cat lovers - diffuser question

blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
do diffusers work even if the cat has been fixed?
*~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :wave:

not sure what it even is or does. :lol:

i found a squirt from a water bottle does wonders.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The answer is yes, but as 81 suggested, a strategically placed splash of water will usually do the trick.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • lol!

water gun only worked for so long.
    my cat has anxiety issues.

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    are you talking about feliway? if so, then I have had very good results with it.
    If you are concerned with the 'spraying' aspect, then it may help, but spraying is more of a behavior thing... then you'll need to get him on kitty prozac.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    We used to use Feliway at work, pretty good stuff. We used to use the spray bottle Feliway in their cages before they went into surgery and it seemed to calm them down alot. :D
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
    i need something stronger...our cat is such a pita.

every morning about 6:30 he starts complaining that he is hungry

now at night, he wants a snack so he'll knock over his kitty treats from the shelf.

of course there will be the summer 6pm i want to go outside complaint coming up with spring.

we have the most annoying cat ever.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • i have the plug in: http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-Diff ... B001QFNUNW

81: how about has us up every three hours at night. torture by cat.

• i have the plug in: http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Zone-Diff ... B001QFNUNW

81: how about has us up every three hours at night.

Usually just fixing your cats will keep them from doing weird stuff. I've never had a problem with any of my cats I've had fixed.

When something's wrong with your cat, you gotta put a little fixin' on it :roll:
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • hahaha!
    he is fixed.
    he's just gotten stuck on some really bad behavior somehow.

hahaha!
    he is fixed.
    he's just gotten stuck on some really bad behavior somehow.

i blame the parenting
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    the outside cats are pitas....
    one learned to open the storm door and let go so it bangs shut
    he does this over and over and over and over
    he'll start this at about 4am and then again at 4pm
    every day
    he taught the other cat to do this as well
    they take turns slamming the door

and the inside cat will rip open any crinkly package whether there are cat treats, dog treats, people treats in there...if it's cat treats, he'll eat the entire bag of treats and then barf it all up somewhere behind something for me to find a week later.

cat treats are now in a sealed, air-tight stainless steel container.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    the woman decided that she would share her dinner with him. gave him some chicken or fish or whatever she was eating. did this several times, so now every time we sit down to eat, he comes over and sits on the floor by her looking up for a bite.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • i'm laughing!.........but really crying inside.
    we
    need
    sleep.

• LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Even though desexing does help, it doesn't always completely fix the problem, especially if the cat was desexed later on in life.
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • fixed before i got him. not sure when that was. got him when he was 4.

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    You poor people, I have the best kitty in the world, she's fixed and an indoor cat, and the biggest issue with her is that she loves me TOO much, always wants to be near me when I'm home, wants to be involved in everything I do.

Now that's parenting! :lol:
  • can i send you mine? :lol:

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,828
    You poor people, I have the best kitty in the world, she's fixed and an indoor cat, and the biggest issue with her is that she loves me TOO much, always wants to be near me when I'm home, wants to be involved in everything I do.

Now that's parenting! :lol:

so are mine :D

Not sure what a diffuser is for cats :oops: :?: I heard of a diffuser as in candles (doubt it's the same though :lol: )
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    81 wrote:

now at night, he wants a snack so he'll knock over his kitty treats from the shelf.

of course there will be the summer 6pm i want to go outside complaint coming up with spring.

To be honest, I think you have an average cat! I have 6, and 3 of them are like hungry hungry hippos that yell for food. We just leave a self-feeder with dry food out all the time, so if they're hungry they can get food themselves. They get a little wet cat food a couple times a day and that's what they yell for.

Never used a diffuser though - but this thread has given me the idea of trying it maybe. We have one psycho kitty who gets pretty stressed (you can't blame him, he lived outside for several years as a feral and we took him in when we found him with a broken leg, and one of the others bullies him, but we try to keep them apart). Is a diffuser supposed to act like kitty prozac?
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    If it's a question of anxiety, feliway does seem to work. One of my cats is very nervous/paranoid. I have both the diffuser and the spray. I use the spray in a spot where she sometimes 'releases herself of her anxiety' and it seems to have an effect on her (and my other 4 cats!).

A friend of mine uses a 'calming collar' on her cat (a collar that releases pheromones). Seems to do the job as well.
    JaneNY wrote:
    Is a diffuser supposed to act like kitty prozac?

no, the feliway diffuser is 'momma cat pheremones' so it helps calm them down. One of my cats, I rescued at 3 weeks old and bottle fed him. He never really learned 'to be a cat' and would jump out from behind something and bombard my other cat and they'd fight screaming and ripping fur out of each other. I got the diffuser, and the attack cat calmed down...a lot.

I really like the diffuser...especially if you have multiple cats.

- Christopher McCandless
    JaneNY wrote:
    81 wrote:

To be honest, I think you have an average cat! I have 6, and 3 of them are like hungry hungry hippos that yell for food. We just leave a self-feeder with dry food out all the time, so if they're hungry they can get food themselves. They get a little wet cat food a couple times a day and that's what they yell for.

Never used a diffuser though - but this thread has given me the idea of trying it maybe. We have one psycho kitty who gets pretty stressed (you can't blame him, he lived outside for several years as a feral and we took him in when we found him with a broken leg, and one of the others bullies him, but we try to keep them apart). Is a diffuser supposed to act like kitty prozac?

maybe, but i've never had a cat that was so needy or so damn loud.

but if you would like to cat sit sometime, you are welcome to stay at house when we go out of town.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • the damn diffuser plug in is not working. i got no sleep last night.

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    It's not an overnight thing, blondie. It takes time to start working. Stick with it and in a couple of weeks you will start seeing a lil' change (hopefully!).
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Oh my God, I feel your pain!! My cats have been my babies for years, but lately they've been so bad that I'm afraid I'm going to snap & kill one of them! The main problem is that they won't leave me the fuck alone. They wake me up at all hours of the night to be fed, with the main assault then starting around 5:30 AM. They walk all over me, pull my hair, fight with each other right on top of me, meow & meow to no end, and now destroy things that are more & more valuable/expensive/irreplaceable - all just to piss me off so I'll get up & feed them. If I kick them out of the room & close the door, they destroy the carpet right outside the door. And I NEVER reinforce this behavior by feeding them when they're acting this way, but it's still getting worse. One of them even bit me so hard the other day that I'm going to gave a scar.

So about a week or so ago I got the feliway diffuser & put it in my bedroom. This weekend I hot the collar ones too, because the diffuser didn't seem to be working. But I haven't had to put them on because they're suddenly being better this week. It's miraculous. I think it's probably the diffuser finally starting to work. Either that, or maybe they got the hint Sunday morning when I locked them out of the room and then, when they started tearing up the carpet, put an open carrier right outside the door where they were scratching.
  • gesh your cat problem is worse then mine.

slept last night.

had the diffuser for two weeks.

• kitty has been doing good. knock on wood.

and since he's being such a sweetie lately...
    here he is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_4Li864S4A

• EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    81 wrote:

I think our cats are related! They sound exactly alike. :lol:
  • One of my cats never complains about anything. His only problem is he pins me under the covers at night. The other two are up at first light howling at the locks and scratching at the door facings if I do not respond immediately. Who knows what they want. They have food constantly out and a cat door. Why must I be up too?
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    They have food constantly out and a cat door. Why must I be up too?[/quote]
    :lol: My cat has dry food out all the time, too, and he still loves to wake me up with incessant meowing right in front of my face on the bed. I give him 1/2 can of canned food in the morning and at night so I assume that's what he wants. But I'm always like, seriously?? Can't this wait an hour or two? And he has done this forever: his name is Early as a result. He was 6 weeks old and teeny and clawing his way up the side of my bed to wake me up at 5 and 6 in the morning. Now he's 17. :D Maybe they just want some human company. hahaha.