Options

Anyone use one of these...

MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
edited February 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
Looking for any feedback on either of these amps.

Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III

I currently have a Peavey Classic 50 4x10, but am looking to downsize a little since I recently had to move my gear into a smaller room to make room for 2 little ones on the way. The Peavey is a killer amp, but is just a bit too much for what I need.

Both seem to have similar qualities, but the Blues Deluxe seems to get more positive reviews. Either way, I have seen a few used around the ATL area and provided I can sell or trade the Peavey quickly, I could spring for a new one too.

I've also been looking at the Marshall Haze 40W 1x12, but haven't seen one in person yet to try out.

All 3 are at a price point that I am happy with for a combo tube amp.

Thanks!
"Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    For that price, I'd recommend the Traynor YCV40. Almost as good cleans, as a much much much better overdrive.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I have a HRDeluxe and absolutely love it....but the overdrive is weak (like keeponrockin said). but the clean tone is UNREAL.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I've played a bunch of HRD's, but never the newest version (III).

Blues Deluxe always had a reputation for a better Drive channel, but again, not sure about the new HRD.

You might see if there are any useful reviews on Harmony Central...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    I have a HRDeluxe and absolutely love it....but the overdrive is weak (like keeponrockin said). but the clean tone is UNREAL.
    Yeah, if you want a great clean channel, I'd go HRD.. If you want a REALLY GOOD clean channel and a good OD, go Traynor.

But if Fender Cleans are what you're after, ya gotta go Fender.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    HRD!!!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    I've played a bunch of HRD's, but never the newest version (III).

Blues Deluxe always had a reputation for a better Drive channel, but again, not sure about the new HRD.

You might see if there are any useful reviews on Harmony Central...

I've pretty much seen the same online. Probably leaning more towards the HRD, don't really know why, just sounds more like what I want from what I have seen. Eventhough the built in OD may be a little weak, I love the Fender cleans and reverb, so I think I can sacrifice some of the OD and compensate with one of my pedals.

Wish me luck, the profit sharing check comes in a week, then I'm off to make my final decision!
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Eventhough the built in OD may be a little weak, I love the Fender cleans and reverb, so I think I can sacrifice some of the OD and compensate with one of my pedals.

The really nice thing about the HRD is that it takes pedals REALLY well. In fact, it's probably known as the most pedal-friendly amp out there. And I would think that Fender would've spent some time on the OD channel, since it's kind of a laughing-stock.

Personally, I always thought that if I owned a Hot Rod Deluxe or Deville, I'd replace the tube in the Drive channel with something lower-gain, like a 12AU7 or 12AT7, and use it as a clean-boost channel.

But really, if you have overdrive/distortion pedals that you like, I'd definitely endorse the HRD. The one mod worth considering: Speaker upgrade. Put a Celestion Vintage 30 or Heritage 30 speaker in, it will make a noticeable improvement in overall tone.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    The one thing that no one said here was...

Damn this thing is LOUD!!! :o8-)

Brought it home last night and haven't turned it up past 1 1/2. And had the guitar's volume turned down!

But MIG, you are correct, the amp takes pedals very well. I haven't ran all of mine through it yet, but so far, the OCD and TS9 sound phenomenal.

Here's to hopin the neighbors don't call the cops on me! Heck, if I turn it up loud enough, they may be able to hear it at the police station a few miles from here! :shock:

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    yeah...it is loud!!! sorry...maybe i should have mentioned it. :?

great choice, by the way! and for the record....the neighbors complain all the time. it's just a matter of playing when you know they aren't there. ;)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 wrote:
    yeah...it is loud!!! sorry...maybe i should have mentioned it. :?

great choice, by the way! and for the record....the neighbors complain all the time. it's just a matter of playing when you know they aren't there. ;)

I didn't say loud was a bad thing! :D8-)

Good thing I work 2nd shift and my off days are in the middle of the week...I can be loud when everyone else is at work!

• Options
    For that price, I'd recommend the Traynor YCV40. Almost as good cleans, as a much much much better overdrive.

I was looking at one of these. Does it take pedals as well as the HRD? I mean it already has a better speaker and tubes than the HRD. Just curious. I saw a open box wine red one on ebay for $500 + free shipping.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    Not the answer you are looking for. But the Classic 50 is a really overlooked amp. Nice piece. The OCD probably works well with that.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    Not the answer you are looking for. But the Classic 50 is a really overlooked amp. Nice piece. The OCD probably works well with that.

I'll second this. I have the 4x10 Classic 50. I still haven't got rid of it since picking up the HRDlx. OCD does sound good with it, so does the Blues Driver and Tubescreamer. I've had some problems with a recurring popping noise that comes and goes, but I think a minimal investment by a tech could solve the issue.

At first I was thinking of trading it away or selling it outright, but the more I read on it, I may keep it to tinker with (ie minor repair, speaker swap out, etc). Maybe it'll help me get a little more out of it if/when I decide to sell.

I am also curious about the Traynor, I came across a YCV20WR on Craigslist that I'm waiting on some info on from the seller.

• Options

I'll second this. I have the 4x10 Classic 50. I still haven't got rid of it since picking up the HRDlx. OCD does sound good with it, so does the Blues Driver and Tubescreamer. I've had some problems with a recurring popping noise that comes and goes, but I think a minimal investment by a tech could solve the issue.

At first I was thinking of trading it away or selling it outright, but the more I read on it, I may keep it to tinker with (ie minor repair, speaker swap out, etc). Maybe it'll help me get a little more out of it if/when I decide to sell.

I am also curious about the Traynor, I came across a YCV20WR on Craigslist that I'm waiting on some info on from the seller.

If only the classic 50 was just he head.... But still a great great piece.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    My advice would be to get the amp with the best clean sound. You can always add distortion,overdrive via foot pedals/rack gear. Enter the TS9 Tube screamer. Great clean sound is a must.
  • Options

If only the classic 50 was just he head.... But still a great great piece.

Yeah, I would much rather have it as a head unit and run a 2x12 cab instead of the 4x10 combo