U2 Fans Start Online Petition For Shitty Fan Club

Dead Man WalkingDead Man Walking Posts: 2,762
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Everyone here should stop their bitching...or start a petition :)
Official U2 Fan Club Slammed By Members

3/3/2011

Members of U2's official fan club have created an online petition to voice their anger over paying a $50 annual membership fee for what they call "a product that is embarrassingly sub par." According to Spinner, 1001 fans had signed the petition as of Wednesday (March 2nd), far short of the stated goal of 50,000. In a letter signed "The Fans" and titled "The Fanclub Is a Cannibal --U2.com, Fans Need More," six main issues were addressed, including customer service problems, orders being canceled or delayed and "uninformative" responses to inquiries about those orders.

The letter also stated that fan club members often receive news hours or even several weeks after unofficial fan sites.

Regarding exclusive album releases offered through the club, such as the recent U2: Duals collection of collaborations with other artists, the letter states that the "quality of these releases has taken a nosedive," adding that nine of the tracks are directly available on iTunes.

The letter says, "This has pushed us to the breaking point. To put songs from studio albums on a fan club release is quite frankly ridiculous and almost insulting."

The petition also targets ticket pre-sales for U2 concerts, saying that club members used to get them and no longer do thanks to sports venues and credit cards offering them instead.

The letter holds up R.E.M. and Pearl Jam as two bands who offer much better value for money to their club members, and adds, "We know how much Bono, The Edge, Adam, and Larry care about their fans . . . we'd just like to get some value from that money, so that we can say that we continue to have a special and intimate relationship with U2."

U2 has not yet issued any statement about the matter. The band will kick off a new North American tour on May 21st in Denver.

Bono and The Edge also continue to work on the problem-plagued Broadway musical Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark, which may have its opening delayed for a sixth time from March 15th to sometime in May.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    if they don't like it and they don't get anything for the money, then don't pay the $50

and we all know PJ.com is the best url on the net and we get great customer service. :lol:

case closed
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I just kind of wanted to point out that everyone is going to complain, not just Pearl Jam fans, about their fan clubs...

Everyone's a hater.
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    I just kind of wanted to point out that everyone is going to complain, not just Pearl Jam fans, about their fan clubs...

Everyone's a hater.

If you're supposed to get exclusive stuff and presales- and you don't then you've got to complain. And if the fan club doesn't respond and ignores you're claim- then complain and petition. Then when your membership is up, don't renew.

I don't think its about being a hater, but getting what you pay for.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    U2 fans need "why now u dont bitching??" badges
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • JuneTJuneT Posts: 12
    I haven't had any problems with this fan club yet but have plenty with U2.com. Signing the petition got us a tepid response from the fan club admin but I hope real change is coming. So in that sense the petition is successful......but this fan club is still much better than U2.com with regard to merchandise, cost, customer service,etc.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,260
    Yeah but they do a tour with more than 15 dates on it :P
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    true, :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,706
    JuneT wrote:
    I haven't had any problems with this fan club yet but have plenty with U2.com. Signing the petition got us a tepid response from the fan club admin but I hope real change is coming. So in that sense the petition is successful......but this fan club is still much better than U2.com with regard to merchandise, cost, customer service,etc.
    When U2 used Propaganda as their fan club subscription service, it went quite well, tickets were easy to get (similar to the olden PJ days where it was a mail order service) and quality of seats was top notch...since they farmed it out to Fanfire/LiveNation, its become like so many other fan clubs which are not run directly by folks asociated with the band, impersonal with poor service and no apparent concern for the customer.
    Its the one thing Ten Club has going for it, though they are far from perfect, they are independently run by fans/friends of the band who care about the band, its music and its fans.
    Lets hope Ten Club never gets farmed out to a giant corporation.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Poncier wrote:
    ...Lets hope Ten Club never gets farmed out to a giant corporation.

I doubt they'll ever let that happen.
  • Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    U2 fans need "why now u dont bitching??" badges

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    :lol: ... oh wait ... :(
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Jason P wrote:
    :lol: ... oh wait ... :(
    Yeah, that was my reaction too. Laughter, then sorrow.

PJ, I don't bitch hardly at all about what you do but I will say one thing.... PLAY MORE SHOWS PLEASE.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2