Poland

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone here from Poland? Or has anyone been there for any length of time?

I'm going to pass through in April. I heard Warsaw isn't very interesting, so I plan to pass through Warsaw on the bus from Estonia, and spend a few days in Krakow. Krakow looks pretty nice and has a lot of places of interest - Auschwitz, Schindlers factory, the Wieliczka Salt Mine e.t.c.

If anyone can give me any tips/advice I'd appreciate it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    Searching "Poland" right here in AET reveals within the first page or two at least two members with Poland listed as their location.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Krakow is a great city, it's not too big and you can walk everywhere. Auschwitz is a full day trip but don't get caught going on an official tour, you can get a bus from the bus station. There are plenty of restaurants and cafes and numerous places to visit. The Royal Castle can take up a complete morning or afternoon.

Please ignore all the people trying to sell you tours.

Schindler's factory wasn't open when we visited so I can't say much. This page might be useful.
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions- ... oland.html
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    www.myspace.com
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Thanks. The Salt mines look cool. A Polish fella here in China told me to make sure I visit here:

650394770_af7f6f02da.jpg

Wieliczka_saltmine_2.jpg

wieliczka-salt-mine-statue.jpg
  • My ex-husband is from Poland. I went once to visit his family. We flew into Warsaw, but we skipped sightseeing since it's a totally rebuilt city and he said there wasn't much to see. I adored Krakow - so much history. I loved Wawel castle. Also spent a few days in Zakopane, which is really beautiful. We visited Auschwitz as well...very hard place to spend time at. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to get some answers for you!
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    My ex-husband is from Poland. I went once to visit his family. We flew into Warsaw, but we skipped sightseeing since it's a totally rebuilt city and he said there wasn't much to see. I adored Krakow - so much history. I loved Wawel castle. Also spent a few days in Zakopane, which is really beautiful. We visited Auschwitz as well...very hard place to spend time at. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to get some answers for you!

Yeah, Wawel castle is on my list. I'm gonna see all the main sights but I wondered if there were any places I should check out that are off the beaten track - places of interest, or cool bars e.t.c?
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    My ex-husband is from Poland. I went once to visit his family. We flew into Warsaw, but we skipped sightseeing since it's a totally rebuilt city and he said there wasn't much to see. I adored Krakow - so much history. I loved Wawel castle. Also spent a few days in Zakopane, which is really beautiful. We visited Auschwitz as well...very hard place to spend time at. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try to get some answers for you!

Yeah, Wawel castle is on my list. I'm gonna see all the main sights but I wondered if there were any places I should check out that are off the beaten track - places of interest, or cool bars e.t.c?
    It's been years since I've been there, but my ex just got back from a visit a few weeks ago, so I'll ask him. I can't remember any of the names of the bars/etc we visited when I was there...not sure if they even exist anymore!

Byrnzie wrote:

It's been years since I've been there, but my ex just got back from a visit a few weeks ago, so I'll ask him. I can't remember any of the names of the bars/etc we visited when I was there...not sure if they even exist anymore!

I expect there'll be absinthe involved somewhere along the way. :mrgreen:
  • Byrnzie wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

I expect there'll be absinthe involved somewhere along the way. :mrgreen:
    :lol: There is definitely no shortage of good places to drink there...they like their alcohol. I had the worst hangover of my life during that trip. A relative had made some kind of apple liqueur...tasted so good going down but I was so sick the next day :sick: Not the best way to meet my father-in-law for the first time :lol: Might be why I can't remember the names of any places :think: :lol:

:lol: There is definitely no shortage of good places to drink there...they like their alcohol. I had the worst hangover of my life during that trip. A relative had made some kind of apple liqueur...tasted so good going down but I was so sick the next day :sick: Not the best way to meet my father-in-law for the first time :lol: Might be why I can't remember the names of any places :think: :lol:

I have total faith in the green fairy :P

(I'm gonna buy some proper green absinthe and the spoon that goes with it, and then let nature take it's course. I've had it before and it's not done me many favours...but I keep the faith....

absinthe.jpg
  • gfnk001gfnk001 Posts: 652
    I have a friend who lives in Warsaw and according to him it's an amazing vibrant large city. But not much historical as it has been rebuilt. So I vote historical or one night to party in Warsaw. Have a blast and post pics.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i work with a polish girl. if i think about it, i'll ask
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

sure you will.
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

sure you will.

go rip somebody else off
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

sure you will.

go rip somebody else off

you're next.

i just got licensed in illinois actually. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • Paulina87Paulina87 Posts: 3,300
    yeah, Warsaw isn't very interesting but besides Krakow which is really beautiful you can also visit Wroclaw. Depends how many days you wanna spend here?
    Chorzów 2007 - Berlin 2009 - Berlin 2010 - Gdynia 2010 - Berlin 2012 - Berlin 2012 - Stockholm 2012 - EV Manchester 2012 - Milan 2014 - Trieste 2014 - Vienna 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Gdynia 2014 - Rio 2018 - Sao Paulo 2018
    Paulina87 wrote:
    yeah, Warsaw isn't very interesting but besides Krakow which is really beautiful you can also visit Wroclaw. Depends how many days you wanna spend here?

I reckon 3 or 4 days in Krakow, before moving on to Berlin.
  • Apparently theres is now an excavation of how how Krakow used to look 1000 years ago underneath the whole Main Square. The entrance to it is in Sukienice, which is their shopping hall. The excavation wasn't there when I visited, but just loved walking up the small streets near the square. There are a ton of great bars and restaurants. There was a great one in a basement down one of the side streets, but neither one of us can remember the name of it! He also recommended the salt mines in Wielczka and recommended hitting up the bars in Zakopane, which isn't too far from Krakow.

• Paulina87Paulina87 Posts: 3,300
    Apparently theres is now an excavation of how how Krakow used to look 1000 years ago underneath the whole Main Square. The entrance to it is in Sukienice, which is their shopping hall. The excavation wasn't there when I visited, but just loved walking up the small streets near the square. There are a ton of great bars and restaurants. There was a great one in a basement down one of the side streets, but neither one of us can remember the name of it! He also recommended the salt mines in Wielczka and recommended hitting up the bars in Zakopane, which isn't too far from Krakow.

Zakopane is worth seeing too and salt mines in Wieliczka and if you will have time go to Wroclaw to see town square, if you will have any problems you can pm me and I'll try to help if I can ;)
    Chorzów 2007 - Berlin 2009 - Berlin 2010 - Gdynia 2010 - Berlin 2012 - Berlin 2012 - Stockholm 2012 - EV Manchester 2012 - Milan 2014 - Trieste 2014 - Vienna 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Gdynia 2014 - Rio 2018 - Sao Paulo 2018
    Cool. Thanks. :thumbup:
  • My family is polish but I was born in Australia, I went there for 10 weeks in 2008 and I didn’t want to come back! I highly recommend going to Zakopane (just south of Krakow) and hiking through the Tatra mountains, that’s if the weather is good. If you do stop in Warsaw I suggest visiting the old town, also the Royal Baths Park is nice to walk around too. Krakow is a beautiful place to visit with heaps of attractions that have already been mentioned. If you do go to Auschwitz you can book a tour from Krakow which can be expensive, or as I did, you can catch the bus or mini bus that goes to Oświęcim.

These are a few photos I took whilst there:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kasiamaz/s ... 987533510/