Addicted to the Internet?

SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
anyone else sometimes feel this way. It is so intrusive---sometimes I just cut myself off for a week but i have withdrawal...not good
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Dependent, yes. Addicted no.
  • Gibson72Gibson72 Posts: 1,245
    I am addicted to this site. Check it numerous times a day. I downloaded the iphone app so I can check it while out.
    Gibson1972
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    Gibson72 wrote:
    I am addicted to this site. Check it numerous times a day. I downloaded the iphone app so I can check it while out.

There's an Iphone app to this site, one that you can see and read?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Rygar wrote:
    Dependent, yes. Addicted no.
    Gibson72 wrote:
    I am addicted to this site.

Me too :oops: :P
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • last year, as part of the artists way, I used the computer only to check e-mails and look for jobs, but even limited myself in that department to less than 20 minutes a day. that same week i didnt use or watch any tv, didnt use the computer as I said, and didnt listen to any music, on the radio, on the stereo or in any other way. I also didnt read any books, read the newspaper. and tried to even limit myself in terms of reading we all do every single day, like walking outside we see a billboard and read it, or when we pass a shop or store, we glance at the sign outside and see what its called. I limited my exposure to all that

It was during this week long break, I discovered the internet and my computer is my vice. Instead of painting, or drawing or writing or creating art, I spend too much time online.

During this week of essentially a media blackout, i had some of the most intense and powerful dreams I have ever had in my life.

Its coming up on a year since i did that, the media blackout and i kind of want to do it again.

When we dont do all that stuff, watch tv, read books, listen to music, watch movies, go online, we are forced to do stuff to occupy our time. Thats when good things happen...
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I think so, it's pretty bad, first thing I do when I wake up is turn on the computer, sit and watch a couple websites for hours / all day, this one included. I really want to limit my time online but it's become a habit, once you do something for 21 days in a row, it becomes a habit.

I agree with musicismylife, before I became addicted to the internet, had a cell phone, limited my television time and reading other material (way back in 2000) I wrote 3 books over the span of 2 years. I still write but not as much as I used to or would like.
    last year, as part of the artists way, I used the computer only to check e-mails and look for jobs, but even limited myself in that department to less than 20 minutes a day. that same week i didnt use or watch any tv, didnt use the computer as I said, and didnt listen to any music, on the radio, on the stereo or in any other way. I also didnt read any books, read the newspaper. and tried to even limit myself in terms of reading we all do every single day, like walking outside we see a billboard and read it, or when we pass a shop or store, we glance at the sign outside and see what its called. I limited my exposure to all that

It was during this week long break, I discovered the internet and my computer is my vice. Instead of painting, or drawing or writing or creating art, I spend too much time online.

During this week of essentially a media blackout, i had some of the most intense and powerful dreams I have ever had in my life.

Its coming up on a year since i did that, the media blackout and i kind of want to do it again.

When we dont do all that stuff, watch tv, read books, listen to music, watch movies, go online, we are forced to do stuff to occupy our time. Thats when good things happen...

Really interesting read.I have only had a computer for a few years but I am very conscious of the little I get around to doing once I turn this thing on,compared to what my time used to be filled with.
    The first thing I used to do when I came home was turn on the stereo,now it is the second thing I do after turning on this.
    I spent much of the previous year living extremely rural with frequent loss of power,the most was for 9 days.At first it drove me crazy but I soon found it to be one of the most wondrously freeing times.We talked,we went outside,we were calm,we played board games ... we were very connected at that time.
    But as soon as the power was restored the computer was the first thing to get switched back on.

I find the internet an absolute joy but I am acutely aware of how enticing it can be. I am very interested in what you found out not doing this and what you hope to do next time.Was it for artistic research?
  • e][/quote]

Really interesting read.I have only had a computer for a few years but I am very conscious of the little I get around to doing once I turn this thing on,compared to what my time used to be filled with.
    The first thing I used to do when I came home was turn on the stereo,now it is the second thing I do after turning on this.
    I spent much of the previous year living extremely rural with frequent loss of power,the most was for 9 days.At first it drove me crazy but I soon found it to be one of the most wondrously freeing times.We talked,we went outside,we were calm,we played board games ... we were very connected at that time.
    But as soon as the power was restored the computer was the first thing to get switched back on.

I find the internet an absolute joy but I am acutely aware of how enticing it can be. I am very interested in what you found out not doing this and what you hope to do next time.Was it for artistic research?[/quote]

i wouldnt say it was research. The book Artists way, suggest you do the media deprivation thing that I did. I was bored out of my mind and frankly a little scared the first night, but I did everything from hooking rugs, to drawing for the first time since i was in grade school, to buying paint supplies and canvas and trying out painting for the first time ever, i wrote alot, and I spent alot of time thinking and taking walks. It was around when spring was occuring so everything was blooming and the weather was amazing. I took long walks and noticed things that were extraordinary. The wind in the trees. My family has lived in the same town and in the same area for all my life, 26 years. And during those walks I noticed a tree I hadnt ever seen before, but I had passed it, thousands, maybe millions of times growing up.

the reasoning behind the experience is that we all, myself included spend alot of time obsessed with other peoples art. And for me thats a hugely important part of my life. In my darkest times, others music, books, films, and art has sustained me and helped me cope, in ways that is hard to even articulate. But if thats all we do, spend time listening to others music, reading others feelings and throughts, then we dont really know our own do we? It freed me, i was able to paint and draw about what I WANTED TO, and couldnt and didnt copy some of my favorite painters work. when I was writing, I wrote ABOUT HOW I felt not what my favorite writer felt. The week long media deprivation sort of provided me with the time to think, to think my own thoughts not Eddies, or Bob Dylans, or John lennons. But my own.

Im eager to start it up again. But its tough as hell to do...
    i wouldnt say it was research. The book Artists way, suggest you do the media deprivation thing that I did. I was bored out of my mind and frankly a little scared the first night, but I did everything from hooking rugs, to drawing for the first time since i was in grade school, to buying paint supplies and canvas and trying out painting for the first time ever, i wrote alot, and I spent alot of time thinking and taking walks. It was around when spring was occuring so everything was blooming and the weather was amazing. I took long walks and noticed things that were extraordinary. The wind in the trees. My family has lived in the same town and in the same area for all my life, 26 years. And during those walks I noticed a tree I hadnt ever seen before, but I had passed it, thousands, maybe millions of times growing up.

the reasoning behind the experience is that we all, myself included spend alot of time obsessed with other peoples art. And for me thats a hugely important part of my life. In my darkest times, others music, books, films, and art has sustained me and helped me cope, in ways that is hard to even articulate. But if thats all we do, spend time listening to others music, reading others feelings and throughts, then we dont really know our own do we? It freed me, i was able to paint and draw about what I WANTED TO, and couldnt and didnt copy some of my favorite painters work. when I was writing, I wrote ABOUT HOW I felt not what my favorite writer felt. The week long media deprivation sort of provided me with the time to think, to think my own thoughts not Eddies, or Bob Dylans, or John lennons. But my own.

Im eager to start it up again. But its tough as hell to do...

Thank you for sharing ... I write creatively but have been going to a class to stay focused for two hour ... it is a small step to getting me back to being able to do it at home in silence without deciding to do other stuff instead
    Good luck with any future plans for media exclusion
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    today has been bullpooh for me. nothing but my ass glued to this chair. no swimming today. no nothing. im cool though i guess. i been extremely sore beyond my normal aches.

i am addicted and i know it. i accept it, i own it... all of it. it's so easy for me to sit here for extended periods of time. i write. all my poetry so far today has been vomit and garbage.

wasting time... hello, im a dick.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    i am addicted...I bought a computer back in 98 that had a modem (woo-hoo 56K dial-up!) and spent time on it like you wouldn't believe. Then I got a job where I had internet access so I'd spend my breaks on the internet, then come home get right back on the internet. That job lasted 5 years....I got sick, and didn't get on the net regularly...found another job where the owner did not believe in the internet, so I never had access at work, and my job was so exhausting that on my days off and after work, the last thing I wanted to do was get on the net.
    I was laid off because I had to have hand surgery, and when I was finally able to move around, I re-discovered this site, and this occoupies my time for the most part....i will force myself to get away for a day, or a week, and try to pull my creative side out.... but it's always more interesting to surf...i'm an info junkie.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    lil bit... I take a break every now and then... :mrgreen:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • chadwick wrote:
    wasting time... hello, im a dick.

You're a funny dude, penis.

I reached that point a couple of years ago. I used to have this unstoppable desire to create the funniest shit ever written and compare it with some of the great writers that have come and gone through this place. I'd call my closest friends and ask what to do because it seriously is a problem when it affects your work and even what time you go to bed. You find yourself checking in to see if anybody quoted you to say LOL (<---- that's fucking gay, by the way), I mean...not that someone thought you were funny but I find the use of the term "LOL" to be utterly homosexual, but I digress.

Anyway, when you have to start limiting your own use of the computer, you do have a problem. BUT....and this may be the first time this has ever been said, I was fortunate enough to have an aneurysm, and after that, there was a period when I stopped giving a fuck about anything. In my defense, brain surgery will affect your personality. Fortunately for me, it was long enough to cure my addiction. I don't recommend that route, however, I know for a fact that it works. My proof is that I haven't written anything funny since 2008, and I don't give not 1, but 2 fucks about it.

I do love this community though. You guys are awesome. PJ fans are the best of anybody on the internet.

Now, kindly lick my balls. Thanks.