Deer Tick - where to start?

he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
edited March 2011 in Other Music
So I've been a fan of Delta Spirit for a while now and Middle Brother has prompted me to check out Deer Tick. Really digging it and was wondering what I should start with if I purchase an album or two. Also interested to hear about the other Middle Brother member's band...is it Dawes???
Cheers :D
We were but stones your light made us stars
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    I started with Born on Flag Day, that and, Black Dirt Sessions are really solid albums...First thing I saw or heard from DT was a youtube video of John singing in someones kitchen. I was hooked right there....just started getting into Dawes..I'm pretty sure they only have one album out so far...but yeah, Born on Flag Day was a really good intro for me.
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• chimpatchimpat Posts: 589
    Yeah, I'd start with Born On Flag Day.... great album. Love the DT stuff though, can't really go wrong with any of their albums.

As for Dawes, they only have one album out, North Hills. Damn good album, love it. Their new album comes out this year, can't wait for that.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• LiftedLifted Posts: 1,583
    if you want to hear some deer tick, you could go look on amazon, read about their albums, listen to clips, maybe download an album. real easy, and when you research yourself, you will find that the results are usually better than getting your advice from someone who knows very little about what kind of music you are into if anything at all. that said, War Elephant is my favorite album from them. and they only have two official full length lps as far as i know, so there really isn't much to sort through.
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    I'm a big fan of Black Dirt Sessions. And yes, Dawes is definitely worth checking out.
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    Dawes is probably my favorite band of the 3. For Deer tick I like Born on Flag Day a lot, they have a few interesting 7" too. Deer Tick has a few Daytrotter sessions so you could check those out and see what you likem Dawes has a couple as well.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I like war elephant and born on flag day a lot.

black dirt is cool too though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    saw deer tick, dawes and middle brother in chicago a few weeks ago... was one of the best shows ive EVER seen, deer tick rocked, so did middle brother, but for me, dawes stole the show. they were amazing! i have their first album, north hills, its great and they'll have a new one out soon...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    war elephant is what made me a fan
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    Saw these guys open for Dr. Dog last year. Really liked them a lot. I have "Baltimore Blues No. 1" stuck in my head right now!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    kasedoug wrote:
    Saw these guys open for Dr. Dog last year. Really liked them a lot. I have "Baltimore Blues No. 1" stuck in my head right now!

I went to see Dr. Dog last year only because of Deer Tick.

Born on Flag Day and War Elephant are both great as someone else said.
  • these guys are getting better and better. LOVE THEM
    the new songs went over amazingly
    hope is big
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    I wish Middle Brother would tour again
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    deer tick on a boat in june in boston -- then they're opening for nathaniel rateliff the following night.  saw nathaniel ratelifff for the first time at the MMJ festival this March -- they KILLED it.
    making the trip up -- anyone else going?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I saw them do an Elvis Costello album live at Brooklyn Bowl a few years back as I was there to see the opening band. I hate Elvis Costello so this show was not for me...
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    The Fixer said:
    deer tick on a boat in june in boston -- then they're opening for nathaniel rateliff the following night.  saw nathaniel ratelifff for the first time at the MMJ festival this March -- they KILLED it.
    The Fixer said:
    Deer Tick and Nathaniel Rateliff together?  Damn, what a show. I'm seeing NR Saturday night. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    deer tick is one of the best bands out there right now.  saw them three consecutive nights earlier this month (twice in boston (the show on the boat was insane) and once in long island).  just found this online, highly recommended.  enjoy

http://www.nyctaper.com/2018/06/deer-tick-june-9-2018-the-junction-long-beach-ny-brull-foundation-benefit/
    tomorrow in baltimore
    sunday in philly

new album is solid.  follows their double album last year, which is awesome.  they kill it live.  

A lot of their songs may be related to cocaine, which I don't mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gKsCAokPZk
    scored tix for the brooklyn show in december.  this new years run could be the last run for a while methinks.  I bet mccauley dips out and spends some time on side projects for a while.  would love a diamond rugs and/or middle brother revival.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Boom! Playing a Saturday night in Chicago....so pumped to have shows to look forward to again.

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    BIG BUMP FOR DEER TICK!

Emotional Contracts is a great sunday morning spin. 

I get to see them for the first time this October
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    is The Real Thing a perfect song? Damn near it, gives me chills
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    is The Real Thing a perfect song? Damn near it, gives me chills

That's an incredible song.  Really enjoying the new album.  Finally going to see them live for the first time in November.  
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Seeing them again in a few weeks. Can’t wait. Their consistency is amazing. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
    I have no idea what to expect from a live show with them except that it will be great! Excited to experience it 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016

Well Atlanta was great! I posted the setlist in the setlist hunters thread if you are interested. Ashamed and The Real Thing were my highlights. Great energy, funny commentary, and sweet merch if you are into it.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Deervana. Would be cool if they released a cover album some day! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • I went to see the opener for Deer Tick a while back at Brooklyn Bowl.  Heard good things about them.  They decide to play all of an Elvis Costello album. I am not a fan of Elvis Costello... We left.

I know I need to give them another chance.
    Country Westerns surprised me! I enjoyed their set. Been meaning to listen to their studio stuff for a while. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Country Westerns surprised me! I enjoyed their set. Been meaning to listen to their studio stuff for a while. 
    looking forward to seeing them open on saturday.  they sound like a mix of lucero and the hold steady to me.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.