Orange Dual Terror through a Fender Deville 212?

OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
edited March 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
I got a question: Can I run a Dual Terror through a Fender 212? I have a small apartment and use my Deville to play at my friend’s house, but want to get a Dual Terror without buying a cab. I replace both 12's in my Deville with G12H 30's and was wondering if I unplugged the speaker cable that connects in the back of the Deville and hook it directly to a Dual Terror, would that work? I'm not a big gear guy, so forgive my ignorance.

Thanks!
BRING BACK THE WHALE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    edited February 2011
    double check the impedance rating of the speaker combination versus the available outputs of the dual terror. i'm not familiar with that amp so i don't know if it has 4/8/16 ohm outputs or what.

looks like the deville has 4 or 2 ohm outputs and it has two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel which gives 4 ohms. what impedance were the speakers you put in there?
    Post edited by exhausted on
  • That will work just fine, provided the impedance load of the speakers in the DeVille match the output capabilities of the Tiny Terror. Just remember to plug the speakers back into the DeVille when you're done, it's bad to run a tube amp without a speaker load.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    The two speakers are 8ohms a piece, and the Dual Terror has 2X 8ohm and 1X 16ohm outputs.

Thanks!
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    looks like you'll have a mismatch. i'll let those better qualified state whether running the 8ohm output into a 4ohm load will hurt anything in the long run because i've never tried it.
  • If the two 8-ohm speakers are wired in parallel (most likely), then it's a total impedance of 4-ohms. If the Tiny Terror is rated for no less than 8 ohms, then running a 4-ohm load will probably damage the output transformer.

If the two 8-ohm speakers are wired in series (not very likely), then the total impedance is 16-ohms, which would be okay.

If in doubt, don't do it, since damage could result.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    Yeah, prob. not a good idea. I like my fender, but want the DT, just don't have the room for a cab.

Thanks!
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • that would be an AMAZING combination.