Salt Lake City UT questions

purple_chick79purple_chick79 Posts: 570
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Is anyone here from Salt Lake City or the surrounding areas?

What areas would one avoid when wanting to move?

How is the economy?

We were going to go south....but now I think west might be the place to be.....you can go 12 hours and get to a million different destinations.....living here....12 hours gets me to the midwest....
Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

"do gay midgets come out of the cupboard"
~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    Jersey!!!!
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    dcfaithful and iamalive are the resident expects on SLC. i'm sure one of them will be along shortly. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Is anyone here from Salt Lake City or the surrounding areas?

What areas would one avoid when wanting to move?

How is the economy?

We were going to go south....but now I think west might be the place to be.....you can go 12 hours and get to a million different destinations.....living here....12 hours gets me to the midwest....

scared you away from the south did we?! ;)
    haha, just kiddin
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • No, not scared away from the south LOL. My other half has been trying to get me to UT for years....I've finally have had my fill of MA and am ready for a change. I lived in Tacoma WA for a while but hated it so I'm hoping this works out better.

I think it will be a good opportunity for my son when he gets older. There's nothing here where I live.

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    No, not scared away from the south LOL. My other half has been trying to get me to UT for years....I've finally have had my fill of MA and am ready for a change. I lived in Tacoma WA for a while but hated it so I'm hoping this works out better.

I think it will be a good opportunity for my son when he gets older. There's nothing here where I live.

Hey now, don't judge Washington because you lived in Tacoma! I only go to Tacoma for concerts or the zoo. Otherwise... Tacoma=:sick:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    No, not scared away from the south LOL. My other half has been trying to get me to UT for years....I've finally have had my fill of MA and am ready for a change. I lived in Tacoma WA for a while but hated it so I'm hoping this works out better.

Hey now, don't judge Washington because you lived in Tacoma! I only go to Tacoma for concerts or the zoo. Otherwise... Tacoma=:sick:

Tacoma is like Springfield MA....just terrible with small glimmers of hope lol I'd love Seattle if I could afford it

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Okay...

I'll have to respond more tomorrow morning, but in short I will say this for starters:

Just my opinion, but all the more desirable neighborhoods near the downtown area of SLC are east of I-15. Areas like Millcreek, Trolley Square, Sugarhouse, Holladay, really a whole lot of the east side of the city. However, there are plenty of very nice suburban areas north and south of the heart of the city such as Bountiful, Sandy, South Jordan, Farmington (my hometown), Centerville, Draper. It's all really dependent on what you want to be conveniently close to. There is plenty to do here; movies, concerts, arts, sports festivals, Sundance, a lot of outdoor recreation such as hiking, skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, rock climbing, etc.

You wanted to know about areas to avoid? Again, just my opinion, but I would caution you of Rose Park, Glendale, West Valley, Kearns, and Taylorsville. My general rule of thumb in SLC is the further east the better.

There really is a ton going on in SLC if you know the right ways to find it. It's a really fun city with some great things in the community and Utah is one of the most diverse states that I know of. TONS of things to do here that involve getting outside and seeing cool shit.

The wikipedia page for SLC is filled with pretty good info about the city: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_City#Economy
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Thanks for the info....I'll be sure to keep it all in mind.

It's gonna be a PIA to try and find a place to live from 2,000 miles away lol

~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Thanks for the info....I'll be sure to keep it all in mind.

It's gonna be a PIA to try and find a place to live from 2,000 miles away lol
    If you guys can afford it, why not come visit SLC before you settle on moving here. Make sure it's for you, and do some scouting a to neighborhoods and areas you'd like to live.

Do you have kids?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2