Portlandia

2»

Comments

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    imalive wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

I also don't have janitor keys because, well... I'm not a fucking janitor.

I don't get trust fund checks either. So if I ever look broke or out of money, it is genuine.
    hipsters probably don't have DIO stickers on their cars, either.

That's how I stand out from the pretentious, wayfarer wearing crowd. :twisted:

...and I don't have wayfarers. :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    norm wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    I guess my bell bottomed, long haired, paisley shirt look of the 70s wasn't exactly original, either....

laughing my ass off because i can totally see this :lol:

Next time I'm at Rob's house, I'm going to ask him to pull out the box of old photos.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,934
    dcfaithful wrote:
    norm wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    I guess my bell bottomed, long haired, paisley shirt look of the 70s wasn't exactly original, either....

laughing my ass off because i can totally see this :lol:

Next time I'm at Rob's house, I'm going to ask him to pull out the box of old photos.
    I drew the line at platform shoes, tho :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    im both a hipster and a resident of the pacific northwest, so this show is close to home.
    what makes you a hipster? I only hear the term but don't really know what qualifies one as a hipster. :?

This should also help you out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eKnSGn9 ... 05E86FABAD
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    Not going to lie, I might still wear a paisley shirt and it is 2012.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • imalive wrote:
    i think the generally accepted definition of a hipster, is a person in their 20's, who is into fashion, art and music. they shop at american apparel and urban outfitters. and they enjoy bands that are new and hip, but usually said bands havent made it into the cultural consciousness. Washed Out is a perfect example. Washed Out is on Sub Pop, they soundtrack Portlandia, but few if anyone outside the scene would be able to point out their music. Hipsters can be found in Portland, Brooklyn, Williamsburg, Austin Tx.
    I've seen your type in Salt Lake City, too ;)

not to piss you off, but this whole hipster thing seems kind of premeditated and manufactured i.e. not really spontaneous or being true to yourself. I guess any trend is manufactured and I guess my bell bottomed, long haired, paisley shirt look of the 70s wasn't exactly original, either....

its like any musical scene or movement. did everyone who liked and likes grunge music get into it because they actually liked the music, genuinely and truely? yes many people did but some joined on because it was big and a cultural movement. Does everyone who likes hip hop only like it because its a multi billion dollar a year msusic scene? Sure some folks fit that profile, but is it fair to say everyone who likes kanye west or jay-z only likes them because they are popular artists?

i think its ignorant and shallow to label anyone who listens to a certain type of music, or who shops at a store, or likes certain movies, as being only interested in those things for social status or because they feel superior to others etc... You cant know the motivations for everyone. Just like everything else in the world, there are people into things for the right reasons ie because its interesting and cool to them personally, and you have folks who like things because the crowd, the herd, the sheeple like them.

plus im not sure liking bands no one has heard of is the ticket to "cool" in many peoples eyes. You could do alot more productive things, if your goal was to be popular and hip and trendy, than be a fan of Washed Out, or Oneohtrix point never, or Flying Lotus.
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    imalive wrote:

not to piss you off, but this whole hipster thing seems kind of premeditated and manufactured i.e. not really spontaneous or being true to yourself. I guess any trend is manufactured and I guess my bell bottomed, long haired, paisley shirt look of the 70s wasn't exactly original, either....

It's definitely premeditated, as are a lot of subcultures.

somewhat agree. Theres those people who are genuinely into the subculture that like the music, art, fashion because its appealing to them personally, and there are those out to cash in, jump on the bandwagon, "be cool", follow trends, etc...

Name any musical movement, hip hop, grunge, punk, brit pop, hippie music, folk music, house, dubstep, and you will find the same dischotomy. its not unique at all. People like the music because its pleasing to them, and then you have people who like the music because its cool to like it, or because they want to fit in.
    if your goal was to be popular and hip and trendy, than be a fan of Washed Out, or Oneohtrix point never, or Flying Lotus.

or Arcade Fire and The Black Keys. I say that only because those two bands have really blown up recently and seem to be a real hit with the whole "hipster" crowd.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    dcfaithful wrote:
    imalive wrote:

It's definitely premeditated, as are a lot of subcultures.

somewhat agree. Theres those people who are genuinely into the subculture that like the music, art, fashion because its appealing to them personally, and there are those out to cash in, jump on the bandwagon, "be cool", follow trends, etc...

