Options

Pearl Jam's activism/political message

__ Posts: 6,651
edited December 2007 in The Porch
One of the things that makes me love Pearl Jam even more now than when they first came out (although I loved them immensely then as well) is their activism, which means so much more to me as an adult. I like to think they're making a positive impact on the world by using their platform as amazing musicians to to educate the world about various issues. But I know there are people who like them "despite" their political messages.

My question is: Have any of you been inspired, educated, etc. by the messages Pearl Jam has expressed regarding social issues? Has anyone re-thought their perspective on abortion, started recycling, voted differently than they might have, voted at all when they wouldn't have, thought about their impact on the world outside themselves, etc. after hearing Pearl Jam's messages? Or are they just preaching to the choir for liberals and conservatives are just putting up with them because their music is good?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brucebruce Posts: 384
    There are any things i don't agree with them on.... but I have to commend their efforts for trying to make the world a better place. Much respect.
    Writing checks that others pay.....

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I commend them for their efforts. I think it is great that they are involved in causes. They have done a lot of amazing and charitable things.

That being said, they haven't influenced me politically, or socially. I was already a recycler, already pro-choice, wouldn't ever vote for Nader or Obama, have no desire to read Ishmael, etc.. I am moved by their music.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    A lot of my views are the same as the band, some not.
    But hey they have the balls to stand tall and say THIS IS WHAT I THINK
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE