I knew it was just a matter of time

PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
VANCOUVER, Wash. (AP) - March 7, 2011 (WPVI) -- O-M-G! Smiley faces don't count!

Teachers are seeing text slang show up in school work.

Students used to texting on their smart phones are using abbreviations and other shortcuts in their assignments.

Jeni McAnally teaches English at Columbia River High School in Washington state.

She says L-O-L, for laugh out loud, doesn't belong in an essay.

Ben Lyons, a senior at Heritage High, agrees.

He tells The Columbian newspaper students use the text slang because they're lazy.

I don't necessarily think it's only a matter of laziness, I think it's a lack of general communication skills.

Viewing some of the posts on this board, it appears that proper spelling and grammar have gone out the window as well.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i keep smilie faces handy to affix to my documents
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I don't think the kids are being lazy, communicating is always evolving, some people don't want to evolve with it.

Ever read something in old english dialect? i don't know half of the shit they're saying.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I don't think the kids are being lazy, communicating is always evolving, some people don't want to evolve with it.

Ever read something in old english dialect? i don't know half of the shit they're saying.

Please don't tell me you consider LOL, LMAO, BRB etc. as communication evolving.

It concerns me because effective communication is necessary in the work force.

My one nephew is in his second year of law school. His sister was just awarded the Founder's Award at Penn State for academic excellence. Their cousins; however, my 10 year old nephew and 13 year old niece, don't have any sense of the importance of being able to express their thoughts coherently without the use of a phone text keyboard.

That concerns me.
  • loadedgunloadedgun Posts: 1,389
    OMG. WTF.

TTYL.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
    loadedgun wrote:
    OMG. WTF.

TTYL.

LOL
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    my older brother is brutal when he types. always using u and 4 etc. makes it unreadable.

people suck.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

Please don't tell me you consider LOL, LMAO, BRB etc. as communication evolving.
    i'm not happy about it, but why not.

My one nephew is in his second year of law school. His sister was just awarded the Founder's Award at Penn State for academic excellence. Their cousins; however, my 10 year old nephew and 13 year old niece, don't have any sense of the importance of being able to express their thoughts coherently without the use of a phone text keyboard.

That concerns me.

When i get on the train to go home at night, i'm the only one watching music video's, the other 100 or so people in my train car whip out their blackberry's and text the whole way home, working professionals and i'm betting they are all using those same shortcuts.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    VANCOUVER, Wash. (AP) - March 7, 2011 (WPVI) -- O-M-G! Smiley faces don't count!

Teachers are seeing text slang show up in school work.

Students used to texting on their smart phones are using abbreviations and other shortcuts in their assignments.

Jeni McAnally teaches English at Columbia River High School in Washington state.

She says L-O-L, for laugh out loud, doesn't belong in an essay.

Ben Lyons, a senior at Heritage High, agrees.

He tells The Columbian newspaper students use the text slang because they're lazy.

I don't necessarily think it's only a matter of laziness, I think it's a lack of general communication skills.

Viewing some of the posts on this board, it appears that proper spelling and grammar have gone out the window as well.

It's not just high school kids that do this.The youngest person in the team I manage is 30,oldest 52 yet I have to pull nearly all of them up for abbreviation in reports they write.
    These reports end up becoming part of legal decision made about children's care needs,they need to be written well not with @ :) :!: :?: in them.
    It truly pisses me of,it's just sheer laziness and definitely poor communication skills.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    maybe they are, but every message i get from a black berry, the person tried to type out correctly, although they do sometimes end up with some bad spellings/goofy words since it is a black berry.

and when i text, i type everything out.....although i do admit, my capitalization and punctuation and spelling could use some work :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

i'm not happy about it, but why not.

That concerns me.

When i get on the train to go home at night, i'm the only one watching music video's, the other 100 or so people in my train car whip out their blackberry's and text the whole way home, working professionals and i'm betting they are all using those same shortcuts.

but those people are responding to texts, yes? that i have no problem with but if those people are using those shortcuts in business emails/reports/documents then they need to be fired...there is NO excuse for poor grammar unless you never went to school...in that case, how did they get that job?
    Personally my communicating skills and spelling have greatly improved from being on here so much.
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Personally my communicating skills and spelling have greatly improved from being on here so much.

Its true. I've been impressed with your spelling lately. 8-) Well done.

I'm not surprised that text slang is showing up in student work, but I think that is something that always happens. I remember a lot of red ink on my papers due to copious amounts of "like" and "whatever". :lol:
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    My spelling sucks. Sometimes I'm so far off spellcheck can't figure it out. But it's gotten better.
    I'll be back
    Well, that's just it. It's ok using those abbreviations in a text or on a message board, but you need to know when and where to use it and using it in a term paper for school is not appropriate.

As long as you know the difference, I have no problem with it.

I'm just concerned that it's going to affect their ability to communicate in the real world.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    My spelling sucks. Sometimes I'm so far off spellcheck can't figure it out. But it's gotten better.
    A+ on your use of apostrophes!!! ;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Lizard wrote:
    A+ on your use of apostrophes!!! ;)

but there should have been a comma between "off" and "spellcheck" :D

I've yet to see "text slang" at work, but simple grammar mistakes in work emails do piss me off.

There / Their / They're - 3 words w/ 3 different meanings

Your / You're - 2 words w/ 2 different meanings

Cannot - it's one word! (I see "can not" 10 times a day)
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    My cousin is in her third year of undergrad studies & is visiting us for Spring Break. She laughed the other night as she was checking her progress reports online: "My communications prof says my writing is fragmented and random - he can't follow all that's going on in my papers... ." The ... represents a random tangent to which she proceeded.

As someone who's not too old yet (37), and as a person whose livelihood depends on selecting the right talent, the next generation of employees, quite literally, scares the hell out of me. I had a mother attend a career fair with her daughter last fall, and I overheard the mother doing the majority of the talking with a company rep at the table next to mine.

shirley, you can not be serious? both are acceptable, as is can't

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cannot
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I do worry about my kids and all of this txting. Only time will tell how - it all works out.
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    81 wrote:

Touché....and don't call me Shirley! :lol:

I'll file this under "you learn something everyday". I blame it on my teachers, or "can not" became acceptable in the past 19 years.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
    81 wrote:

Touché....and don't call me Shirley! :lol:

I'll file this under "you learn something everyday". I blame it on my teachers, or "can not" became acceptable in the past 19 years.

i'll blame your teaches, because mine taught it as acceptable and that was > 20 years ago
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Black73 wrote:
    My cousin is in her third year of undergrad studies & is visiting us for Spring Break. She laughed the other night as she was checking her progress reports online: "My communications prof says my writing is fragmented and random - he can't follow all that's going on in my papers... ." The ... represents a random tangent to which she proceeded.

As someone who's not too old yet (37), and as a person whose livelihood depends on selecting the right talent, the next generation of employees, quite literally, scares the hell out of me. I had a mother attend a career fair with her daughter last fall, and I overheard the mother doing the majority of the talking with a company rep at the table next to mine.

Assuming it was the daughter going for the job, I'm betting she didn't get any real consideration.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Degradation of our language has been going on for a long time. I hate written abuse of the language but listening to people speak these days really gets me. I realise language evolves but it shouldn't evolve into a vocabulary of gutter rats.