Name any musical movement, hip hop, grunge, punk, brit pop, hippie music, folk music, house, dubstep, and you will find the same dischotomy. its not unique at all. People like the music because its pleasing to them, and then you have people who like the music because its cool to like it, or because they want to fit in.

Right. There will always ben genuine people, and there will always be bandwagoners. It's just how it goes.

There are bands that are associated with the "hipster" movement that I have heard a lot about, listened to and honestly enjoyed, ppreciated and continue to like. Then there are some that I have given an honest chance and they are not my cup of tea. I would never go around toting a band name as a favorite of mine just because they are the flavor of the week, month, year when I truly have no heartfelt feelings for them. That is being dishonest to yourself.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,934
    dcfaithful wrote:

"my life is beyond your comprehension" :lol:

I'm not going to bash musicismylife. he/she seems like a good cat/chick.

I am glad I now know what to call these folks I've been seeing around....in their flannel shirts, their wayfarers and skinny jeans ;)

this forum can be quite educational.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

"my life is beyond your comprehension" :lol:

I'm not going to bash musicismylife. he/she seems like a good cat/chick.

I am glad I now know what to call these folks I've been seeing around....in their flannel shirts, their wayfarers and skinny jeans ;)

this forum can be quite educational.

The Sugarhouse area is booming with hipsters, as you can well imagine.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • dcfaithful wrote:
    if your goal was to be popular and hip and trendy, than be a fan of Washed Out, or Oneohtrix point never, or Flying Lotus.

or Arcade Fire and The Black Keys. I say that only because those two bands have really blown up recently and seem to be a real hit with the whole "hipster" crowd.

true, but as i argued, those bands arent exactly new. their popularity may be new, but Arcade Fire have been around since 2004, David Bowie, and David Byrne used to hand out copies of their first album to friends and preach the power of the band, and were a band even before that, and the Black Keys are on what, album number 6 now? You are definitely correct in identifying them as being hipster bands, but i dont think liking them, hipsters liking them at least, is anything new. if anything the new aspect of it, is these 2 bands have gotten increasingly more accepted by mainstream society. its the mainstreaming of indie. these bands have been around awhile, the odd thing is the culture thats now rising up and meeting these bands in their element.
    dcfaithful wrote:

true, but as i argued, those bands arent exactly new. their popularity may be new, but Arcade Fire have been around since 2004, David Bowie, and David Byrne used to hand out copies of their first album to friends and preach the power of the band, and were a band even before that, and the Black Keys are on what, album number 6 now? You are definitely correct in identifying them as being hipster bands, but i dont think liking them, hipsters liking them at least, is anything new. if anything the new aspect of it, is these 2 bands have gotten increasingly more accepted by mainstream society. its the mainstreaming of indie. these bands have been around awhile, the odd thing is the culture thats now rising up and meeting these bands in their element.

I think you really hit the nail on the head with the whole "indie becoming mainstream." Indie, for the most part, is definitely not an underground thing anymore.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • There are bands that are associated with the "hipster" movement that I have heard a lot about, listened to and honestly enjoyed, ppreciated and continue to like. Then there are some that I have given an honest chance and they are not my cup of tea. I would never go around toting a band name as a favorite of mine just because they are the flavor of the week, month, year when I truly have no heartfelt feelings for them. That is being dishonest to yourself.[/quote]

