Options

Ament performance question

tenforthewintenforthewin Posts: 177
edited May 2008 in The Porch
I'm not hating on Jeff or the band at all. I just wondered if anyone has seen this and if anyone knows what happened here or can explain this. It kinda looks like Jeffs not playing, but the notes are still sounding.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dmfexHGgv6U I really hope he's not faking a performance.
Bonnaroo '08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Honestly...I didn't hear the fill...and i saw him hammering on some notes there while he was fixing the cable so...I wouldn't hold any merit to that video.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    The "fill" being referred to is just the high notes he plays at the end of every phrase (4 measures):

"Yeahhehe, yeahehe, yeaheheeeee *bass fill, high notes* yeaaahe-he"

It looks as though he was tapping on the G string while fixing the strap.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    well i don't know about this video, but anyone who says "he wasn't really playing bass, he was lip syncing while someone else offstage played" is surely not a musician and doesn't know the first thing about music....its not like jeffs basslines are so difficult that he can't perform them live and needs a stand in

i've heard people say this about other rockstars and anyone who brings it up is basically screaming "I'M AN IDIOT!!!!!"

NO ONE "LIP SYNCS" GUITAR OR BASS!!!!!!!!!!

no offense to you, i mean that in regards to the "conspiracy theorists" who made that video like its the freakin JFK assassination tape or something...
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    NO ONE "LIP SYNCS" GUITAR OR BASS!!!!!!!!!!

I think you're right about Jeff, Mike, and Stone but there are definitely lip-synchers out there.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    MattyJoe wrote:
    I think you're right about Jeff, Mike, and Stone but there are definitely lip-synchers out there.
    who?????

i heard someone says this about a cover band at a bar..."the bass player wasn't really playing, he must have had a track playing on cd of the basslines to all the songs"....that is so ridiculous
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    SavedFuckerSavedFucker Posts: 215
    his left hand is pressing notes on the neck
    i'll trade you my tee shirt for a grilled cheese
  • Options
    FrankieJFrankieJ Posts: 602
    I didn't hear the fill, so i don't know.

But, I think the video/audio could be not scychronized perfect.

So it might look like hes not playing the fill, but in reality he played it and the audio is off.

Just a thought...
    GO GIANTS
    GO DEVILS
    7/14/03-PNC NJ ~ 6/1/06-CAA1 NJ ~ 6/3/06-CAA2 NJ ~ 8/5/07-Lolla IL ~ 6/24/08-MSG1 ~ 6/25/08-MSG2 ~ 8/7/08-NJPAC (eV Solo)

"I'm feeling kinda righteous right now...with my Bad@$$-M0therf*ck!n'-Ukulele!"
    -eV 8/7
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    who?????

i heard someone says this about a cover band at a bar..."the bass player wasn't really playing, he must have had a track playing on cd of the basslines to all the songs"....that is so ridiculous

actually, there was a band here in my hometown, that we all found out that had a generic Bass track playing behind their bass player on all songs live , cause he was so fucked up most of the time he could not stay in time , or even play the right song. so it happens. we ( other bands playing out at the time ) all knew this was the case but never said anything.

they would just turn down his "live" bass when he fucked up and turned up his " backing track bass" . then would adjust as needed.

but.........there is not a chance in hell that jeff is not playing at the shows. IMO.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    the fact that someone took the time to make a video to point out that Jeff may not have been playing his instrument (he was) during a really old performance is sad and humorous at the same time.
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    FrankieG wrote:
    But, I think the video/audio could be not scychronized perfect.

So it might look like hes not playing the fill, but in reality he played it and the audio is off.

Just a thought...

Thats what I was thinking... also, you can see his left hand on the note also.

Okay just watched it a few times. Looks like he doesn't hit the notes at all on the run, however, it could just be a snych issue. Don't know but I have to say I really don't care at this point.
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    actually, there was a band here in my hometown, that we all found out that had a generic Bass track playing behind their bass player on all songs live , cause he was so fucked up most of the time he could not stay in time , or even play the right song. so it happens. we ( other bands playing out at the time ) all knew this was the case but never said anything.

they would just turn down his "live" bass when he fucked up and turned up his " backing track bass" . then would adjust as needed.

but.........there is not a chance in hell that jeff is not playing at the shows. IMO.
    that's crazy!!! that guy must have had some big connections!!!

i guess every song had to start with the bass track, and the others had to jump in with it...i can't even imagine how this would work

from what i've seen, being able to PLAY AN INSTRUMENT is usually requirement #1 for getting into or staying in a band!!!
  • Options
    MrsOakleyMrsOakley Posts: 181
    I don't think Jeff Ament could fake anything, the guy is so for real, he's a treasure. And even if he could, the last thing would be the MUSIC, for crying out loud! How can anyone know anything about this guy and even think such a thing?? Again, not a rap on you, but geez, a little perspective and common sense, even if they are decidedly out of fashion.

I read something once about how humans are the only species who attack the best among them, all the other animals attack the worst. Wolverines have it better than we do...
    "Over the dirt, we soar,
    on a search for anything pure."
    Say Goodbye
    jeff aTONEment
    "See, he's got me kinda riled already...jerk..."
    Stoney, about Eddie, with love! (And to his face!)
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    i thinks its bs but anyway i thought this was a fair point to raise:

its very easy to counteract that video with the Why Go performance from Pinkpop 1992. (importantly similar era). Jeffs running around a lot and the cable pulls out of his bass about a minute in, and the bass clearly disappears, then he plugs back in.

Or is this my counter-conspiracy-theory???? MWAHAHAHA
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 715
    You Cant Even Really Hear The Bass
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    why would he fix a cable if he was faking?

cause their is no spoon!

how dare the doubt jeff's fatty bass lines
    San Diego, July 07, 2006
    Los Angeles, July 10, 2006
    Bridge School Benefit, October 21, 2006
    Bridge School Benefit, October 22, 2006
    Lollapalooza, August 5th, 2007
    eV., Los Angeles April 12, 2008
    eV., San Diego April 15, 2008
    Given to Fly___..
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,752
    I definitely agree that the video seems a hair out of sych with the audio and that Jeff could've hit the notes he hit AND adjusted the cable at the same time.

Case closed.

Abruzzi, on the other hand, was TOTALLY faking it.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    You Cant Even Really Hear The Bass

I can hear it fine.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    kramer - "i'ved faked it."

jerry - "YOU'VE faked it?"

kramer - "yeah...when it's enough already, and i just wanna get some sleep."
  • Options
    VacateVacate Posts: 57
    interesting observation, but this video is so old maybe someone overdubbed that fill or like someone said the video is out of sync. either way, those snl performances are truly priceless.
    If you want to look at questionable performances, watch The Last Waltz, that whole damn concert(minus the drums) was overdubbed, especially the bass lines. at one point you hear a walking bassline all over the neck and rick danko isnt moving his hand and barely picking...still one of the best concerts ever though.
    www.myspace.com/vacate3