My Mum Friend Requested Me on Facebook

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I've been dreading this day.

What do I do? :?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I got ambushed by all of my aunts, uncles, and cousins at the same time. I made a friends list and labeled it "limited profile." Then I changed my profile settings so the limited profile list only sees my basic info, profile pictures, and wall. No additional pictures, no video. You can even take away their wall privileges if you want.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • MFCarissa wrote:
    I got ambushed by all of my aunts, uncles, and cousins at the same time. I made a friends list and labeled it "limited profile." Then I changed my profile settings so the limited profile list only sees my basic info, profile pictures, and wall. No additional pictures, no video. You can even take away their wall privileges if you want.

Never knew you could do that :thumbup:
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Ignore it. If she ever mentions it, pretend you never received it. "Oh FB glitches all the time with their friend requests....that's happened a few times to me now....bloody Facebook!" And pray she doesn't try again.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    MFCarissa wrote:
    I got ambushed by all of my aunts, uncles, and cousins at the same time. I made a friends list and labeled it "limited profile." Then I changed my profile settings so the limited profile list only sees my basic info, profile pictures, and wall. No additional pictures, no video. You can even take away their wall privileges if you want.

I'm gonna have to work this shit out before I even think of adding her.
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:

I'm gonna have to work this shit out before I even think of adding her.

Yeah, you can test drive it on someone. If you go to the privacy settings, there is an option to view your profile as a specific person sees it. I found that to be really helpful.

I tried ignoring/rejecting my family, but they pretty much bullied me into adding them. Limited profile keeps me out of trouble and keeps them happy.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    what's the problem?
    accept her or don't accept her.

is she a family friend any further than just with your mum?
    is she smokin hot?
    is she a drunken reprobate, a massive derelict?
    is she 103 years of age and sexually attracted to you Byrnzie?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    chadwick wrote:
    what's the problem?

is she smokin hot?
    would love to know the answers to all of these questions
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • No one wants there family members finding that pic of you crouched over a six foot bong.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,731
    I am not on facebook but I don't really see the problem. I am sure if I was, I would be "friends" with my mom. My family are all good friends and I doubt I would be posting too many pictures I didn't want her to see
    chadwick wrote:
    what's the problem?

is she smokin hot?

Nah, but she's nosy, and everytime I post any of my depraved shit on there I'm gonna be feeling her looking over my shoulder.

She loved bombarding me with questions, so if she gets on Facebook she'll have a field day with every photo and comment I post. It's a pain in the ass.

Some things just need to be kept separate.
    Byrnzie wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    what's the problem?

is she smokin hot?

Nah, but she's nosy, and everytime I post any of my depraved shit on there I'm gonna be feeling her looking over my shoulder.

She loved bombarding me with questions, so if she gets on Facebook she'll have a field day with every photo and comment I post. It's a pain in the ass.

understood.
    nosy people drive me bat shit crazy.
    i feel your pain, Sir.

lie to her.
    this just occured to me.
    tell her huge lies when she gets nosy.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    What have you got to hide from your adoring, loving Mum?

You're a bad son. She's the only reason you can even have stuff to hide from her. :lol:
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    I refuse to accept my mom's friend request! That's just too much of an invasion of privacy for me! She wouldn't be interested in seeing pictures of college antics anyways :lol:

But nah, I think it's weird to have my mom as my friend on FB! But she keeps saying she wants to be my friend on there! She has always told me, "I'm not your friend, I'm your mother", and now I have to remind her of that! :lol:
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
    samjam wrote:
    She has always told me, "I'm not your friend, I'm your mother", and now I have to remind her of that! :lol:

Exactamondo.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    samjam wrote:
    She has always told me, "I'm not your friend, I'm your mother", and now I have to remind her of that! :lol:

Very good point ... parents shouldn't try to be their kids friends ... on facebook or anywhere
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Byrnzie wrote:

OMG. You don't even like her! Stand firm on ignoring her request.

You may not be able to avoid her rude questions in real life, but at least you can keep her from invading your online space.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    What have you got to hide from your adoring, loving Mum?

You're a bad son. She's the only reason you can even have stuff to hide from her. :lol:

She has no reason to see any of the stuff that flies back and forth between me and my mates. Also, she doesn't need to see photo's of my drunken beer drinking antics e.t.c - she can access my Flickr account, but I don't post the boozy pics here.
    justam wrote:

You may not be able to avoid her rude questions in real life, but at least you can keep her from invading your online space.

I do like her, but she's just a bit nosy. Her questions aren't rude, just a bit irritating.
    justam wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

and it is a real bastard when someone invades your online space.
    wow, that can suck.

good call, justly.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    Byrnzie wrote:
    justam wrote:

I do like her, but she's just a bit nosy. Her questions aren't rude, just a bit irritating.

Ok :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    justam wrote:

Ok :D

The way I see it is, I don't invite her down the pub when me and my friends go out on the piss, so why would I invite her to the Facebook party? :mrgreen:

Not that I use Facebook too much these days anyway - I got kind of bored with it a long time ago.

And I'm only half-bothered by this. It's just a bit of a nuisance is all.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    You do realize there are security settings that control what certain people can and cannot see. I have everyone in my family in a group called family and they can't see half my shit.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    If you are on Facebook nothing is private that you post, say or do. I wouldn't be worried about your mom's friend. I'm on Facebook and I try not to post stupid shite just for that reason. I have a 15 year old niece who posts stuff that makes you want to cringe. If you're worried about certain people reading your posts you should rethink what you write because a lot more people than your mom's friend see that stuff.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    just say no.... done. easy as... :cool: bloody overthinkers. :roll:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Will she actually use it? Both of my parents added me ages ago...and I think I've interacted with them maybe two-three times each on there....they never use it, and I highly doubt they just creep...but then, it's never really bothered me...I don't allow anything on my fb that I'd be worried about my parents seeing...I have co-workers on there too...asking for trouble to get carried away....
    Drunken pics = ok...
    anything incrimminating on any level = not ok :D
    eddiec wrote:
    If you are on Facebook nothing is private that you post, say or do. I wouldn't be worried about your mom's friend. I'm on Facebook and I try not to post stupid shite just for that reason. I have a 15 year old niece who posts stuff that makes you want to cringe. If you're worried about certain people reading your posts you should rethink what you write because a lot more people than your mom's friend see that stuff.

It's not even just about my shit that she'll read/see, but she'll probably post a bunch of embarrasing photo's of me on there.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Byrnzie wrote:
    eddiec wrote:

It's not even just about my shit that she'll read/see, but she'll probably post a bunch of embarrasing photo's of me on there.
    :lol:
    valid point.
    a friend of mine's mom posted a jr. high pic of him and I got a copy before he untagged himself....He doesn't know I have it. I've been holding onto it for 3 yrs, waiting for the right moment to bust it out /photoshop it, whatever 8-)
  • I signed up for facebook a couple weeks ago and right when I signed up my mom request to be friends. Also my sister wanted to friend me. I pushed ignore. I don't have FB to connect with family, I have their email addresses and phone numbers so I don't need them on my FB.
    I'll be back
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    saveyou22 wrote:
    No one wants there family members finding that pic of you crouched over a six foot bong.
    Those shouldn't be on fb.

Not every picture has to be uploaded. Some basic discretion is a good thing.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,731
    As a college student no, your parents are not your friends and should not be involved in your daily life, as an adult my parents are two of the best friends I have, they are more than welcome to come out drinking any time.