These Christian commercials are getting redundant

CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,799
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Ever see the ones from I believe " the foundation for a better life" what a pretentious name for your organization to begin with

They have been airing like crazy here in NY, probably everywhere else. They have this litlle 2 minute(looks like psa type thing from the 80's) on a little melodrama that plays out...... And have a word like encouragement, or understanding, or whatever at the end..... Then they say pass it on. OK????

They frame it like their organization came up with these complex ideas ;) and if your not down with them u couldn't treat people well or something.

My question is... Anyone ever think about starting a religion? It seems lucrative and has room for expansion. Could even be recession proof and probably doesn't require any heavy lifting :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    yes.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Father 81 has a nice ring to it
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • My husband says he is going to start his own church all the time. It is amazing how many churches are for sale if you happen to be looking at real estate. And apparently people are willing to blindly give ungodly amounts of money to churches without question because you are always hearing of people being arrested for embezzling money from the church's books. The more christian name the better. Something like The First Church Assembly of the Good Shepard. What do you think? Would you send your check?

http://www.jonacuff.com/stuffchristians ... 0/09/3665/
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    81 wrote:
    Father 81 has a nice ring to it

:lol:
  • arqarq Posts: 8,012
    I thought we were already part of the Pearl Jam church of the later day saints!

And 81 please take you false religion elsewhere!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Just out of curiosity, what makes you think the "Foundation for a Better Life" is a Christian organization?
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I started my own religion like twenty years ago. You won't find a deity out there better than Waffle. But you can't join. Sorry. Leggo my... Waffle?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,799
    milarso wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, what makes you think the "Foundation for a Better Life" is a Christian organization?

Ah the Internet for $500 Alex
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    milarso wrote:

Ah the Internet for $500 Alex
    http://www.values.com/about-us/faq#affiliated

"Are you affiliated with any religion or political view?
    The Foundation for a Better Life is not affiliated with any religion or political view. We hope the values we share transcend any religious, political or cultural orientations."

"Can I give The Foundation for a Better Life money?
    We do not solicit nor accept any money. However, all of our media space is donated. If you are affiliated with a television station, theatre exhibitor, radio station, print publication, or outdoor advertising company and are interested in receiving information about participating in an upcoming public service campaign, please email us."

They don't solicit money?
    Doesn't sound like any religion I've ever heard of.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    edited February 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhyfoYLAn7E

Let us send the evil and the ugly away
    Post edited by Yellow Ledbelly on
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    CROJAM95 wrote:

My question is... Anyone ever think about starting a religion? It seems lucrative and has room for expansion. Could even be recession proof and probably doesn't require any heavy lifting :)
    The Temple of the Jedi Order

http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    Anyone ever think about starting a religion?

I think starting a cult would be fun! I'd make up crazy shit for people to do....weird ceremonies....for me and my 25 husbands! :lol:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    from Wiki:

The Foundation for a Better Life is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization founded in 2000 to promote "positive behavioral values";[1] it is entirely funded by Philip Anschutz, a conservative Evangelical Christian.[2] The Foundation creates public service campaigns to communicate its values, such as honesty, caring, optimism, hard work, and helping others, in an attempt to make a difference in communities. Viewers are encouraged to pass on these values, with the rationale that examples of individuals living values-based lives may not change the world, but collectively they make a difference. The Foundation communicates its message through television, outdoor advertising, theatre, radio, and the Internet.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    ^ started by, run by evangelicals

The commercials are cheesy at best, creepy is more like it

It's always about $$ in some way, form, or fashion. Whether it's direct or indirect.

I was raised Catholic, the Vatican has too much dough and I'm not a fan of the new pope. JP2 seemed to be a good man, this new guy seems to be running a business

My point is, they make it seem like non religious types can't be generous..... I know they use this foundation for better life as a front to who they really are

That's lame
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    Anyone ever think about starting a religion?

