New Macbook Pro

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
If you haven't looked, check apple.com!!

I am drooling over here in front of my 4 year old macbook. I am totally getting one of them!

QUESTION:
Is the 15" 2.0ghz quad-core "better" than the 13" 2.7ghz dual-core?? For $300 more it makes sense to get the better graphics/video and extra screen size, but processor wise...is it really worth it?
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Yes. Even the cheapest new MBP is just as good as the best of the previous gen. So a 15' new model is much better.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/25/new ... provement/
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • My dumbass just bought a new MacBook Pro a month ago. So I won't be getting the new one anytime soon :(

I have the 13" model and there was wasn't too many changes made in that model other than the i5 and a 70GB bigger HDD, and better webcam. HDD and webcam ain't really a selling point for me but a nicer processor would be good. Oh well, can't keep up on all the new toys that come out. Although I will be upgrading to the iPad2 when it comes out.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    dont feel bad. I have a 1.8 ghz mac mini with an 80 gig hd and 1 gig of ram. If this thing were a PC I would have thrown it out my window a month after I got it. Luckily its still decent after 2 years.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    I'm probably going to go with the 15", been waiting a while for these new MacBooks, but a bit disappointed that they look the same, which I think means that This time next year we will see a physical refresh of them.

But ah well, still nice looking. New i pad 2 coming out today also,
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I still can't justify spending $1800 for specs that would go for under $1000 on a Windows laptop. I know Apple makes nice products and they are hip but it seems like you are giving up a lot of features when matched up against a comparably priced PC.
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    QUESTION:
    Is the 15" 2.0ghz quad-core "better" than the 13" 2.7ghz dual-core?? For $300 more it makes sense to get the better graphics/video and extra screen size, but processor wise...is it really worth it?

Are you doing anything that requires the faster processor and discreet graphics chip?

Is a 15" screen easier/more pleasurable to look at for longer periods than a 13" screen to you, or would 13" screen work just fine?

I think if you answer these two questions you will know how you want to spend your money.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Jason P wrote:
    I know Apple makes nice products and they are hip but it seems like you are giving up a lot of features when matched up against a comparably priced PC.

This may be true. It's hard for me to say without comparing similar physically-speced models. That being said, if you defined "features" as capabilities I think that, on the whole, you would find the MBP can do anything a PC can.*

*With a notable exception being some video games.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
    HeavyHands wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    I know Apple makes nice products and they are hip but it seems like you are giving up a lot of features when matched up against a comparably priced PC.

This may be true. It's hard for me to say without comparing similar physically-speced models. That being said, if you defined "features" as capabilities I think that, on the whole, you would find the MBP can do anything a PC can.*

*With a notable exception being some video games.
    I'll admit, the limited market for games on an Apple is a big factor for me. :D If they were $500 cheaper, I think that would sway me.
    Jason P wrote:
    I still can't justify spending $1800 for specs that would go for under $1000 on a Windows laptop. I know Apple makes nice products and they are hip but it seems like you are giving up a lot of features when matched up against a comparably priced PC.

You could also run windows on the Macbooks, but as you said dude, you can get some nice/more specs on a straight up Windows Laptop for less money.

But like Most straight up windows products, you are bound to have issues not so far down the line, I look at it this way, These day's you can get GPS/Sat Nav, Air con, Panoramic Sunroof and whatever else on a KIA, or pay more money on a BMW with far less standard equipment.

The reality, the BMW is going to run smoother, it's built better and should last longer. The question is, do these things matter? :mrgreen:
    MrAbraham wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

You could also run windows on the Macbooks, but as you said dude, you can get some nice/more specs on a straight up Windows Laptop for less money.

But like Most straight up windows products, you are bound to have issues not so far down the line, I look at it this way, These day's you can get GPS/Sat Nav, Air con, Panoramic Sunroof and whatever else on a KIA, or pay more money on a BMW with far less standard equipment.

The reality, the BMW is going to run smoother, it's built better and should last longer. The question is, do these things matter? :mrgreen:
    As a former BMW owner, just pray it never breaks down. ;)

That is the biggest downfall with the PC market, you never know if it will last. I have considered getting an iMac as the 27" screen is very appealing and the hard drive is big enough to partition and add Windows. But I'm going to wait a month for the 2nd generation "Sandy Bridge" Intel processors to roll out before making a decision on a new computer.
    Jason P wrote:
    MrAbraham wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

As a former BMW owner, just pray it never breaks down. ;)

That is the biggest downfall with the PC market, you never know if it will last. I have considered getting an iMac as the 27" screen is very appealing and the hard drive is big enough to partition and add Windows. But I'm going to wait a month for the 2nd generation "Sandy Bridge" Intel processors to roll out before making a decision on a new computer.

Yeah that makes sense :)
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    hmmmmmm