Billy Packer doesn't approve of the NCAA tourney's TV...

Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
makeover. Since when was he in charge?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... aab-322386

Bill Packer doesn't approve of the NCAA tourney's TV makeover

Even two years removed from calling his last college basketball game, former analyst Billy Packer is still as cranky as ever.

College basketball's most famous curmudgeon told USA Today on Tuesday that he doesn't approve of the way CBS and Turner Sports plan to handle NCAA tournament coverage going forward. Here are his three main complaints, the first two of which are somewhat reasonable and the last of which is bordering on ridiculous.

• Packer believes the NCAA's decision to award the rights to air the tournament to CBS and Turner was a money grab that is not in the best interest of the sport. Had the NCAA been looking out for college basketball's best interest, he believes it ought to have gone with ESPN, which has a stable of college basketball announcers familiar with the sport and is better capable of promoting the tournament. "I don't believe I was in a promo for CBS college basketball in 25 years," he said.

• Even before TNT's NBA analysts make their debut during next month's NCAA tournament coverage, Packer fears for the worst. He's not optimistic about Steve Kerr joining Jim Nantz and Clark Kellogg in a three-man Final Four booth or about Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith analyzing games from the studio. Packer likened it to having Verne Lundquist call SEC football all season "and then having somebody who just did the pros come in to call the SEC title game."

• Only Packer could find a reason to complain about every NCAA tournament game airing live in its entirety for the first time this season. He argued viewers will prefer the old format of being automatically switched to whichever game was most exciting. Packer said he didn't see the value in airing every matchup at staggered times on separate channels even though it will enable viewers not to miss games that previously did not air in their market. "What percentage of the total audience does that represent," Packer said. "Has all this been changed for the .01 percent of viewers who really want a specific game?"

As you can probably guess based on his criticism, Packer has zero interest in trying to get CBS to rehire him as an analyst.

"The game has regressed incredibly in the last 10 years, at all levels and the coaches know it," Packer said.

"It's a different world and to do a good job you'd have to buy into it. That's why I couldn't do it anymore."

So in addition to disagreeing with all the changes to the TV coverage, Packer doesn't even like college basketball anymore? Yep, sounds about right.
Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
"Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,436
    Bill Packer is an asshole plain and simple. he might be somehwat right on the tnt portion but how can he argue that me seeing every game is a bad thing?
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    pjhawks wrote:
    Bill Packer is an asshole plain and simple. he might be somehwat right on the tnt portion but how can he argue that me seeing every game is a bad thing?
    I don't know. The problem was everyone not seeing all the games. I can't stand Packer...hated on UConn so much.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • pjhawks wrote:

How about CBS showing that stupid box thing with 4 games in the corners so small you couldn't see any of them? Idiots.

How did it take until 2011 for somebody to show all the games of the tourney? :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    pjhawks wrote:

wonder why you hate packer? :lol: he was brutal on your hawks. i hate him too though. always thought he was a pompous jerk.

and i love this new format....especially getting a sunday night game :clap::clap:
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

wonder why you hate packer? :lol: he was brutal on your hawks. i hate him too though. always thought he was a pompous jerk.

and i love this new format....especially getting a sunday night game :clap::clap:
    He's like brutal on every team except Duke.

Sunday night game? :D:mrgreen:
    Newch91 wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

yeah but he's one of those guys who seems to think mid majors have no business being high seeds. so glad he's not around anymore.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Everybody hated this guy calling games. It only took CBS several decades to figure it out.
    Newch91 wrote:

yeah but he's one of those guys who seems to think mid majors have no business being high seeds. so glad he's not around anymore.
    Same here. The tournament will be so much better.

I think a couple years ago when UConn was the #1 seed, he was mad they were a 1 seed. I'm not sure if he was there a couple years ago when UConn was a 1 seed.
    pjhawks wrote:

i hated him long before that jaegs (he is still only #3 on my hated college hoops list, can you guess the other 2?) . he was as arrogant and pompous as an announcer you will ever find. sad part was he really new his shit, but was such a tool it was hard to get past it.
    Newch91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

Same here. The tournament will be so much better.