i hear you. i dont think anyone in the hipster movement likes all of the bands labeled as such. just look at Lana Del Rey and how people reacted when she was on SNL this past weekend! the flavor of the month/week issue is one i think is another misused slur on hipsters. The ridiculous amount of music that comes out each year and how we have access to every single album now, is the cause of that, not people trying to cash in on a trend. Take the Bible of indie, pitchfork. Just take one month. November of last year. They recommended people listen to Atlas Sound on the 7th, Asap rocky on the 10th, Oneohtrixpointnever on the 11th, Drake on the 14th, kate bush on the 21st, and sepalcure on the 22nd. thats 6 albums in one month. and its like that every month on their site and all the other hipster and non hipster music sites as well. The nature of music in 2012 is the enormous amount of music thats pumped out each year. Staggering amounts. And if you are a music fanatic like myself, i want to listen to it all, or try to. Because each band could be THAT BAND for me, the one that i love, that changes my life, that soundtracks my life. Can someone really absorb or genuinely like music or dislike it, if its pumped out and recommended at such a rapid clip? Could fans of pitchfork really absorb that Drake record in a week before moving onto Kate Bush?

i think its the nature of the beast. people no longer live with an album and get absorbed in it, you cant. if you do, you miss out on the 6 other albums released that month. its a neverending cycle. its sad because id rather get to know an album and listen to it for awhile. but i think people nowadays, listen to an album for a few weeks and then move onto something else, and the cycle begins anew.

all these album recommendations from pitchfork or any other site, the issue for me and i think alot of folks is, sure, maybe all the albums wont be great, but theres always a possibility their is a Nevermind, or Ten or Blonde on Blonde, or Rubber Soul, in the recommended albums. Thats why i listen to so much music. Searching for the new sound. The future. its crazy to think that bands we love were once small, tiny bands that could maybe attract 20 people at most at some seedy bar, but i think its exciting to think and wonder about the new bands, the albums released this week and think about if any of them are going to be the next big thing. And i think to get in on the ground floor is also pretty exciting. To be a fan of a band when they arent too popular and then be a fan of the band when they are the biggest thing in the world and can sell out stadiums, its an odd but exhilirating feeling
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,534
    i think the generally accepted definition of a hipster, is a person in their 20's, who is into fashion, art and music. they shop at american apparel and urban outfitters. and they enjoy bands that are new and hip, but usually said bands havent made it into the cultural consciousness. Washed Out is a perfect example. Washed Out is on Sub Pop, they soundtrack Portlandia, but few if anyone outside the scene would be able to point out their music. Hipsters can be found in Portland, Brooklyn, Williamsburg, Austin Tx. They read sites like Pitchfork, Stereogum, Brooklyn Vegan. They are fans of Palaniuk, Dave Eggers. They love Wes Anderson and Spike Jonze.

and its a movement and musical scene, but its one of the few i can think of, that has no agenda or political idealogy attached. hipsters arent out to elect a new president, or to change the system. its almost apolitical. \

the most common insult or sterotype is that they like bands before the mass population knows who they are. And when that band becomes popular, they quit liking that band, because now its considered cool. Ive found this pretty inaccurate. As indie has become increasingly popular, the term means less and less. The figureheads of the scene, bands like The Shins, Modest Mouse, Death Cab, Bright Eyes, Interpol, The Decemberists, Spoon etc.. are all wildly popular. Parents and kids alike are fans of these bands. So the idea that hipsters are jumping ship is pretty inaccurate, all you have to do is attend a show and see this isnt the case.

On of the most interesting and bizaare aspects musically of the last decade was the mainstreaming of indie and hipster music. These bands were started as independent and non mainstream musical moments, and somewhere along the lines, the music spread to teens, to parents, to mainstream and pop music fans, to mainstream rock fans and on and on. Someone like Bon Iver, who now is friends with Kanye. Or Arcade Fire, there isnt an unlikelier band to win a Grammy. Or Death Cab being mentioned on what was at the time the most popular show on television. Or indie bands being used on shows like Greys Anatomy or Scrubs or House.

yup....this show is pretty hilarious and, apparently, spot on.

just started watching this weekend. hilarious.
    www.myspace.com