School bus driver fired over Confederate flag

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
i believe if some one is a full on idiot and wants to display that fact to any and all
they should be able to do so

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41998713/ns ... ?GT1=43001

GRANTS PASS, Ore. — An Oregon school bus driver fired after he refused to remove a Confederate battle flag flying from his pickup truck has enlisted the help of a conservative civil liberties group in hopes of getting his job back.

The Rutherford Institute of Charlottesville, Va., sent a letter Wednesday to First Student Bus Transportation Services demanding that Ken Webber of Medford, Ore., be reinstated. The institute says flying the flag is covered by his First Amendment right to free speech.

Webber says he was fired Tuesday for gross insubordination after refusing to remove the flag, which is also emblazoned with the word Redneck. At issue is the time he parks the pickup at the bus yard, which is on school property.

First Student spokeswoman Bonnie Bastian did not immediately respond to a telephone call and e-mail for comment.
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,260
    I agree but if it's on a SCHOOL BUS not hi's own private space Glad he got canned ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Agree it was his own truck,not the school bus.If he wants to celebrate his redneckdome his choice I guess :?
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Agree it was his own truck,not the school bus.If he wants to celebrate his redneckdome his choice I guess :?
    Agree!!!

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    they could can half of the south for this.

i bet he wins and if i was on the jury, i would vote in his favor.

if those nut job west boro people can protest funerals, this guy can sport a confederate flag.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    81 wrote:
    if those nut job west boro people can protest funerals, this guy can sport a confederate flag.

Right?? Jesus.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    His truck is parked on school property. Schools have the right to expect certain rules and/or policies to be followed. Free speech does not allow a person to run into a school and shout "BOMB!" or fire, or gun...etc..
    The confederate flag is associated with hate and racism, so certain groups are protected. If a student is allowed to wear a confederate flag shirt to school, then that was a stupid move on the schools part...I don't think the entire story is not being told.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    RKCNDY wrote:
    His truck is parked on school property. Schools have the right to expect certain rules and/or policies to be followed. Free speech does not allow a person to run into a school and shout "BOMB!" or fire, or gun...etc..
    The confederate flag is associated with hate and racism, so certain groups are protected. If a student is allowed to wear a confederate flag shirt to school, then that was a stupid move on the schools part...I don't think the entire story is not being told.

Duke boys had a confederate flag on the General Lee. i don't think anyone would say they are racist or bad peoples.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    I agree but if it's on a SCHOOL BUS not hi's own private space Glad he got canned ...

it was on his private vehicle

i am not a proponent of the message these rednecks are putting out there with their confederate flags
    but i think it shows what an ignorant fucking ignoramous hillbilly he is
    and that is his right
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    chickweed wrote:

it was on his private vehicle

i am not a proponent of the message these rednecks are putting out there with their confederate flags
    but i think it shows what an ignorant fucking ignoramous hillbilly he is
    and that is his right

:clap:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

Duke boys had a confederate flag on the General Lee. i don't think anyone would say they are racist or bad peoples.

I like Bo and Luke just fine...as fictional TV characters.
    According to Wiki:
    According to Civil War historian and native Southerner Shelby Foote, the flag traditionally represented the South's resistance to Northern political dominance; it became racially charged during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 1960s, when fighting against desegregation suddenly became the focal point of that resistance.

Symbols of the Confederacy remain a contentious issue across the United States and their civic placement has been debated vigorously in many Southern state legislatures since the 1990s.

Unless the bus driver is truly a 'good ol boy' he is probably doing this for publicity. Has he always flown the flag? Is he new? So many factors come into play.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    it's a pretty flag, ya know if ya take the Redneck off it and disregard history. Very (ecstatically) pleasing.
    not sure thats the right word.
    yet NBC aired there show, and CMT ran reruns for years. not to mention hollywood put it up on the big screen not so long ago. does that make all those entities suppporters of racism?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    yet NBC aired there show, and CMT ran reruns for years. not to mention hollywood put it up on the big screen not so long ago. does that make all those entities suppporters of racism?

