I need a Canadian's help!

Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
So, on Lake Erie there is an archipelago/peninsula type thing that jets down into Lake Erie out of Ontario. When I was a student I lived right on the lake in Dunkirk and on really clear nights I swear I could see lights directly to the north of me. I've tried and tried to find information on this peninsula but so far have been unsuccessful. All I know is on Google Earth they refer to it as "The Cottages". Can anyone tell me if people live there or what it might be used for? Are there actual city lights there or am I just seeing things?
If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i've been there. it's the southern most point of canada. point pele

i doubt that is what you are seeing. maybe a freighter or an island.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Big Drop wrote:
    So, on Lake Erie there is an archipelago/peninsula type thing that jets down into Lake Erie out of Ontario. When I was a student I lived right on the lake in Dunkirk and on really clear nights I swear I could see lights directly to the north of me. I've tried and tried to find information on this peninsula but so far have been unsuccessful. All I know is on Google Earth they refer to it as "The Cottages". Can anyone tell me if people live there or what it might be used for? Are there actual city lights there or am I just seeing things?

you wouldn't see point pelee from buffalo, it's a national park.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    point pelee national park ... there are cottages in the area and its quite possible there is a light house out there somewhere ... it's known for the monarch butterfly and being the southern most point of canada ...
    You might be seeing long point provincial park area, doubtful anyway other than park staff and maybe researchers live there.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• lukin2006 wrote:

I went to school in Fredonia, so I was in Dunkirk when I would see this. Dunkirk is pretty much due south to "The Cottages". I was just curious what this place is used for and if people live there year round or even seasonally.
    Big Drop wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I went to school in Fredonia, so I was in Dunkirk when I would see this. Dunkirk is pretty much due south to "The Cottages". I was just curious what this place is used for and if people live there year round or even seasonally.

People live outside the park, a mix of year round homes and seasonal cottages. No one lives in the park, other than maybe park staff and researchers, hope this helps.

• lukin2006 wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

People live outside the park, a mix of year round homes and seasonal cottages. No one lives in the park, other than maybe park staff and researchers, hope this helps.

It does! I've been curious about this for a very long time and simply googling "The cottages" did not yield very good results. Thank you very much everyone for helping me out!
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

You might have seen pelee island...there is a lighthouse on the island as well as seasonal and full time residents.