My neighborhood record store is closing :(

pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,310
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I get most of my vinyl/cds from them and now they are closing,so sad. I feel like I'm stealing from them everytime I go in there as they have 40 percent off everything. They have a 20 disc listening station that I'm thinking of getting - really don't need it but could be cool in the basement........

The people that work there are very cool and I wish I could just buy the place.
If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I worked in a record store for 4 years (1996-2000) It was a great job. Got all my pj displays there, made friends for life, did alot of crazy stuff at the record store. Sucks yours is closing.
    I'll be back
  • it's a shame the record store is dead and/or in the process of dying. There are lots of reasons for this, too many to list.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    pearljim wrote:
    I get most of my vinyl/cds from them and now they are closing,so sad. I feel like I'm stealing from them everytime I go in there as they have 40 percent off everything. They have a 20 disc listening station that I'm thinking of getting - really don't need it but could be cool in the basement........

Here's another reason why these kinds of stores are closing, check out this story from Other Music....

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=148598

Very sad indeed :(

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• PJFAN13PJFAN13 Posts: 1,422
    If you haven't heard Whalen's "Record Store" - I highly suggest you do so. The ultimate song about the record store lover.

"Rest in peace my record store" :(
    11.30.93~10.2.96~9.13.98~9.1.00~8.25.00~7.3.03~7.5.03
    7.9.03~9.28.04~10.1.05~5.12.06~5.13.06~5.27.06~5.28.06
    8.5.08(EV)~10.9.09~5.21.10~6.20.11(EV)~7.5.11(EV)~7.9.11(EV)
    11.21.13~8.27.16(EV)~11.14.16(TOTD)~4.13.20~9.27.20~9.26.21~10.2.21
    2.15.22 (EV)~2.25.22 (EV)~2.27.22 (EV)~5.3.22~5.7.22~9.17.24~9.29.24
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    g under p wrote:
    pearljim wrote:

Here's another reason why these kinds of stores are closing, check out this story from Other Music....

http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=148598

Very sad indeed :(

Peace

This makes me so sad ... I grew up buying all my music from small musty indie music stores ... joyous places full of opportunity ... albums hanging from the walls ... I was hooked into the images ... was introduced to many lifetime bands that way,Rush Fly By Night,loved the owl,U2 Boy,the kid looked so lonely ... most of the indies are closing here now too ... heartbreaking.

Is the listening station for sale? That would be amazing.

I also watched the clip in Other Music ... so sad :cry:
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    One good thing, there's a record store in College Park MD called The CD Depot and they first sold strictly cd's. Then they bought out a vynil record store that was going out of business and started selling these vynil records. Their sales soared maybe due to the college kids from the University of MD, or just an increase in vynil sales/interest (I have the hardest time spelling vynil). ;)

It's also increased it's sales in cd's both used and new. I have a Michael Franti friend that works there and tells me all their details. :)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,262
    the internet killed off all these stores..shame ..

Yeah very true i haven't been in a true record store in decades :(
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....