memphis!

crittablescrittables Posts: 342
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
i'm moving to memphis this summer. i currently live in brooklyn and am so excited about the change of pace memphis has to offer. i've never been so i'm not entirely sure what to expect. if anyone lives there or is familiar with the area, i'd love some advice on places i should check out, bars i should frequent or restaurants i should eat at!

my only experience with memphis is two ten clubbers. i've sat next to the same two guys at 3 pearl jam shows (thank you 10C and seniority seating!!) and if i remember correctly they live in memphis. so maybe i'll find them via this post as well. regardless i'd just love to find out a bit more about my new home. any advice is much appreciated!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    blue suede shoes are a must.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    look for a gentleman by the name of hummerpony. i think he is nearby and operates a still out back in the woods.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • good luck, but moving somehere you have never even visited is risky........Brooklyn to TN is a HUGE change of pace......lots of good eats and music though....
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    TK15685 wrote:
    good luck, but moving somehere you have never even visited is risky........Brooklyn to TN is a HUGE change of pace......lots of good eats and music though....
    he or she is already used to crime, yes/no?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • i can't tell if i'm just drunk or if it'd difficult to post a reply in this joint. whateves. i live in brooklyn and know that moving too memphis is going to be a complete culture shock but i'm not particularly concerned about that and you probs shouldn't be either.
  • Welcome! Not too many Jammers around here. It's exciting to see someone on here that lives in the same city. I don't know anybody on here who lives in Memphis. But I must say Memphis is a shit hole. I can say that, Iv lived here all my life. Other than graceland and beal st nothing much to see. If you have a gun bring it, if you don't then you may want to buy one. The school system is one of the worst. Stay away from orange mound, if your downtown walking around don't go south of beal st, and don't go to far west on beal st. I could go on and on. There are great BBQ places. Corkys is overrated. Showboat BBQ is great. If your home sick and want a new York style pizza then Milanos is the place. So many great places all over the city. Are you moving to Memphis or a subarb of Memphis? If you have any questions let me know.
    I'll be back
  • hi crittables. i'm zach and i'm currently in my third year of dental school in memphis (originally from nashville however). i lived downtown in the south main area (definitely a cool area with lots of cool bars, shops, restaurants) my first year and i've lived in midtown for the past 2 years. i agree with nothingman54 on a a lot of stuff. memphis can be a dangerous city. the problem is there are lots of unsafe areas mixed in among safe areas and it's easy to quickly go from one to another without realizing it. definitely stay away from orange mound. just use common sense and you'll be fine. i don't have a fun and don't feel like i need one either. definitely check out central bbq on central avenue (not too far from the cooper young district, which is another cool area with bars and stuff to do). it's the best bbq in town in my opinion. their bbq nachos are awesome. sun studios and graceland are both really cool to check out as well if you're into music, which you obviously must be. also there's a little dive bar in north memphis called wild bill's that you should definitely check out. they play some great live blues, rock, r&b, etc. anyway, you'll definitely find memphis a change of pace from brooklyn, but it's not as terrible as everybody makes it sound. it's kinda grown on me actually. feel free to pm if you have any questions or if you wanna grab a beer when you get to memphis.