Amp suggestions? :)

nothing_man_92nothing_man_92 Posts: 344
edited April 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey guys! i have recently brought a Fender Strat American standard and at the moment i am playing it through a Marshall combo which sounds ok but i'm really looking to upgrade! I'm thinking i want to get an orange cab but im not sure what head i want to use. The type of tone im looking for is anything pearl jam preferably in their later years! Any help will be appreciated :)
Cheers!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Also some pedal suggestions aswell!!
  • What's your budget?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Mike and Stone both have Savage amps, which will most likely save you money over an Orange setup. Stone also has a Marshall head into a Marshall cabinet, I'm just not sure which head. Stone now has one of these also:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-HandWired-AC30HW2X-30W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=H68246

Mike also plays I believe a Fender bassman head into a Marshall Cabinet.

Pedal wise you can go with a Keeley modded TS-9 and Boss Blues Driver for their distortion tone. I can almost guarantee that all of their amps aren't stock either but these suggestions should get you close.

Here is Mike's most recent pedal setup.

http://www.effectsbay.com/2011/02/pearl-jam-mike-mccready-pedal-board/

Here is a picture of their latest stage setup:

http://www.pbs.org/engage/sites/all/files/blog_images/pearljam.jpg
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • I'm guessing Stone's running the Vox for clean and the Marshall for dirt.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I'm guessing Stone's running the Vox for clean and the Marshall for dirt.

He also has a Savage Tube Combo Amp that didn't make it into the picture. There may even be a 4th, I'm not 100% sure. I'm sure someone can get a stone 2010 tour picture with everything behind him.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • thanks heaps for your help man!! ill have to head down to the ol' music shop and have a bit of a look around :)! hopefully i can afford it im looking to spend around $8000 - $10000
  • Jesus, I've never looked at anything close to that price range so I can't help ya...

Though I had unlimited funds, a Fender Twin for cleans then something like a Fuchs for OD.
  • Jesus, I've never looked at anything close to that price range so I can't help ya...

Though I had unlimited funds, a Fender Twin for cleans then something like a Fuchs for OD.

Hopefully that's $800 to $1000, and not 8 to 10 g's.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • thanks heaps for your help man!! ill have to head down to the ol' music shop and have a bit of a look around :)! hopefully i can afford it im looking to spend around $8000 - $10000

Assuming that is not a typo, that sounds like a day of exceptionally great fun at the shop! I'm truly happy for you but still a little envious of you. I guess most amps in that pricerange sound very good from a technical standpoint if that makes sense. In this case it might be more of a matter of personal taste. Just try out as much stuff as you can and take what suits you best.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Jesus, I've never looked at anything close to that price range so I can't help ya...

No way!!! I'd like to see that gear haul.

Maybe I've been hanging around the gear page too long... Seeing guys with that kind of budget isn't uncommon...
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Maybe I've been hanging around the gear page too long... Seeing guys with that kind of budget isn't uncommon...

No kidding....Some people have it all. I love finding the classified where guys like that are unloading stuff, just to buy more all over again.
  • DewieCox wrote:

No kidding....Some people have it all. I love finding the classified where guys like that are unloading stuff, just to buy more all over again.

That would be the description for one of my good friends. But now he is at the point where he is building his own amps. Than sells them to pay for the next one he wants to try. etc...

Of course he does sell and buy effects left and right as soon as he gets bored of them.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• DewieCox wrote:

Maybe it's just me being a poor student, I just don't see why someone would need 10 Les Pauls... I could see two or three, but I'd much rather spend that extra money on other guitars, or keyboards, or fuck, at that price, a (ford) Mustang.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    what context is this thing being played in? home, studio, opening for frickin' U2? need context here. we're in two rock territory. wattage requirements etc. etc.

the law of dimishing returns, much like acoustic guitars, says after a certain point, it's all unicorns and sparkles. (says the guy who collects guitars and builds amps :roll: )

honestly, in this budget range, 99% of us haven't even played these things let alone owned them. get thee to the gear page!!
  • exhausted wrote:
    what context is this thing being played in? home, studio, opening for frickin' U2? need context here. we're in two rock territory. wattage requirements etc. etc.

the law of dimishing returns, much like acoustic guitars, says after a certain point, it's all unicorns and sparkles. (says the guy who collects guitars and builds amps :roll: )

honestly, in this budget range, 99% of us haven't even played these things let alone owned them. get thee to the gear page!!
    Having never played any of that stuff, is it REALLY worth that price?
    toyota echo vs lexus IS..... both cars.... but one is much more so....

perhaps not an entirely accurate parallel but still....

i know i wouldn't be able to hear the differences between a 3K amp and a 7K amp (assuming they're the same circuit topology but with different capacitors and one was built by a hobbit or something) but some people can. i also don't have the skill to wring out those differences.

