Anyone use their Droid as a wireless router?

The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I just moved and I'm trying to figure out the best and most cost effective way to set up my wireless internet. I bought an air card, which wasn't cheap. The other day a buddy told me that my droid can be used as a wireless router for up to 5 computers. Has anyone tried using their phone as a router? If so, can you talk on your phone while you're online? I travel quite a bit for work, so it's imperative that I have internet access at all times (which is why I decided against getting cable thru comcast - my cable provider).

I have 14 days to return my air card...so I need to make a decision relatively quickly.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    I don't think I could stand to work from a computer using the slow internet connection it would get over the air using a cell signal.

Then again, if your other option is an air card (and I'm assuming that's not any faster), then maybe it's not an issue unless there were data limits.

I can't answer your question about talking on the phone while using it as a router. Sorry.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • There is a couple ways of going about it. First of all your provider probably offers a wireless hotspot feature that you can add on to your bill each month. I work for Verizon and I know if you go that route it's an extra $20 a month, and like you said up to 5 devices can connect to it at once. Again, I'm only speaking of Verizon but their speeds for regular 3G are up to 1.5Mbps so it's decent enough for just regular browsing, but not good enough for a hardcore user.

Another route you can take it rooting your phone. It's the equivalent of jailbreaking an iPhone if you are familiar with that at all. There is an app that you can install on the phone once it's rooted that does the exact same thing that the wireless hotspot does, but it's free. I've used that on my phone many of times and it works great.

Also if you wanted to go the legal route, but wanted wired instead of wireless there is an app in the Market that allows you to tether from the phone, usb into the computer. It's free, and legal. It works only OK at best in my opinion though.

Any other questions you may have, let me know. It's kinda my speciality haha.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    know1 wrote:
    I don't think I could stand to work from a computer using the slow internet connection it would get over the air using a cell signal.

Then again, if your other option is an air card (and I'm assuming that's not any faster), then maybe it's not an issue unless there were data limits.

I can't answer your question about talking on the phone while using it as a router. Sorry.

the air card is faster than the wireless I used to have thru comcast. and as long as you have cell service, you don't have to worry about not having access.

I love the air card, but it's also the most expensive route
    There is a couple ways of going about it. First of all your provider probably offers a wireless hotspot feature that you can add on to your bill each month. I work for Verizon and I know if you go that route it's an extra $20 a month, and like you said up to 5 devices can connect to it at once. Again, I'm only speaking of Verizon but their speeds for regular 3G are up to 1.5Mbps so it's decent enough for just regular browsing, but not good enough for a hardcore user.

Another route you can take it rooting your phone. It's the equivalent of jailbreaking an iPhone if you are familiar with that at all. There is an app that you can install on the phone once it's rooted that does the exact same thing that the wireless hotspot does, but it's free. I've used that on my phone many of times and it works great.

Also if you wanted to go the legal route, but wanted wired instead of wireless there is an app in the Market that allows you to tether from the phone, usb into the computer. It's free, and legal. It works only OK at best in my opinion though.

Any other questions you may have, let me know. It's kinda my speciality haha.

damn, that stuff is out of my league. I'm not real tech savvy.

pretty sure the hotspot feature is what my buddy was talking about. if that's only an extra 20 bucks a month, that's still 30 bucks cheaper than having the air card. If I go that route, can I be online on a laptop and talk on my phone at the same time? Also, if I'm just using the internet for emails and web surfing, would that be efficient?

thanks for your help...really appreciate it
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i use my EVO exclusively for internet via the phone or as a modem

currently using pdanet to do a wired tether route. it's not bad, unless you are going to watch a ton of vids.

easytether does the same thing, but i couldn't get it to work. i dunno.

as for the hot spot...i thought with 3g you couldn't be online and talking at the same time. i honestly don't know. i do know with 4g you can.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

as for the hot spot...i thought with 3g you couldn't be online and talking at the same time. i honestly don't know. i do know with 4g you can.

hmm, the dude at the verizon store told me that they would be going to 4G soon and my sim card would update automatically when that happened. I don't trust the guy though...he seemed like a used car salesman.

looks like a trip to the verizon store is in my weekend plans
    maybe the verizon guy has the answer, but i doubt a sim card is going to get your 4g service without a LTE radio built into the phone.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    just as an fyi, if you want to try the wired route, pdanet is free for 14 days, after which you can access http sights but not https sights. key is the S
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    maybe the verizon guy has the answer, but i doubt a sim card is going to get your 4g service without a LTE radio built into the phone.

it was the sim card in the air card (or whatever it's called...I might be using the wrong term there).
  • i would like to know this too. i'm looking for cheap but reliable internet that isn't a fucking snail. i mainly watch netflix and youtube videos, and do some site browsing. don't download very often but that varies month to month.