Playstation 3

thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
edited April 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
This year for my father's birthday he really wants a PlayStation 3 so I was wondering where could I order one for the cheapest amount of money, I'm not trying to be cheap but my family can't afford a really expensive gaming system for him. Thanks for the help!!! :D:D:D
Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I recommend craigslist. I buy and sell on there all the time! Just be careful with scammers. Good luck rico!!
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense"

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
    MSG 24 - 1
    Boston 24 -1
    Boston 24 -2 
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    FYI PSN hacked.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/26/sony-says-psn-intrusion-compromised-personal-info-hopes-to-ha/
    Sounds like no information is safe (passwords, credit cards, etc).
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    new...walmart

used...i'm always leary of buying used electronics, but if i had to go used, i'd check out a second hand store like disc replay. save a few bucks and if it doesn't work, you can easily find the seller.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Rygar wrote:
    FYI PSN hacked.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/26/sony-says-psn-intrusion-compromised-personal-info-hopes-to-ha/
    Great, now I need to figure out what credit card I used on Sony's network and cancel it.

If it wasn't for a few games like MLB the Show and Gran Turismo, I think I would be better off selling it.
  • capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    Depending on how much time you have until you buy it, Amazon sometimes runs some cool deals. Like get a free $50 Amazon GC or a cool game or something like that.

The hacking of PSN is absurd. I don't even want to get into talking about that shit.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Game Stop has always good deals on used systems. Give them a shot.
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    Depending on how much time you have until you buy it, Amazon sometimes runs some cool deals. Like get a free $50 Amazon GC or a cool game or something like that.

The hacking of PSN is absurd. I don't even want to get into talking about that shit.

Meijers was doing that as well the last time i was there. Buy a ps3 for 299 and get a 50 gift card.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Jason P wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    FYI PSN hacked.
    Great, now I need to figure out what credit card I used on Sony's network and cancel it.

If it wasn't for a few games like MLB the Show and Gran Turismo, I think I would be better off selling it.
    I didn't change my CC address info on my PS3 since moving so I'm probably fine (famous last words!).

I hear you on the usage, although since getting a racing wheel and 3Dtv it has improved ;)
  • Rygar wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    FYI PSN hacked.

I didn't change my CC address info on my PS3 since moving so I'm probably fine (famous last words!).

I hear you on the usage, although since getting a racing wheel and 3Dtv it has improved ;)

mr. rygar, i rarely play online ps3 and i made my account a long time ago, i can't remember if they asked for my credit card number as part of signing up or not. i've never bought a game or downloaded anything with my cc on there. do you think i'm safe?
    mr. rygar, i rarely play online ps3 and i made my account a long time ago, i can't remember if they asked for my credit card number as part of signing up or not. i've never bought a game or downloaded anything with my cc on there. do you think i'm safe?
    I would change your email password. There's no requirement to have a CC saved to your ps3 profile, you only need it if you want to buy things from the ps store without having a ps points card (sold in stores).
    I think you're good after you change your email password. :thumbup:
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    This is what Sony has to say in regards to the hack:

"Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

Sounds like Sony shut the service down themselves when they became aware that the personal data of 70 million of their customers had been compromised ... and then waited seven days to tell us. Who the fuck is running things over there?
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Jason P wrote:
    Sounds like Sony shut the service down themselves when they became aware that the personal data of 70 million of their customers had been compromised ... and then waited seven days to tell us. Who the fuck is running things over there?

And so it begins...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/ars-readers-report-credit-card-fraud-blame-sony.ars

Sony has informed consumers who have used the PlayStation Network that much of their personal information has been stolen by a person or group of people who broke into the system and made off with the data. What Sony can't (or won't) tell us is whether our credit card information remains secure.

The number of Ars Technica readers who have had issues with their credit cards in the past few days, and have commented, e-mailed, or Tweeted about the issue, is alarming. We may be dealing with a coincidence in timing, but when your inbox is heavy with people saying they're fighting fraudulent credit card charges, it may be the first signs of fire somewhere in the smoke.

Let's take a look at some of the comments and e-mails that have been sent to us. Some people are just now noticing the issues, while others noticed the fraudulent charges last weekend.

"My American Express card was compromised over the weekend," one commenter stated. "This card sits in a drawer in my house for emergencies, but I did use it once on my PSP for an account. Luckily American Express is very good at notifying me immediately after the first fraudulent purchase."

Another reader e-mailed with a similar story. "About two or three days ago, my bank notified me that I had gotten my own [credit card information] stolen, the one I use for my PSN account, and with it a ticket was purchased through a German airline for nearly $600," she told Ars. "They are still looking into the fraud charge meaning that right now I have a negative $500 in my account, with no good chance that I'll be getting that back any time soon."