i totally believe the (actual talented) guys that play two rocks do so because they can hear those incremental differences.... hell, neil young can hear voltage differences.
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    I've always been a big believer that 90% of the tone comes from the player, and 10% from the setup.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • exhausted wrote:
    toyota echo vs lexus IS..... both cars.... but one is much more so....

perhaps not an entirely accurate parallel but still....

i know i wouldn't be able to hear the differences between a 3K amp and a 7K amp (assuming they're the same circuit topology but with different capacitors and one was built by a hobbit or something) but some people can. i also don't have the skill to wring out those differences.

i totally believe the (actual talented) guys that play two rocks do so because they can hear those incremental differences.... hell, neil young can hear voltage differences.
    Fair enough, like I said, I've never played one so I really don't know!

Hopefully some day!
    I've always been a big believer that 90% of the tone comes from the player, and 10% from the setup.

it absolutely does.

so once one has the skill to wring good tone from a string nailed to a board plugged into a gorilla amp, that 10% becomes a valid discussion. those incremental differences then become a reasonable discussion.

i would also argue that for 90% of people worrying about the capacitors in their guitar's tone control, it's a moot point because they wouldn't be able to hear the difference anyway.

but in reality, everyone should just be writing songs and woodshedding instead... :lol:
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    exhausted wrote:

it absolutely does.

so once one has the skill to wring good tone from a string nailed to a board plugged into a gorilla amp, that 10% becomes a valid discussion. those incremental differences then become a reasonable discussion.

i would also argue that for 90% of people worrying about the capacitors in their guitar's tone control, it's a moot point because they wouldn't be able to hear the difference anyway.

but in reality, everyone should just be writing songs and woodshedding instead... :lol:

Agreed! I once thought that the more money I spend on an amp, guitar, etc. the better I would sound. All it did was verify that I still suck and now have to work harder at playing better to justify spending this kind of cash! :?
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • I think it's all relative. It's all down to what you really want and how much you want to spend.

I totally agree in all that 90% of a players tone is the players hand themselves.

I'm the type of player where I'm messing with the amp settings non stop and am still not happy with what I'm coming up with. But have friends that plug into the same set up unchanged and it sounds absolutely perfect.

This is why guitar rig wise I'm stripping down to the bare minimum amp wise to record. The majority of the time I"m playing through one of two five watt amps that only have a volume knob. The most I'll do is change the speaker cabinet they are running through.

• I think it's all relative. It's all down to what you really want and how much you want to spend.

I totally agree in all that 90% of a players tone is the players hand themselves.

I'm the type of player where I'm messing with the amp settings non stop and am still not happy with what I'm coming up with. But have friends that plug into the same set up unchanged and it sounds absolutely perfect.

This is why guitar rig wise I'm stripping down to the bare minimum amp wise to record. The majority of the time I"m playing through one of two five watt amps that only have a volume knob. The most I'll do is change the speaker cabinet they are running through.
    Exactly. At a point I throw my hands up and say 'fuck it, let's just play and we'll go from there'...

Or as Rich Robinson says... "I don't know why everyone spends so much time on this computer stuff. Plug the damn thing into a fender and it'll sound good".

Exactly. At a point I throw my hands up and say 'fuck it, let's just play and we'll go from there'...

Or as Rich Robinson says... "I don't know why everyone spends so much time on this computer stuff. Plug the damn thing into a fender and it'll sound good".

i agree on both counts.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 286642.jpg

• I think it really just depends on your budget. I have the same guitar but I've gotten away with using a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and a Fulltone OCD pedal. So for like $500 you could get some killer tone.
    Rushmore Plaza Civic Center - Jun 24, 1998; Sandstone Amphitheatre - Jul 03, 1998; Sandstone Amphitheatre - Oct 12, 2000; Mid-America Center - Jun 13, 2003; Fargo Dome - Jun 15, 2003; Xcel Energy Center - Jun 26, 2006; Xcel Energy Center - Jun 27, 2006; United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    Sprint Center - May 03, 2010; Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 2011
  • That makes my head hurt.
  • In australia thats like mid to high range price unfortunatly everything gear is really expensive out here :( but i want to get the best set up i can early when i dont really have to worry bout anything else and that way i will have it for life :)
  • In australia thats like mid to high range price unfortunatly everything gear is really expensive out here :( but i want to get the best set up i can early when i dont really have to worry bout anything else and that way i will have it for life :)
    What does that equal in USD? Like what can 8000 get you amp wise?
  • for about $1000 - $2000 will get you an awesome cab then your looking at anywhere between $5000 and $7000 for the head aswell
  • Try an orange tiny terror, they are cheap on eBay. I got mine for 300. You will need a cab though as it is just a head, if you go to avatar cabs online, you can custom build your own. The terror is only 15 watts but it's full of power and great tone, single coil guitars like your strat will sound amazing.