Ed's amps

szechuanszechuan Posts: 17
edited March 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ed has had the same line-up of 3 tweed amps (2 of them mic'd) for a while now. Anyone know for certain which amps these are? Are they all vintage Fender tweed's? I would guess the 2 outer amps are tweed Deluxe's (makes sense based on his affection for Neil Young) and the one in the middle is either a double Deluxe or a Bassman - but that's just my guess from looking at photos. I know Pete Townshend has been seen recently playing a Lazy J "J 20" (Jesse's take on a tweed Deluxe) so is it possible that Ed's amps are not vintage Fender's but rather something boutique-y like his man PT? Any info would be appreciated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I think the jury figured that he had two vintage tweed Deluxe amps with a tweed Twin sandwiched in the middle. I don't know if the Twin is vintage, or if it's one of the recent reissues. The two Deluxes have been around a bit longer than the Twin, but the belief is that he uses the Twin for clean tones, and switches to the Deluxes, cranked, for dirt. Ed's never been much for pedals, and when he had his Hiwatt, he pretty much made his tone clean or dirty by varying the guitar's volume, and his attack. Even now, he basically just uses an A/B switch (the famous "Soap / Dirt" labeled pedal).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.