they haven't been all that helpful.

I have worked in retail, believe me, I don't think I could ever be treated any worse by my higher ups. Talk about slaving away for someone who doesn't give a damn about you
    32 shows and counting...
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Rock and Roll will never die, it might just kill you along the way.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    The new way might be to hook up with an up and coming artist and start a management company, lost a grass roots, like Joe Bonamassa. That seems to be the new model for launching artists, at least in rock...
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    Live sound is where the 'money' is.

But you'll be on the road all the time, won't see your family, girlfriend, kids. You won't be the rock star who gets the hotel, you'll be living out of a bus. And you'll need to find another job in the winter.

Having your passion as a job sounds fantastic but the work side of it can quickly wipe out the passion.

Listen to Life During Wartime by the Talking Heads.

My advice, get a good steady job that involves the traits and characteristics of what you're passionate about. Then pursue your passion outside of work.

And if you do pursue the recording/music industry in a saturated market (NY, LA, TN, PNW) you'll be working for free untill you earn your keep...then you'll move up to $10 bucks an hour. 5-8 years later, if you're not laid off by then you'll start to earn an entry level salary and your career will begin.

I'd say the best city to start a recording career would be Minneapolis, or Austin
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg