American Idol - Beatles Night

lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I find this sad that the Beatles music has been opened up to America Idol.

I find this even funnier, apparently 60 hopefuls have never heard a Beatles song.

http://www.misformusic.com/2011/01/amer ... les-songs/

American Idol host Ryan Seacrest has revealed that some of this year’s hopefuls hadn’t heard a Beatles song before they entered the competition.

This season contestants will travel to Las Vegas to perform Beatles tracks on stage however Seacrest revealed: “They went to perform Beatles songs, about 60-something [of them]. A handful of them, I asked, ‘What do you think about the songs?’ and they said, ‘I’ve never heard a Beatles song before in my life!’

“They had to learn the Beatles songs in 24 hours. It makes for some compelling television… and surprising.”
I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• They've done it in previous years. But it's pathetic that people have never heard Beatles' songs.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    How have you never heard a Beatles song in your life? These American Idol hopefuls = :thumbdown:
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Newch91 wrote:
    How have you never heard a Beatles song in your life? These American Idol hopefuls = :thumbdown:

I don't know but I remember being like 6-7 years old and my dad asking me why I didn't like New Kids and saying that I liked the Beatles more, no word of a lie.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
    Newch91 wrote:

I don't know but I remember being like 6-7 years old and my dad asking me why I didn't like New Kids and saying that I liked the Beatles more, no word of a lie.
    :lol: Awesome. I remember when I was in fourth grade, I was the only one that listened to them and people asked me, "How can you listen to The Beatles?"
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    they did it on Australian Idol one year, and yeah, about half had never heard a beatles song. fucking kids today.

now i'm only 30 but i had heard of the beatles in my early teens, and not through my parents taste either. i think if you are into music and want to make music your career, as i assume anyone entering Idol would, surely you go back and listen to some of the most influential bands of the past. right?
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Newch91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

:lol: Awesome. I remember when I was in fourth grade, I was the only one that listened to them and people asked me, "How can you listen to The Beatles?"

And now my dad says that b/c I listen to PJ all day everyday I haven't evolved. :lol: I say I like what I like.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I guess I was surprised that it was done in the past and is being done this year. I thought I had read somewhere that the Beatles were opposed to it. I am not familiar with how you get permission to use someone's music.

Maybe someone is more knowledgeable.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• lukin2006 wrote:
    I guess I was surprised that it was done in the past and is being done this year. I thought I had read somewhere that the Beatles were opposed to it. I am not familiar with how you get permission to use someone's music.

I haven't watched the show since Jordin Sparkes, whoever the hell that is, won. But I seem to remember they doing a Beatles night a long time ago.
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

• lukin2006 wrote:

George and John gave it a thumbs up.
    I'll be back
  • LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    lukin2006 wrote:

George and John gave it a thumbs up.
    :lol::lol::lol: They'd be twisting and shouting in their graves! (drum roll, high hat)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I think it pathetic when people don't know a Duke Ellington song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDQpZT3GhDg

it's all about generations and what your parents played in the home to carry over to you

some of the kids on Idol are 15 maybe their parents listened only to Pearl Jam ;)
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I bet most of those kids have heard Beatles songs but just didn't know the name of the band, if they haven't they've spent their lives with their ears covered.

Mind you if I had £1000 for everybody I've met that has never heard of Pearl Jam I'd be retired. :lol:
  • nuffingman wrote:
    I bet most of those kids have heard Beatles songs but just didn't know the name of the band, if they haven't they've spent their lives with their ears covered.

You're probably right. I showed a few of the people I work with the Lego people video someone made of Last Kiss, they were shocked that it was PJ. Not that they wrote that song but still, the people I showed it to were less than 20 years old.

P.S. if anyone hasn't seen that video they should watch it, it's pretty good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypldM3G7Ad0
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    nuffingman wrote:

I was thinking the same. There is no way anyone who has ever listened to music has never heard a Beatles song. Once they start listening they'll realize they know a bunch of tunes.
    The only time all year i will watch American Idol and this night sure sucked makes me realize why I never watch this show.

it gets better give it another chance maybe :D
    I'll pass, only so much steven tyler i can take and "whats up dawg" :D:D, I'll never understand the attraction to this show.

• tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I was pleasantly surprises by the performances. My fav was Blackbird.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
    My ears just stopped bleeding...the worst was Here Comes The Sun :evil: :evil:.

• tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    lukin2006 wrote:
    My ears just stopped bleeding...the worst was Here Comes The Sun :evil: :evil:.

Yip that was pretty bad.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
    Good thing I didn't watch.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Good thing I didn't watch.
    this may be true but they are just amateurs and the show is only beginning.

They improve immensely over the next 12 weeks..... is it?
    and it's heart warming to see their happiness and dreams come true,
    My favorite part :D
    It's nice instead of all the negativity on TV and well everywhere really
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I'll pass, only so much steven tyler i can take and "whats up dawg" :D:D, I'll never understand the attraction to this show.

I'm with you on this. My Mom's a big watcher and it just seems the show gets cheesier each year, dawg.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • pandora wrote:
    I think it pathetic when people don't know a Duke Ellington song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDQpZT3GhDg

WORD.

And anyone that calls themselves a singer should know the Beatles damnit. They outta be punched in the throat for not knowing!