Soft Water

MSnider44MSnider44 Posts: 746
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I absolutely hate, with a passion, soft water. I live in a condo building where nothing can be done about it because it's building-wide, not individual condos. It takes me 20 minutes to get the soapy feeling off me once I start rinsing. Hate it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    It does suck but hard water is a problem too. There's no winning.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    if they are using softners there is a reason behind it.

there would be ALOT of problems if they used hard water in the plumbing/heating system.
  • Why don't you use less soap? Soft water doesn't make you slippery look it up, that feeling is your body's natural pores
    dCowboyPJ wrote:
    if they are using softners there is a reason behind it.

there would be ALOT of problems if they used hard water in the plumbing/heating system.

Yeah we have a water softener filter thing at my house. It takes forever to get the soap out of my hair but it's better than having to replace corroded fixtures every 6 months which we were doing.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • autumnautumn Posts: 191
    It's funny because I paid a lot of money to get my water soft. I have a whole house filter and I love it. You're not actually still soapy, you just have to get used to it. Good luck!
    autumn wrote:
    It's funny because I paid a lot of money to get my water soft. I have a whole house filter and I love it. You're not actually still soapy, you just have to get used to it. Good luck!

what do you mean by a whole house filter?

btw i'm a plumber. thats why i'm asking. i'm always interested in what people have.
  • autumnautumn Posts: 191
    dCowboyPJ wrote:
    autumn wrote:

btw i'm a plumber. thats why i'm asking. i'm always interested in what people have.

I have a filter (based in my basement) that filters all the water that comes to my house. So I don't have to have a seperate filter for the sink, the shower, etc. All of the water in my house is filtered upon entry to my home. I've had it for about 10 years, and I love it! It filters and softens the water. I have to replace the salt block (that softens the water) every other month or so and the filters are replaced every year.
    dCowboyPJ wrote:
    autumn wrote:

We have a water softening unit like a hot water heater type deal that holds salt and sits at the pipe where the water comes into the house.

What Autumn said lol
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

• Whole house-likely a carbon/charcoal filter that removes chlorine from water

If so it likely should be changed annually depending on size and water usage, carbon however doesn't soften your water
    So is it a straight up softner or some type of duel softener/filtering tank? Because I have never seen anything like that before. Although I do commercial plumbing and I don't know alot about special residential things like that.
  • dCowboyPJ wrote:
    So is it a straight up softner or some type of duel softener/filtering tank? Because I have never seen anything like that before. Although I do commercial plumbing and I don't know alot about special residential things like that.
    You can buy a "mixed bed" softener that would have both resin and carbon and would do both jobs that is what I have as well as a reverse osmosis system for my drinking water and ice
    dCowboyPJ wrote:
    You can buy a "mixed bed" softener that would have both resin and carbon and would do both jobs that is what I have as well as a reverse osmosis system for my drinking water and ice

i see. well thats good to know.

RO systems are nice. the only problem with them is that some of them can waste alot of water.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I wish I had a water softener in my condo!!!!

Makes my skin MUCH, MUCH happier!
    That and it cleans your dishes and clothes better than hard water.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    Is the OP talking about water pressure?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Is the OP talking about water pressure?
    :lol:

hard water = excessive minerals in the water

soft water = excess minerals removed from water
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,610
    It does suck but hard water is a problem too. There's no WINNING!!!.
    www.myspace.com
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Dude, if you experienced the hard water in our area you might be singing a different tune. It's fucking ridiculous.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    mca47 wrote:
    I wish I had a water softener in my condo!!!!

Makes my skin MUCH, MUCH happier!
    That and it cleans your dishes and clothes better than hard water.

This post has the approval stamp of dcfaithful.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    This thread is useless without pictures.

Just felt like saying that.
    Claireack wrote:
    This thread is useless without pictures.

Just felt like saying that.

some big softners i put in

photo3.jpg?t=1299880138
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    dCowboyPJ wrote:

i'm going to call you when it's time to replace the water heater. hehe
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    dCowboyPJ wrote:

i'm going to call you when it's time to replace the water heater. hehe

i accept pearl jam memorabilia and/or beer as payment.