Plane Tickets?!?!?

averee2moonaveree2moon Posts: 7
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
In your experience Is it better to purchase plane tickets in advance or at the last minute?? Just wandering what others thought about it! :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    imo, plane early, hotel late.

although plane tickets fluculate so damn much.

i'm following my flight to san fran from chicago in late june.

booked it at 240 round trip.

about a week later it was up to 500

it has been slipping back and is now sitting right at 400
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Depends how popular the flight is. Leave it too late and the plane may be full.

I've also noticed recently that with some flights it's cheaper to book months before as the prices start going up nearer the time. I paid £172 for a return flight to Turkey 3 months ago. My daughter decided she wants to come along and with the same airline, same flight £196 a month ago.

As 81 said book hotels late, or see if they have special deals at anytime.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    in my experience, it really depends on where/when you are flying. Major city/small city. Are there lots of flights coming and going?

Seattle to Montana: not very many flights to there, so we bought tix once 4 months in advance $375/RT. If we waited and bought last munute, it would have cost $525. (It would've been cheaper to fly Seattle to SLC to Montana)

Times count too. right now, I can fly from Seattle to LAX tomorrow at 7:25am and pay $325 First Class, OR fly out tomorrow at 9:15am for $759 Coach.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    we use priceline to name our own price. works well if you don't mind a little suspense on where you are going to stay.

i also found that if you are going to visit a city a second time, you can call up the hotel you stayed at the first time, explain that you stayed there for X amount and ask if they will take that directly. the one place we stayed would have, but they were booked solid for the weekend for some function.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    I just bought a ticket to New York from SF. Flying next friday, returning Sunday the following week. Got my ticket for less than $300. On Sunday the same flight was priced at $750. You never know. ...my advice is to find out what a good price for a ticket to your destination is and when you see one in that range snatch it up. There may be a better deal later, but there may not and then you end up paying a lot more.

Where you going?
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    bought a few :roll: tix philly to/from seattle over the past few years
    and this is what i've found to be true...it really is
    purchase between tuesday morning and the wee wee hours of wednesday morning
    the weekend price hikes are over and the mid-week price wars begin on tuesday and seem to hit a low end on wednesday..most specifically the wee early morning hours on a wednesday morning
    yep you know, after tuesday midnight ~ not after wednesday midnight cuz then you'll catch the prices going back up again for thurs, fri and the weekend buyers
    i'm talking all eastern time here, and so your times may be different, keep a close eye on it
    its worth your wallet to stay up ... the prices are really worth the bleary eyed wednesday workday
    i just generally do most of my shopping/pricing at those hours (kids you know)
    and turns out, that's the best time to buy airfare
    check it out....well, too late for this week..but check it out...start on tuesday early and check back a few times until the wee hours on wednesday morning..you'll see what i mean, it's true
    believe me we have done a lot of searching for low prices
    also, we've found that the best prices tend to be had about 3 wks out
    UNLESS you don't mind hanging round the airport and doing a standby, then grab it up last minute, but that's a risky proposition if you don't like hanging out and sleeping in airports or you have to be somewhere at a set time
    you can save a lot that way, but it can be a real hassle
    also
    so far we've found that buying direct from delta is the least expensive way to go
    of course that depends on what city you're flying in/out of
    i hear that southwest drives a hard bargain as well (but never used them)
    but we've always done best with delta
    the bargain fare finder sites haven't been able to do as good a job as going direct to the airline
    at least in our case
    OH and one more thing...
    consider flying into/out of your next closest airport
    for instance flying into philly might cost say $40 more than flying into newark
    then again it might cost $40 for the gas from newark to home, so its a toss up
    BUT your next closest airport may be much cheaper than that...so check it out

good luck!
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • RYEzupSF wrote:
    I just bought a ticket to New York from SF. Flying next friday, returning Sunday the following week. Got my ticket for less than $300. On Sunday the same flight was priced at $750. You never know. ...my advice is to find out what a good price for a ticket to your destination is and when you see one in that range snatch it up. There may be a better deal later, but there may not and then you end up paying a lot more.

Where you going?

CT to PIT. not a far distance but flying beats driving! Thanks I think i should stop procrastinating :)
  • StillHere wrote:
    bought a few :roll: tix philly to/from seattle over the past few years
    and this is what i've found to be true...it really is
    purchase between tuesday morning and the wee wee hours of wednesday morning
    the weekend price hikes are over and the mid-week price wars begin on tuesday and seem to hit a low end on wednesday..most specifically the wee early morning hours on a wednesday morning
    yep you know, after tuesday midnight ~ not after wednesday midnight cuz then you'll catch the prices going back up again for thurs, fri and the weekend buyers
    i'm talking all eastern time here, and so your times may be different, keep a close eye on it
    its worth your wallet to stay up ... the prices are really worth the bleary eyed wednesday workday
    i just generally do most of my shopping/pricing at those hours (kids you know)
    and turns out, that's the best time to buy airfare
    check it out....well, too late for this week..but check it out...start on tuesday early and check back a few times until the wee hours on wednesday morning..you'll see what i mean, it's true
    believe me we have done a lot of searching for low prices
    also, we've found that the best prices tend to be had about 3 wks out
    UNLESS you don't mind hanging round the airport and doing a standby, then grab it up last minute, but that's a risky proposition if you don't like hanging out and sleeping in airports or you have to be somewhere at a set time
    you can save a lot that way, but it can be a real hassle
    also
    so far we've found that buying direct from delta is the least expensive way to go
    of course that depends on what city you're flying in/out of
    i hear that southwest drives a hard bargain as well (but never used them)
    but we've always done best with delta
    the bargain fare finder sites haven't been able to do as good a job as going direct to the airline
    at least in our case
    OH and one more thing...
    consider flying into/out of your next closest airport
    for instance flying into philly might cost say $40 more than flying into newark
    then again it might cost $40 for the gas from newark to home, so its a toss up
    BUT your next closest airport may be much cheaper than that...so check it out

good luck!

Thanks for the advice, think I am going to wait until next Tues-Wed
    Bubbles wrote:
    imo, plane early, hotel late.

although plane tickets fluculate so damn much.

i'm following my flight to san fran from chicago in late june.

booked it at 240 round trip.

about a week later it was up to 500

it has been slipping back and is now sitting right at 400

my flight is back up to 500 today.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    I'm lucky enough to be married to a flight attendant 8-) .
    I keep my fingers crossed & fly stand-by :lol:.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    I tried to buy at plane ticket to Nashville a few weeks ago. I ended up just getting frustrated and driving. I would advise using good old Google to search for some articles on the subject. They tell you the best weeks and days to buy. It feels a bit like watching the stock market. About 3 weeks or so before the flight they seem pretty cheap. I've heard that 8 weeks out is good too. The person who said Tuesdays/early Wednesdays gave you great advice. Prices seem to change about twice a day, and those days are the best, because that's when airlines release sales and whatnot. DON'T buy on the weekends; the airlines seem to jack up prices then.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    And of course gas prices and such impact plane ticket pricing, so keep that in mind.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
    485 for my flight, but if you don't mind leaving at 6:20 it's only 400

it's retarded how airlines change prices on daily for the same friggen flight. why can't they just say this flight is X from day 1 to day 364.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • In your experience Is it better to purchase plane tickets in advance or at the last minute?? Just wandering what others thought about it! :)
    Well I got my tix late Tuesday night, directly from the airline seemed to be the best option and I paid $350 roundtrip. A little more than I wanted but it is what it is!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    It also depends on the season and where you are flying to. Regardless book it on a TUESDAY...i forgot what the reason was but book it on that day.

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

still 485.

:roll:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    and today they are all at 456

i swear, they have a monkey in the back room just punching numbers in.

it makes zero sense.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg