How do certain concerts change your life forever?..

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I just read a post, how?
What do you people mean when you say things like this?
Does the experience of that night change your attitude to life, your fashion, tastes? What?
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Well I can certainly say that the Roskilde show changed me forever. Big shows has never been the same after that experience. But the fact that it was Pearl Jam just made it so much harder for me. It was such a tragic night. Me and my friends went to Denmark to see Pearl Jam first and foremost.

Its still sad to think about it today, but I got to see them in Venice, Italy last summer, almost 10years to the day. CLosure. A perfect night! :D

But I still get the chills when Im at gatherings with at lot of people.

Also Soundgarden in Oslo 96 was a highlight. In a positiv way compared to Roskilde. At that time Soundgarden were my favorite band, and I was over the moon with joy! I was so pumped when they hit the stage, it took me half a minute to realize that the openingsong was Spoonman! Its so funny to think about cause I knew all their material by heart and remember screaming to a friend: What song is it? I don't know! But it fuckin rocks!
    hehe
    PJ - Roskilde Festival - June 30th 2000
    PJ - Heineken Jammin' Festival - July 6 2010
    PJ - Oslo, Norway - July 9 2012
    SG - Oslo, Norway - October 17 1996
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Philly Halloween changed mine

this I wrote a couple days after and remains in my heart today
    and for eternity....

I've always felt so very thankful to have Pearl Jam in my life. This is not new.
    Each song like a page of my life- a time- a memory to recall happy or sad.
    Most days one plays in my head on repeat. Long nights in the dark listening alone.

Eddies voice like the sound of heaven itself to me.

But Sat evening brought new gratitude, actually it brought a most wonderful revelation
    come Sunday morning with a flood of tears.

As I stood there, these men in front of me. Really seeing them.
    These men I almost felt I knew but not.
    I could actually see into their eyes- I had this profound feeling of God's plan.
    His plan that brought them together 19 years ago.
    Brought together by God given gifts and talent to share, create and bond in friendship.
    And I found I was apart of this plan.

This was the revelation. The why was answered for me- Pearl Jam is as thankful for me, for us, as we of them. They need and love us too. This I did not know until I looked into their eyes.
    This is Gods plan.

I have heard some say once they meet the band that they can die happy now. Not me- I want to live all the more. And I will thank God daily for Pearl Jam because what they create speaks to my soul and completes my time here in this life.
  • illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    i like this thread..

my first concert was by a corny 90s band, they covered U2 and from there, that door opened

then pearl jam happened. their shows are like going to church, some unmentionable experience.. awhile back someone posted a great thread and what it was like to experience seeing pearl jam live, wish i could find it :)
    wah
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    This is a tough one to put into words.
    Pandora did a good job on her accounts.

I guess the baet way for me to say it is that I had embraced 10, Vs, Vitalogy, and No Code like they were soundtracks for my life for 4-5 years.. Then I went to my first PJ show on the No Code Tour.

I was used to hearing the beautiful, most perfect music ever through speakers and headphones. It was always perfect. But then hearing it in concert... so BIG, and with subtle differences and even some mistakes, made it feel like it was there just for me.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    It's tough to put into words but I've been going to shows since I was 11 and I can certainly say that certain moments (sometimes big, sometimes small) have not necessarily changed my life but certainly stayed with me ever since they happened and are some of the most vivid memories and cherished experiences I've ever had. This is especially the case with PJ shows as over the years I have met many people who have become long term friends and companions that without this band and the experiences I've had at their shows I never would have met otherwise. Going to PJ shows for me now are like cathartic family reunions. I get a chance to see people I haven't seen in a long time from all over the country and sometimes the world and we all get the release of totally letting go while the best band in the world gives you a totally unique experience every time out.
    Also in some ways certain things at shows can and do "change your attitude on life" in some ways. For instance, the 1st PJ show I ever attended was way back on the Vs. tour. During "Porch" Ed dived into the crowd right next to me, so close I could hear him shouting "lift me up!" when many of the idiots in the crowd (who obviously didn't get it) chose to tear at his clothes and pull him down rather than allow him the joy of bonding with his audience by lifting him over their heads. When he got back onstage he had to change clothes because they had ripped his shirt to shreds and the waist line of his pants was totally destroyed. He looked like he had been mauled by a tiger.
    I was still fairly young at the time but I remember thinking at that moment how sad it was that some people treat musicians/actors/celebrities like objects or items for their consumption rather than actual people. That experience has been a constant reminder for 18 years to always be respectful when encountering people that I may look up to or in some ways idolize because of their art and to remember that they are people not commodities for us to voraciously consume. So I guess in a way, that concert experience "changed my attitude on life" or at least shaped it in some way. Just my 2 cents.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,262
    Philly 05 made me realize that the best of life is a celebration.

Boston 06 #1 made me realize that the best of life is a celebration celebrated with good friends.

Those shows were some of the best moments of my life - such energy, such joy, excitement, enthusiasm. They were awesome. :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    The experience of hearing those songs live, those songs that mean so much to you and you have a connection to and have been there for you, is just incredible. I don't really know how to describe it.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    No concert has ever changed my life but certainly has my listening habits. There have been a few support acts that were awesome.