1976 P Bass

keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
edited February 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, my brother was rooting around his (and my old) highschool music room, and he found an old bass sitting around. Turns out its a 1976 P, he talked to the teacher, she said 'it hasn't been played in years, take it home, whatever'... So now for the rest of the school year I have a killer (albeit beat to shit) P sitting around the house!

Apparently Jim Bryson (Ottawa singer/songwriter) also took it out on tour with him one year.
Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• We need pic's! Oh and if you ever want to unload it, don't hesitate to contact me...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    pics nao!!!!

i love p basses. i had a 90s japanese one that i traded when i got my rickenbacker but i miss it.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Pics when I get home! It sounds sweet, natural, and TOTALLY beat up, like, down to bare wood, but that's just character...

Unfortunately, I don't think we can keep it, but we might try too as nobody else has played it in years...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • exhausted wrote:
    pics nao!!!!

i love p basses. i had a 90s japanese one that i traded when i got my rickenbacker but i miss it.

I too love P-bass's with a passion. I just put it off forever before getting one. Now I'd like another with a maple fretboard.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/imag ... 92bca6.jpg
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• That is fantastic. And actually pretty solid. I see the pick up covers were once on it too..

Also did the bridge pick up cover...

http://www.rockpalace.com/gfx_productco ... sewood.jpg

Yeah, for sure there used to be an ashtray, we may or may not put one on.
  • That thing looks like it's ready to play some serious funk and soul. How's the pup's output? Overall tone? I bet it's got some good definition, probably slaps pretty well too.

On a different note... maybe you could make a deal with the teacher? I'm sure nobody in high school has interest in playing a 35-year-old bass, but maybe there's something the school could use? I'm all for someone getting a great find, but you shouldn't cheat a school district just because they don't know what they've got in the closet. Talk to the teacher and see if you could trade something she needs (she probably isn't allowed to just sell it, unless her school is really lax). If she isn't interested in letting it go, then just enjoy the time with it... it looks like a cool piece!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    That thing looks like it's ready to play some serious funk and soul. How's the pup's output? Overall tone? I bet it's got some good definition, probably slaps pretty well too.

On a different note... maybe you could make a deal with the teacher? I'm sure nobody in high school has interest in playing a 35-year-old bass, but maybe there's something the school could use? I'm all for someone getting a great find, but you shouldn't cheat a school district just because they don't know what they've got in the closet. Talk to the teacher and see if you could trade something she needs (she probably isn't allowed to just sell it, unless her school is really lax). If she isn't interested in letting it go, then just enjoy the time with it... it looks like a cool piece!
    Yeah for sure, we're going to be honest with it, she's retiring this year so we might see what they need.

It sounds pretty damn good, my brother's the bass player in the house, and it sounds sweet. Definitely very articulate, something I wasn't really expecting (then again, I'm used to hearing him play a fretless with flatwound strings).
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    I'm looking for a FENDER...:)
  • It turns out Jim Bryson wants the bass, so I might be responsible for taking it to his show in a week and a bit...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Nice Looking Bass Chris!

Reminds me of my old school bass playing days blowing the speaker in the schoools TKO and then pulling the Peavey PA Monitors off the wall stacking them and running the bass into the PA. Good times. Man the girl playing the Fender Rhodes in that Jazz band was hot.

Looks great to have been in a school for so long. Love me some Precision Basses.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.