job interview went great, now the cold shoulder!

prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
i interviewed for a job the first week of january. i know i am well qualified for the position and i feel the interview went exceptional. it was a long day, i was interviewed by five managers and it took well into four hours. at the end of the process, i still felt great and everybody seemed to get along with me. it was implied by several of the managers that the job was pretty much mine and the head investigator for the study was saying things like, "you'll get used to the building layout after a couple days...", "when you start recruiting..." i was told they would get back to me in about a week.

so two weeks go by and i hear nothing, so i begin the follow up process. i cannot reach anybody by phone and my messages are ignored/not returned, and the exact same thing happens when i send an email. it's been over a month now. the way i see it, they interviewed me for four hours among five managers in person, the LEAST they can do is tell me they hired someone else, or the decision to hire me has not yet been made. any small feedback would be courteous. i have heard nothing from them since leaving the interview and they are basically ignoring me.

what makes it worse it i already work for the company, i am just moving to a different project--something all the managers thought was great (already in the system, already know the protocol/policies, i have time in and am expressing interest to continue putting time in, etc) and made a big deal about it. they mentioned that despite that fact, they'd still do a background check, but that does not take this long. also they have checked my references (all of which came to me and confirmed that they put in a good word for me). it does not make any sense.

so at this point i have pretty much written the job off. any wisdom, or advice? i'm pretty much just ranting.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Piss poor HR, but it happens all the time. If you work there, wouldn't you know if they made another hire for the position?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    You're not the first and won't be the last. It seems to be a thing that happens nowadays. I can't understand why they haven't contacted you though.

Very rude!!!!
  • eyedclaar wrote:
    Piss poor HR, but it happens all the time. If you work there, wouldn't you know if they made another hire for the position?
    i work at a univeristy and interviewed for a position in a building in another part of town. according to the website where i applied, it doesn't specify the position was filled. that website is literally all i have to go off of because nobody will communicate with me.
  • nuffingman wrote:
    Very rude!!!!
    very much so. i would understand this if it were a phone screening, but the process they dragged me through they could take a fucking second to tell me what's up. i think i am taking it too personally though.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    eyedclaar wrote:
    i work at a univeristy and interviewed for a position in a building in another part of town. according to the website where i applied, it doesn't specify the position was filled. that website is literally all i have to go off of because nobody will communicate with me.

Well, if someone is avoiding communicaton it typically means you don't have the job. Spineless? Sure, but all too common.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    they always say little shit, like you will get used to the building as if you are the guy.

sometimes job changes happen super quick, other times, they can drag on.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    81 wrote:
    they always say little shit, like you will get used to the building as if you are the guy.

sometimes job changes happen super quick, other times, they can drag on.

Pretty much, unfortunaley. :(

On the other hand, institutional HR sucks!! My friend just went through something similar. He got the job, but it took them two months to let him know. 2 months! He couldn't get a hold of anyone, and one day he got a call like it was normal, like no time had passed with an offer. He had pretty much given up. Same thing happened to my mother at her college. It is the nature of the beast. Hang in there, perhaps there will be good news when you least expect it.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • 81 wrote:
    that's so misleading, guess i know better now.
  • RYEzupSF wrote:
    On the other hand, institutional HR sucks!! My friend just went through something similar. He got the job, but it took them two months to let him know. 2 months! He couldn't get a hold of anyone, and one day he got a call like it was normal, like no time had passed with an offer. He had pretty much given up. Same thing happened to my mother at her college. It is the nature of the beast. Hang in there, perhaps there will be good news when you least expect it.
    this is what i try to keep telling myself, but i just get angry. such an asinine system.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    did you have a drug test?
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcats wrote:
    did you have a drug test?
    i did not take any type of drug test, nor was a drug screening mentioned. i am not worried about that as i am clean.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    'moving to a different project'

maybe they are still deciding and interviewing

maybe they thought inside person is good but then lets get some more to compare it to
    also who makes the final decision?...maybe still in the works
    don't give up hope...keep on keepin on..doing the good work you're doing
    You'll reap the benefits :thumbup:
  • pandora wrote:
    'moving to a different project'

maybe they are still deciding and interviewing

maybe they thought inside person is good but then lets get some more to compare it to
    also who makes the final decision?...maybe still in the works
    don't give up hope...keep on keepin on..doing the good work you're doing
    You'll reap the benefits :thumbup:
    i don't know who makes the final decision, i'm assuming a collective vote among who interviewed me.
    i'm just taken back by the lack of common courtesy. tell me you're undecided and that's fine with me. tell me you went with someone else, that's fine too. saves me aggrevation and i can let the job go and find something else. i really wanted this one.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    it happened to me once. I was interviewed by 2 elderly guys and it lasted like over 2 hours. they made me think I had it by comments they made...
    they gave the job to a person that HR HAD to find another job for...
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • iluvcats wrote:
    it happened to me once. I was interviewed by 2 elderly guys and it lasted like over 2 hours. they made me think I had it by comments they made...
    they gave the job to a person that HR HAD to find another job for...
    a stroke of bad luck if that's the case, but the least they could do is, even vaguely, tell me i didn't get the position.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I was in a similar situation before....I applied for an internal interview, and they would set it up and then cancel and re-schedule because they 'wanted to make sure everybody that needed to be there was there'. So I am in a room with 8 other people all firing questions away at me for 3 hours. The whole 'oh yeah, you'll be the go-to gal for that project blahblahblah'. I sent the obligatory thank-you email AND card....nada, zip, zilch......but thank goodness I didn't get the job, 6 months later the company dissolved the group.

But sending good luck vibes your way!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    This has happened to me not once, but several times. Apparently companies now think it's perfectly OK to never contact you again after an interview. It's rude, but that's how it is.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016