that was back in the 70s and 80s for the show...back then, they were not as politically correct as we are now...people spewed the 'N' word. Huck Finn was recently revamped to take that word out, as well as To Kill a Mockingbird.
    The 'revival' of old TV shows is the latest trend, I cannot remember everything that happened in the show, but did the show/movie promote segregation or equality?
    and yes Wiki does aknowledge other representations:
    Some southerners claim that they see the flag as merely a symbol of southern culture without any political or racial connotation.[citation needed] An example of this would be the Bocephus Rebel Flag often sold at concerts performed by country music star Hank Williams, Jr or Kevin Fowler, heavy metal band Pantera, and southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd. For some, the flag represents only a past era of southern sovereignty.[24] Some historical societies such as the Sons of Confederate Veterans and the United Daughters of the Confederacy also use the flag as part of their symbols. Some rockabilly fans hold the Confederate flag as their emblem as well.[25] The flag is a regular cultural meme, often appearing in association with a character intended to represent a stereotypical Southerner.

again, if a student is not allowed to wear a confederate flag shirt to school, then the bus driver should not be allowed to display the flag. If a student IS allowed to wear said shirt, then the guy should get his job back.

- Christopher McCandless
    the movie hit the big screen just a few years back
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    the movie hit the big screen just a few years back

i know...jessica simpson=daisy duke...before she filled out the 'mom jeans' a little too well.

- Christopher McCandless
  • mrveddersonmrvedderson Posts: 784
    it's a pretty flag, ya know if ya take the Redneck off it and disregard history. Very (ecstatically) pleasing.

aesthetically
  • cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    81 wrote:

Right?? Jesus.

+1
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years

aesthetically

Thank You, Yes, that was gona bother me.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I don't understand why he was fired for flyign the flag on his own property.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    at most, they should just not allow him to park on the school property...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    at most, they should just not allow him to park on the school property...

Even still, it's just a flag and he has the right to put it on his truck no matter his intentions. It's not against the law to be a bigot, or a racist (not saying he is), it's just ignorant.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Is it me or do some people take things way to god damn seriously?

Like others have said, I can understand his firing if he put that on the school bus, totally. But the man is free to put whatever he wants on his car if he's willing to take the fire he'll receive for it, but losing your job isn't in the cards.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:

Absolutly, like when i started a Happy Birthday Selena Gomez thread, and people jumped all over me for being a pervert, it's like relax people, shes not actually in danger.
    dcfaithful wrote:

Like others have said, I can understand his firing if he put that on the school bus, totally. But the man is free to put whatever he wants on his car if he's willing to take the fire he'll receive for it, but losing your job isn't in the cards.

i agree, but if it was a pooh tat...i'd shit can him so fast.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

i agree, but if it was a pooh tat...i'd shit can him so fast.

I agree, that would just be weird.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    i honestly don't get some people's fascination with the confederate flag... i know those dumb rednecks aren't civil war history buffs... what personal significance does it hold to them? you're representing a "state/country" that existed for less than 5 years over 100 years ago..... why?

it's one thing if you're a self-proclaimed racist... but why does country music still wear that shit like a badge of honor??

but like the OP said... legally i have no problem with it
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    i honestly don't get some people's fascination with the confederate flag... i know those dumb rednecks aren't civil war history buffs... what personal significance does it hold to them? you're representing a "state/country" that existed for less than 5 years over 100 years ago..... why?

it's one thing if you're a self-proclaimed racist... but why does country music still wear that shit like a badge of honor??

but like the OP said... legally i have no problem with it

When I was living in Georgia I gathered that some of it was Southern pride - which is great, I think everyone should have some pride about where they're from.

But this guy lives in Oregon, and by the looks of it is obviously doign it to reiterate his redneck status. :?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    He has the right to put that flag where ever he wants on HIS truck. Now all he has to do is just park that truck somewhere else other than school property and he should be fine. I see the flags all the time down here in Florida, no different than be sporting a PJ sticker.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,995
    First student transportation services is a private contactor school districts use to provide supposed cheaper bussing for getting kids to school. They are NOT a school, nor is their parking lots for employees on any school property. Here in columbus they are under review for some shady shit.

The real question here is .. is this redneck from Oregon actually our very own chadwick?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Oregon??? Really....Did one of my cracker brethren migrate out to the left coast???? :lol::lol::lol:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.