Drinking and Giving Blood

Cradles Broken GlassCradles Broken Glass Posts: 1,409
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I gave blood today and they said no alcohol for 24 hours, but it's Friday and the kid is at the grandparents. I want some wine!!! I donated around 11:00 this morning, am I ok to drink now? Just wondering if anyone knows. Thanks!
Hearts and thoughts they fade....
fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    First of all, I just want to let you know that this thread made my day. :D

The reason they tell you not to drink for 24 hours after you give blood is simply because you have a pint less blood. Your body can't filter out the alcohol as quickly, or really process anything as quickly, since you have fewer red blood cells and plasma working for you. That's one of the reasons that some people feel light headed after donating blood, because your red blood cells carry oxygen and since you have fewer after giving blood, you feel light headed. That's why they also recommend that you don't do any strenuous exercise for 24 hours either.

If you want to drink wine, you will be fine. Just don't get lambasted. One or two. . . or three glasses should be fine.

Back when I was allowed to donate (I have Crohn's disease now) my friends and I would all donate at the same time, then immediately after we donated we would go back to our apartment and do a double shot of whiskey. I'm pretty tall and can hold my own, but after donating blood, two shots of whiskey is enough to get me feeling goofy. Was it a smart idea? No. Did anyone die? No. Was it really really fun? Yes.

Also, speaking for the thousands upon thousands of people who need blood transfusions everyday, thank you very much for donating! Less than 5% of the eligible population actually donate and 30% of that 5% only donate once. Your contribution to the blood supply might just go on to save someone's life! :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • csblake111csblake111 Posts: 147
    I donate regularly and am always told that. They want you to rehydrate by drinking lots of fluids after donating and alcohol is a little bit dehydrating, so I'd probably stop after one glass and then follow up with a couple of glasses of water.

I actually tried to donate today and was told that my iron level was too low, so they rejected me. :(
  • Thanks guys. I think I will be ok. We just have a rule at our house that we don't drink in front of our son and this is my chance for the week,lol. I will just have a couple. ;)
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,401
    I always have my regular couple of drinks after giving blood. But I follow the "don't exercise" rules.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I remember in college when it was Blood Drive day, and everyone in our house (and throughout the university, I'm sure) made it a point to drink that night because it took less alcohol to get drunk :)
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln