Japan: Before & After

haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan ... eafter.htm
(move your mouse across each photo to see)

It's all still very surreal,
especially for those of us with friends and family there, or simply have a deep connection with the country.
I can't help but cry when I watch the situation get worse now.

My father has had a dream for a while now to go to his hometown and begin an exchange program with a community in B.C. he has been working in the past couple years. We have been talking about going back to Japan to start making that a reality. I'm not sure how it will work now, since he is from the Iwate Prefecture. 80% of his town is under water.

Now were just watching the death toll rise and the threats of nuclear activity getting worse.
And I don't know... it's hard to explain.
Sorry for another thread. :(
live pearl jam is best pearl jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    It is scary, wtf is going on in this world lately.
    Is the world ending? Seems that way.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    wow. that's amazing...

Terrible tragedy.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    It's such a terrible tragedy :(
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Claireack wrote:
    It's such a terrible tragedy :(
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • byttermanbytterman Posts: 136
    haffajappa wrote:

Something don't require the word sorry, and this is certainly one of them...pictures are simply awful... :cry:
  • haffajappa wrote:
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter.htm
    (move your mouse across each photo to see)

It's all still very surreal,
    especially for those of us with friends and family there, or simply have a deep connection with the country.
    I can't help but cry when I watch the situation get worse now.

My father has had a dream for a while now to go to his hometown and begin an exchange program with a community in B.C. he has been working in the past couple years. We have been talking about going back to Japan to start making that a reality. I'm not sure how it will work now, since he is from the Iwate Prefecture. 80% of his town is under water.

Now were just watching the death toll rise and the threats of nuclear activity getting worse.
    And I don't know... it's hard to explain.
    wow those pics are unreal. total devastation. look at all of the stuff on the ground in the before pics and then in the after ones there is nothing left. how terribly sad. :(
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I had just seen those pictures at another site. The devastation is so horrible and I feel powerless. I've also realized how interconnected we are--your father's home province is affected, a young woman from my home town is a teacher in Sendai and her family hasn't heard from her . . . .

:cry:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I look at images like that, and I keep hoping that the people who lived there heard the warnings and maybe were able to get out in time... the scale of devastation is unimaginable.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • myramyra Posts: 1,257
    Thanks for the link. Heard it on the radio but hadn't seen the images up till now. So impressive and sad. Unbelievable really, I sort of thought that if there was one country that could resist earthquakes, tsunami or such, that must have been Japan. I guess nature can prove you wrong, no matter how hard you try to protect yourself. I like to think that the images of the reconstruction will be even more impressive than that of the disaster...
  • byttermanbytterman Posts: 136
    This would be a happy picture if it weren't so fucking sad...

Tsunami-victim-Hiromitsu--007.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/13/japan-tsunami-survivor-shinkawa-rescued-fukushima?intcmp=239

Japan tsunami survivor Hiromitsu Shinkawa found 10 miles out at sea
    Rescuers spot 60-year-old from Fukushima prefecture clinging to the roof of his home two days after the tsunami struck
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    seismologists from around the world said the entire island of Japan was displaced by 7.5 feet and the Earth's axis shifted by 6.5 inches
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    bytterman wrote:
    This would be a happy picture if it weren't so fucking sad...

Tsunami-victim-Hiromitsu--007.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/13/japan-tsunami-survivor-shinkawa-rescued-fukushima?intcmp=239

Japan tsunami survivor Hiromitsu Shinkawa found 10 miles out at sea
    Rescuers spot 60-year-old from Fukushima prefecture clinging to the roof of his home two days after the tsunami struck

I heard about this.
    Truly amazing.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • my heart is aching for those in Japan, all those who are missing, whose lives have been lost, whose family have been lost,whose friends have been lost, whose homes, everything has been lost

nature has been so cruel to this world as of late, as humans we are so powerless against the force, the huge giant hand that is shaking the planet so violently

it's tragic, hearing about it on the news and i feel awful. soo many innocent lives lost.