I think a couple years ago when UConn was the #1 seed, he was mad they were a 1 seed. I'm not sure if he was there a couple years ago when UConn was a 1 seed.

nance and kellog do a good job together.

selection sunday is phenomenal. i love all the arguments, the joy, the sorrow and everything in between....and it's only a few weeks away now :thumbup:
    www.myspace.com
  • Packer is such a jagoff. This has been a problem for years and the NCAA has finally done the right thing and made all the games available on TV.
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    very familiar with BP in the ACC
    him and Dick(less) Vital
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Why on Earth would Packer think CBS would want him in a promo? He would probably cause more people to not watch the tournament...and besides, the tournament really sells itself and doesn't need a lot of promos.

Viewers would miss the live cut-ins? WTF? If I was watching a game that included a team I pull for, the cut-ins to other games pissed me off royally. They aren't going to keep people in the dark about the other games. They'll either announce a score or keep those update boxes and now you have the option to continue watching or change the channel to the other game. Sounds great. Only a d-bag like Packer would think that choice is a bad thing.

As for the announcers, he may be right, but I don't think its going to be that big of an issue. If you can call a game, that's all that matters (unless it happens to be a person that I just don't like -- like Packer).

Can't say that I've missed him since he quit doing games a couple of years ago.
    Why on Earth would Packer think CBS would want him in a promo? He would probably cause more people to not watch the tournament...and besides, the tournament really sells itself and doesn't need a lot of promos.

Viewers would miss the live cut-ins? WTF? If I was watching a game that included a team I pull for, the cut-ins to other games pissed me off royally. They aren't going to keep people in the dark about the other games. They'll either announce a score or keep those update boxes and now you have the option to continue watching or change the channel to the other game. Sounds great. Only a d-bag like Packer would think that choice is a bad thing.

ago.

the cut-ins are kind of fun though if the game you're watching is a blow out. the frantic pace of that first weekend is part of what makes it so much fun. he kind of has a point there...but still, i'd rather be able to watch a full game if given the choice.
    www.myspace.com
    Why on Earth would Packer think CBS would want him in a promo? He would probably cause more people to not watch the tournament...and besides, the tournament really sells itself and doesn't need a lot of promos.

ago.

the cut-ins are kind of fun though if the game you're watching is a blow out. the frantic pace of that first weekend is part of what makes it so much fun. he kind of has a point there...but still, i'd rather be able to watch a full game if given the choice.

the problem with that theory jaegs is every fn year we see Duke in a 1st round prime time game. so the 8:00 1st round game is usually unwatchable.

and they would cut away from local games at times. even for 2 or 3 minutes it was too much to miss if it was your team.

also because CBS went off the air between 5:00 and 7:30 each night they never had a game on in the East Coast during thursday and friday happy hour. that used to drive me crazy. made no fn sense to not have a game on during happy hour. would go out to watch the afternoon games then have a 2-3 hour wait for the next game. was stupid.
    pjhawks wrote:

ago.

the problem with that theory jaegs is every fn year we see Duke in a 1st round prime time game. so the 8:00 1st round game is usually unwatchable.

and they would cut away from local games at times. even for 2 or 3 minutes it was too much to miss if it was your team.

also because CBS went off the air between 5:00 and 7:30 each night they never had a game on in the East Coast during thursday and friday happy hour. that used to drive me crazy. made no fn sense to not have a game on during happy hour. would go out to watch the afternoon games then have a 2-3 hour wait for the next game. was stupid.

thanks.
    www.myspace.com
    thanks.

i'm always available to help the less fortunate :D

and i'd thought a drunkard like yourself would appreciate my happy hour comment.
    pjhawks wrote:
    thanks.

and i'd thought a drunkard like yourself would appreciate my happy hour comment.

yeah. that part was awesome.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    thanks.

most what i say is but then i guess i don't have to tell you that.
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

most what i say is but then i guess i don't have to tell you that.

you just ooze awesomeness dude. it is uncanny.
    www.myspace.com