I think starting a cult would be fun! I'd make up crazy shit for people to do....weird ceremonies....for me and my 25 husbands! :lol:

Big love in reverse ;)
  • I'm an ordained minister. Did it online and I printed out my certificate and everything, so everyone knows its official. took all of 5 minutes. Just need to get around to starting my own chuch now. :lol:
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • I'm an ordained minister. Did it online and I printed out my certificate and everything, so everyone knows its official. took all of 5 minutes. Just need to get around to starting my own chuch now. :lol:
    mike cooley of the driveby truckers did that....he marries a couple on their LIve at the 40 Watt....makes a funny comment or two about how he got ordained on the internet
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    CROJAM95 wrote:

My point is, they make it seem like non religious types can't be generous..... I know they use this foundation for better life as a front to who they really are

I didn't get that from them at all, and I'm not religious in any way. This just kind of sounds paranoid...
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Jason P wrote:
    CROJAM95 wrote:

The Temple of the Jedi Order

http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/

:shock: :P :ugeek: Oh My!
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I'm waiting for the Foundation for a Better Life to do a commercial where people are bullying someone who's gay and other people jump in help out. I'm not sure we're ever going to see that one.

Also - someone told me years ago that L. Ron Hubbard used to talk about the fastest way to become a millionaire was to start your own religion. And then a few years down the line, voila, he started Scientology.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    milarso wrote:
    CROJAM95 wrote:

I didn't get that from them at all, and I'm not religious in any way. This just kind of sounds paranoid...

I don't think it's being paranoid at all....somebody walks up to you and says, 'would you like a free bible?' most people will say 'no'. Replace 'bible' with 'gift' and it becomes 'would you like a free gift?' most people would be like 'hell yeah!' and then the person shoves a bible in your hand and runs away. *shit*
    I've been duped by the 'boys on bicycles', and the other time was a jehovah witness. i don't take 'gifts from strangers' now (they have gotten a lot pushier lately), and run away from people handing out flyers at concerts....sure there is a picture of Kurt Cobain on the front but you read that stuff and it tells you how you're going to hell and need to be saved because you're listening to 'the devil's music'.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Enkidu wrote:
    Also - someone told me years ago that L. Ron Hubbard used to talk about the fastest way to become a millionaire was to start your own religion. And then a few years down the line, voila, he started Scientology.

I've heard that before too.

And have never seen those commercials....or just didn't notice it.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    4and20 wrote:

I don't think it's being paranoid at all....somebody walks up to you and says, 'would you like a free bible?' most people will say 'no'. Replace 'bible' with 'gift' and it becomes 'would you like a free gift?' most people would be like 'hell yeah!' and then the person shoves a bible in your hand and runs away. *shit*
    I've been duped by the 'boys on bicycles', and the other time was a jehovah witness. i don't take 'gifts from strangers' now (they have gotten a lot pushier lately), and run away from people handing out flyers at concerts....sure there is a picture of Kurt Cobain on the front but you read that stuff and it tells you how you're going to hell and need to be saved because you're listening to 'the devil's music'.

I guess I don't get as worked up about it.
    If someone hands me something I don't want, I throw it away or disregard it. I don't walk away feeling "duped." And I've been told more than once that I'm going to hell for not doing this or because of doing that. Just doesn't bother me I guess.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I got an email years ago about how you could become a minister for $19.99 and make money doing weddings and stuff. I probably still have that email somewhere :lol:
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • CROJAM95 wrote:
    Ever see the ones from I believe " the foundation for a better life" what a pretentious name for your organization to begin with

They have been airing like crazy here in NY, probably everywhere else. They have this litlle 2 minute(looks like psa type thing from the 80's) on a little melodrama that plays out...... And have a word like encouragement, or understanding, or whatever at the end..... Then they say pass it on. OK????

They frame it like their organization came up with these complex ideas ;) and if your not down with them u couldn't treat people well or something.

Kako si Hrvat?
    Vjerujete li u Boga? :lol:
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • "I’ve been involved in a number of cults both as a leader and a follower. You have more fun as a follower but you make more money as a leader." -Creed from The Office

One of my favorite quotes. :D
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.