False Accident Report

Release MeRelease Me Posts: 337
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So I get this accident report form in the mail from someone else's insurance company saying that someone is saying they got into an accident with me, but it wasn't me! So I called my insurance company and they are investigating it for me. My claims person calls me back this morning and says the other person is saying they were rear-ended by a black jeep (oh I have one of those) and now they want to take pictures of my truck. I hope this doesn't turn into some nightmare case of mistaken identity and the person that was in the accident has like a similar name or something. Anyone have this happen? I can prove their was no damage to my jeep but this is just ridiculous... :cry:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    wow, that's a bit nuts.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    I once had parking tickets sent to me but they were for another guy with the exact name as me. Took them a while to figure it out. I don't know how the accident report would be sent to you though unless they wrote down a licence plate number or something. Maybe they wrote down the wrong licence plate, led them to you, and you also have a black jeep. I dunno...strange....
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,436
    i am assuming you have the date, time and location of the so-called accident, if so, you probably could prove you weren't there. and if no police report was filed that person will have a hard time collecting. just give your insurance company the information you have and they should do most of the leg work on this.
  • Release MeRelease Me Posts: 337
    pjhawks wrote:
    i am assuming you have the date, time and location of the so-called accident, if so, you probably could prove you weren't there. and if no police report was filed that person will have a hard time collecting. just give your insurance company the information you have and they should do most of the leg work on this.

that's the funny part, I don't have any of that info. My ins. co. said they got out and exchanged info, doesn't sound like they called the cops though (don't these people watch Judge Judy??). My company is in CYA mode now though once they heard the color and make. I googled around and there is someone that lives in the same town as the accuser whose last name is one letter off my mine...it's gotta be him..
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,436
    Release Me wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

that's the funny part, I don't have any of that info. My ins. co. said they got out and exchanged info, doesn't sound like they called the cops though (don't these people watch Judge Judy??). My company is in CYA mode now though once they heard the color and make. I googled around and there is someone that lives in the same town as the accuser whose last name is one letter off my mine...it's gotta be him..

i would call your insurance guy and ask him for that information right away. hound him a bit if you have to. you can probably easily dispute the information. sounds like your insurance company might figure it's easier just to give them the money than fight it. it sucks but sounds like someone is just trying to screw your insurance company out of money but sadly those insurance companies will often just give in instead of fighting it.
  • Release MeRelease Me Posts: 337
    well my company knows I am disputing it, and I would hope that once they see there is no damage they will dispute it as well. gotta be like an incorrect plate written down or something...