Lyme Disease

Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So after two weeks of insufferable headaches and 4 days in the hospital, my 8 year old is being diagnosed with lyme meningitis... basically lyme disease that has been dormant in his system and worked it's way into spinal column (this after doing a spinal tap on the poor kid)

So now they are talking 3 weeks of anti-biotics in the hospital followed by a year of anti-biotics orally.

Anyone suffer from this... Did the symptoms eventually subside after the drugs took effect... if you had the headache version was there a drug that worked... he is still in immense pain...

Thanks for reading,

Adam
GoiMTvP.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    No I don't, but please know my thoughts and prayers are with him. Poor kid.
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    That is terrible! So sorry to hear it. A friend of mine had lyme disease and went through a similar treatment. From my understanding the treatment was successful and she is no longer symptomatic. I know the treatment was really tough though. I'll send her an email to get more info. This was just a few years ago.

Sending positive thoughts out to your son. Hope he is hanging in there okay. Poor guy.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    My Uncle had it. It took him a year or so to battle the symptoms but he is now fine. Some days he would be fine and at other times he said it was like having a bad hangover.

I pray everything goes well with your son!
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Wow that's really rough, I hope he finds the help he needs and it's not too bad of a process from here on out. He must be a trooper. Thoughts and prayers for a speedy road to recovery
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    My wife and her parents had undiagnosed Lyme for years, my wife's lyme was cured with antibotics but it took about a year and half, this was 1997-1999, My In-Law's went to Texas for 3 weeks and sat in a hypobaric chamber(pure oxygen) for 12 hours a day and that killed the spyrokete, it was expermental at the time but it might be an option you can look into.

It's a Bitch of disease man, effects everything. Good Luck!
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    aww man sorry to hear.... all will be well in time
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Sorry to hear that, BD.
    Good thoughts your son's way....
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Hoping the meds get into the system and the pain subsides. I've never had it or know anyone that has.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Your kid's a trooper...sending my well wishes to your family.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • damn. shout out to your little guy. its a bitch of a disease. prevalent here on the East Coast, and a well known term here in Connecticut especially. Im sure your doing a ton of your own research. Thing is, its so different person to person. Sending u good vibes. keep us updated.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    my nephew had it
    his treatments worked and he is fine
    best to you and your little guy
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    So i talked to my wife and she said she had Joint Pain and Severe Head Aches,she started taking Anti-Inflamitories for the joint pain and somehow that helped ease her head aches but not really cure them, they will go away after a while(a few months for her).

Vitamins help as well , because the antibiotics can wear you down too.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    best of luck man.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Oh poor little lad, hope he improves soon and I'm glad they eventually found out what it was.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    So after two weeks of insufferable headaches and 4 days in the hospital, my 8 year old is being diagnosed with lyme meningitis... basically lyme disease that has been dormant in his system and worked it's way into spinal column (this after doing a spinal tap on the poor kid)

So now they are talking 3 weeks of anti-biotics in the hospital followed by a year of anti-biotics orally.

Anyone suffer from this... Did the symptoms eventually subside after the drugs took effect... if you had the headache version was there a drug that worked... he is still in immense pain...

Thanks for reading,

Adam

Best wishes to you, my semite brother-in-arms! I hope your son feels better soon!

My wife is a pediatrician, so let me know if you have any questions!
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Fuck... :thumbdown:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Thanks guys, really appreciate it...

Hopefully you can say hi to him at PJ20 :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Hey BD,

SO sorry to hear of your little man sickness. Please tell him Boo Boo and his whole family is sending him best wishes for a perfect recovery. The road will be a long one for him, but with you and your wife by his side it will make the road just a little less bumpy.

and for you...You keep that chin up and stay positive. We all have your back. I am sure if we could
    we would all be at your front door with well wishes.

My thoughts and prayers are with him and you all.

He's gonna be just fine ! ;)
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Thanks guys, really appreciate it...

Hopefully you can say hi to him at PJ20 :mrgreen:

Very cool how you are always so positive...it will be rewarded!
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    It is so hard to watch as a parent when your child is in pain. Sending big hugs and love to your little dude.

getwellsoon.jpg
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Good friend of mine had it years ago ('91). He had to walk around with an IV in his arm for about 6 months. It eventually subsided but he had a tough time for a while with his knees. Glad the meds are oral now. He'll be fine, just needs some time. See you both at PJ20.
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    I somehow missed this days ago, but I just wanted to add that this kid is a total badass and I have no doubt that he will turn into some sort of miracle case, because, well, he is the Loganator after all. :D
  • cdp1223 wrote:
    I somehow missed this days ago, but I just wanted to add that this kid is a total badass and I have no doubt that he will turn into some sort of miracle case, because, well, he is the Loganator after all. :D

OH SHIT. I DID NOT KNOW THIS.
    In that case, I wish him tiger blood and adonis dna :mrgreen:
    but seriously tho.

http://youtu.be/tUd8Qs_DAZ0
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Here's hoping the little fella is very well soon. And my thoughts to you too, it's not nice when the kids are unwell.
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    So sorry to hear this. Never had it, but I know treatment is much better now- and he's young- so he has a really good chance to getting better faster.

Sending good ((vibes)) and hopes he get better soon.
  • this is awful, so sorry to hear it
    i hope it's as painless as possible

my thoughts and prayers are going out to your son and your family
    hope he gets better soon
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    So sorry to hear about this BD.... I hope he is as comfortable as he can be, and feels better real soon! :(

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad