New Orleans

uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
on a whim, i booked a trip to the big easy. i needed a vacation, so i figured since i like good music, good food and a good temperature i might as well hit up new orleans. i'm leaving in a couple days, and am looking for some advice on what to check out. i know it's mardi gras so the french quarter (namely bourbon street), is gonna be rampant with debauchery, but i've still got to check it out. basically i'm looking for advice on good eats, quality drinks and amazing experiences. help a brother out.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• As a life long New Orleanian, Stay uptown around St. Charles Ave. great restraunts, (try reganelli's for a lunch, I recommend the uptowner) Bars, (Lucy's, its close to the federal court house, Cressent City Brew House)
    If you go across to the North Shore, you either go across the Causeway Bridge or take I-10 east to slidell and take I-12 towards Hammond and exit Abita Springs North exit, Go to the Abita Brew Pub and get some of the best micro brewed beers.
    hope this helps
  • Also check out The Mushroom, its off of broadway in uptown off of St. Charles. It used to be the best music store where you could find used music, vinyl stickers and all sorts of stuff. I havent been there in a few years so I don't know if its changed. but check it out
  • We really enjoyed Muriel's at Jackson Square and Bayona, and also the Crescent City Brewpub. Food in NOLA is spectacular!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    JR41513 wrote:
    Also check out The Mushroom, its off of broadway in uptown off of St. Charles. It used to be the best music store where you could find used music, vinyl stickers and all sorts of stuff. I havent been there in a few years so I don't know if its changed. but check it out

I grew up in New Orleans and lived there until I was 23. I live in California now but miss it a lot. I went to Tulane and would go to The Mushroom quite a bit. Nice to hear it's still there. Is The Boot still there?

My first concert ever was Pearl Jam 93 at UNO. Did you see them at the infamous Tad Gormley show?

To keep this post thread related, in regards to places to eat, you can't go wrong. In college my friends and I would go to this place, I believe it was called Dunbar's, around Feret, close to Tulane. Red beans and rice that was out of this world! I've heard it has the best fried chicken on earth, but I never tried it. The iced tea is fantastic and will give you diabetes!

JR is right about uptown. It's my favorite part of the city.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."