Another reader had a similar issue. "I had a call from my credit card company trying to verify a purchase which ended up being fraudulent. Same card I use on Sony's network. They denied [the charge] and issued me a new card," the reader commented. "Might be coincidence, but with the other security gaffes recently, I'm guessing not. Not sure what my opinion of Sony is right now and what my future is with them."

Let's keep this ball rolling! "I also had an attempted fraudulent charge on my American Express card, about $8,000 going to some Japanese store. This all happened about when PSN started having trouble, so I'm betting this had something to do with it," another commenter said. "My advice: if you have your credit card info on PSN, watch your accounts like a hawk. I'm buying pre-paid cards from now on; you know, if I decide to ever spend money on PSN again."

Here's a response to a complaint of fraudulent charges in the comments. "Probably not a coincidence, I had the same thing happen this weekend. I got an Easter Sunday call from American Express about suspicious charges that began Saturday."

There are more, but they're all variations on a theme. All told, two dozen or so people have contacted Ars with reports of fraudulent or suspicious activity on their credit cards. It's still possible that this story simply caused people to take a look at their finances and find unrelated issues, but in many of the reports the credit card companies are reaching out to them with reports of abuse.

What can you do?
    We contacted Sony for comment, but we're not holding our breath: the company has been famously reluctant to share information with angry gamers demanding disclosure. While the PlayStation Network remains down, you can do a search for past e-mails from Sony, sent when you've added funds to your account; this will tell you what credit card you have on file—and that's the card you need to be concerned about.

Be sure to watch your accounts, search for any suspicious activity, and you can contact your bank and ask for a replacement card. Call your financial institutions about fraud protection services, but be sure to research any for-pay solutions.

If you have had issues with your credit card since the PlayStation hack, let us know in the comments. The sooner we receive official word from Sony, the better for everyone.
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Jason P wrote:
    This is what Sony has to say in regards to the hack:

"Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

From read online that Sony's working with the FBI on this. I'm not quite to sure how much information they're actually allowed to give out about the case.

I've never order anything from their online store and my e-mail and psn have different passwords. The only thing I'm worried about is how much personal data I had to give when I made my account.
    clearly the PSN should be free to all. :P

this sounds like a major cluster fuck
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Here is the first full statement that Sony gave regarding the problem, which didn't come out until yesterday even though PSN had already been down for a week.
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... -qriocity/
    Here is the first full statement that Sony gave regarding the problem, which didn't come out until yesterday even though PSN had already been down for a week.
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... -qriocity/

Sorry your thread kinda got hijacked Rico :)
  • Rygar wrote:
    I would change your email password. There's no requirement to have a CC saved to your ps3 profile, you only need it if you want to buy things from the ps store without having a ps points card (sold in stores).
    I think you're good after you change your email password. :thumbup:

excellant. Thanks for the help!
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I can only imagine that the hack is in retaliation of Sony Suing a hacker called GeoHot. They eventually settled out of court but It probably pissed off the hacking community so they exploited the PSN network.

A shame that Sony didn't have a hold on this sooner. Someone must have been sleeping on the job.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    I can only imagine that the hack is in retaliation of Sony Suing a hacker called GeoHot. They eventually settled out of court but It probably pissed off the hacking community so they exploited the PSN network.

A shame that Sony didn't have a hold on this sooner. Someone must have been sleeping on the job.

It's pretty pathetic that there even is a "hacking community". Hacking old ROM and making your own version of Super Mario is one thing. But using your computer-geek skills to fuck shit up for others is lame.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539

It's pretty pathetic that there even is a "hacking community". Hacking old ROM and making your own version of Super Mario is one thing. But using your computer-geek skills to fuck shit up for others is lame.
    I agree. This is a pretty serious crime and I hope they catch em
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    :lol::lol::lol: Thanks for the advice everyone but we got my dad a PS3 a long time ago! And yes, the recent news is crazy!!! :?
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I'm a firm believer that anyone who steals anyone's identity, hacks a credit card...even if for only $1, etc. should be hung from their balls!

I've had a personal ccard number ripped off before (about 6 years ago) My ccard company let me know of it right away and I didn't have to pay anything, but still I was irate!
    I also had my corporate card "re-created" before. A hotel in Orlando had an employee(s) that would take the number and put that number onto another card and make it magnetically swipeable. A group of some of us from work who were staying there got hit. Charges were popping up all over the country, in South America, Europe,... unreal!

As far as the PSN getting hacked, I'm surprised it hasn't happened sooner. 70 million users is a gold mine for the willing and able hacker. They are saying that at the end of this, it could cost Sony anywhere from $20 million to multi-billions. That's insane! I also see Microsoft got hit recently, and is making statements for people to check their statements.
    Sign of the times...you put a credit card number on anything and you can get burned!