NHL All-Star Fantasy Player Draft

kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
what a joke this was lol, and of course Phil Kessel had to be taken last.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=351478
London 2005
Toronto 2011 night 2
Hamilton 2011
London 2013
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i thought the idea was fun, although the actual draft it self was sort of unentertaining.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,411
    Kessel is not that good. He's a one-dimensional player, who when he isn't scoring, does not make his team better in any way. It's a reflection of the Leafs' poor management decisions - giving top player dollars to a player who is a good 2nd liner on any good team. See Phaneuf as another example of an over-rated Leafs' acquisition.

On a brighter note ... there's no clear-cut favorite for the 'cup this year - so the playoffs have the opportunity to be very interesting.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    Whats the deal with this draft? They had an old school draft for the all star game? Like there are captains and they pick players? If so, that is fucking awesome and I want to meet the asshole who is a professional athlete and got picked last.
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    ha! They split up the sisters!

Oh the intrigue is killing me. Imagine if one of them hit the other? It would be the first time they played each other, the first hit either threw, and the first one thrown at an all star game! You can't make this shit up!
    The Count has gotta be rubbing his greedy paws together over that...bet it's still only a mildly entertaining game, and def not as entertaining as a full NHL schedule weekend. I'm in fantasy pool withdrawl already.
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I think one of the funniest things that happened last night was Kesler giving Backes the nod to join that squad... Especially after this incident:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1angy_kjuk

*note, Kelly is Backes' wife.
  • It was a good idea, but that thing got boring pretty fast.

Marc Staal is a funny dude. I'm a Penguin fan and have gotten to see Jordan Staal's dry sense of humor in many interviews, and apparently it is a family trait. Funny stuff with Marc & Eric.

I think the only person more bored watching than me, was Ovechkin. He just looked grumpy and was just sitting there laying with his phone all night.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    Well the TSN people didn't help, James Duthie got real annoying as the night went on
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • I enjoyed watching it, but it was a bit too predictable. I am loving Team Lidstrom, even though I wish Letang could have made it on that squad. Staal played it safe to not piss anyone off and I think they would get crushed if guys actually made an effort in this game.

Of course they won't so anything can happen.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Whats the deal with this draft? They had an old school draft for the all star game? Like there are captains and they pick players? If so, that is fucking awesome and I want to meet the asshole who is a professional athlete and got picked last.
    Captain plus two alternate captains picked the rest of the squads playground style

Last guy picked got a new honda crx for himself and 20k for his charity
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I enjoyed watching it, but it was a bit too predictable. I am loving Team Lidstrom, even though I wish Letang could have made it on that squad. Staal played it safe to not piss anyone off and I think they would get crushed if guys actually made an effort in this game.

Of course they won't so anything can happen.
    On paper, lindstrom is the better squad, but you never know in these wide open games
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I thought it could've been entertaining, but it wasn't 'lose' enough, this needs to be on HBO where they can swear and just have a rowdy good time.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • 81 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Captain plus two alternate captains picked the rest of the squads playground style

One of the best tweets last night about Kessel getting the car:
    "The car Kessel won is worth $23,490. Kessel's daily salary: $29,032 (over 186 days)"

If that doesn't put the money that professional athletes make into perspective, nothing does...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • 81 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

One of the best tweets last night about Kessel getting the car:
    "The car Kessel won is worth $23,490. Kessel's daily salary: $29,032 (over 186 days)"

If that doesn't put the money that professional athletes make into perspective, nothing does...

Yeah I have NEVER understood giving these multi-millionaires cars like that. I know it's all about advertising/exposure and it's cool that they did the $20,000 in charity as well, but I always wonder if they ever even actually get in the car that they win when they undoubtedly already have their ride of choice. I'm sure most of them end up donating it or giving it away but still...
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Was fun being there and seeing it live last night. Great atmosphere if you are a hockey fan.
    Brian
    I don't remember seeing or hearing Bettman get boo'd. What gives?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,734
    81 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Thats awesome, just saw some of it on SportsCenter. I think that's a great ida.

Thats funny, can't do better than a CRX though?
    I think Honda is the official sponsor of the NHL. Sad I know.

Funny thing though, I play NHL11 and they have a Honda logo in it, my 2 year old girl says Honda when she sees it on the loading screens.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859

And that's ice hockey, nothing compared to the big 3.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,828
    All stars competetion was pretty cool.

Zdeno Chara broke the hardest shot with 105.9 mph

Alex Ovechkin's nifty stick handling on the breakaway competition was also pretty sweet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csYwv79Z_Jg

Although this probably wasn't his best moment :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phQRYaxAHYU
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    I thought the draft was a cool idea, if you like all-star games. Personally I hate all-star games. I'll watch the skills competition but that's about it. I never saw the point for it in any of the professional sports. I have no problem with naming an all star team but there is no need for them to play some half-assed pond hockey pick up scrimmage. Every year they do something to TRY and make them more interesting. But they are meaningless so what's the point. Oh yeah, like baseball, great idea. You could have a team that wins 120 games or so and doesn't get home field advantage in the world series. Why? So the all star game has some feeble sort of meaning? They're still going to take the pitchers out after a couple of innings so it's still not a real game. I know these all star things are embedded in professional sport and are here to stay but they are just a waste when I could be watching some real hockey.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    eddiec wrote:
    I thought the draft was a cool idea, if you like all-star games. Personally I hate all-star games. I'll watch the skills competition but that's about it. I never saw the point for it in any of the professional sports. I have no problem with naming an all star team but there is no need for them to play some half-assed pond hockey pick up scrimmage. Every year they do something to TRY and make them more interesting. But they are meaningless so what's the point. Oh yeah, like baseball, great idea. You could have a team that wins 120 games or so and doesn't get home field advantage in the world series. Why? So the all star game has some feeble sort of meaning? They're still going to take the pitchers out after a couple of innings so it's still not a real game. I know these all star things are embedded in professional sport and are here to stay but they are just a waste when I could be watching some real hockey.

dude, I totally agree with this. not to mention that during this all star game we won't know who the fuck is on what team.

like you said, all star games are stupid. thankfully, there's a married with children marathon airing so I have something to watch while I get some work done this evening
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    All stars competetion was pretty cool.

Zdeno Chara broke the hardest shot with 105.9 mph

Alex Ovechkin's nifty stick handling on the breakaway competition was also pretty sweet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csYwv79Z_Jg

Although this probably wasn't his best moment :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phQRYaxAHYU

i loved watching ovie trip over that cord, then in the hardest shot his stick exploded and then tim thomas fall in the goalie race was hilarous.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013