crickets all over my workplace...

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_%28insect%29

Disgusting, we can't get rid of them, every morning we arrive at work to find more and more.
They are hopping all over the floor and freaking us out.
Today they got behind the filing cabinets and started making their chirping noises as if it were nighttime.
Not sure why this outbreak, the weather?
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KM43590KM43590 Posts: 298
    I feel for you! an infestation of any kind is no good, especially when they make noise. The past couple years my basement has played host to what are called "cave crickets" or "camel crickets" ...they don't make noise, but they are everywhere, they defy gravity and they are cannibalistic. The worst part is they can jump from 6 feet away on the ground right on to your face. I've never feared any insect before I ran into these bastards. Google search an image of a "camel cricket" and it'll give you the willies! :lol:
  • KM43590 wrote:
    I feel for you! an infestation of any kind is no good, especially when they make noise. The past couple years my basement has played host to what are called "cave crickets" or "camel crickets" ...they don't make noise, but they are everywhere, they defy gravity and they are cannibalistic. The worst part is they can jump from 6 feet away on the ground right on to your face. I've never feared any insect before I ran into these bastards. Google search an image of a "camel cricket" and it'll give you the willies! :lol:

Yeah they hop like crazy.
    I stomped my foot near one to shoo it away, it hopped onto the second shelf where I have my files.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • sure they're not baby locusts that have hatched from the locust plague of 6 weeks ago? i only ask cos we have the same thing. had about 50,000 of them at the front door of my work last friday.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • Saw on the news tonight, they are all over Melbourne.
    I stomped my foot near one at work today and it hopped 10 meters in 3 hops.
    It then smashed into a wall before turning back and hopping towards me and then it hopped onto my foot lol
  • sure they're not baby locusts that have hatched from the locust plague of 6 weeks ago? i only ask cos we have the same thing. had about 50,000 of them at the front door of my work last friday.

We had locusts in the office a few weeks ago, these are definitely crickets.
    Easy to tell them apart.
  • Where the heck do you work?

I used to work in a very small museum in a college biology building, across from a vivarium where they raised crickets. I worked in a room with so many mothballs that about half the staff would pass out within five minutes... I came close once or twice. You opened the door, and the smell hit you like a brick wall, and you could actually taste it. And the damn crickets from the vivarium would escape, walk over into the museum and party. I asked the director of the vivarium how it was biologically possible for the little beasties to survive fumes like that, fumes that were strong enough to overcome adult humans, and he just said "they're hearty".

So, all I can say is make peace with the crickets. Throw on the song "bugs", rock out, and good luck.
    she holds the hand that holds her down, she will rise above!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    clearly, 2012 is hitting the land down under a year early
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Where the heck do you work?

I used to work in a very small museum in a college biology building, across from a vivarium where they raised crickets. I worked in a room with so many mothballs that about half the staff would pass out within five minutes... I came close once or twice. You opened the door, and the smell hit you like a brick wall, and you could actually taste it. And the damn crickets from the vivarium would escape, walk over into the museum and party. I asked the director of the vivarium how it was biologically possible for the little beasties to survive fumes like that, fumes that were strong enough to overcome adult humans, and he just said "they're hearty".

So, all I can say is make peace with the crickets. Throw on the song "bugs", rock out, and good luck.

I work in an office.