A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Alex, what is the challenger explosion.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I remember distinctly where I was too, it was shocking and very, very sad.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    I don't remember them saying anything at school and watching the video again is hard...I don't remember seeing the crowd's reaction before, just the actual tragedy. So sad to watch her parents just look in the sky and being stunned, it's such a personal moment. :cry:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    25 years! How time flies.

I remember hearing this on the radio at work. It was pretty spine chilling as 2 of us were looking at a Hasselblad camera advert of an astronaut doing a space walk.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Very clear memory
    I was in the hospital after giving birth to my daughter
    of course much media coverage
    I remember looking down at that little face, her thumb always in her mouth,
    tiny red eyebrows bright blue eyes
    thinking.... each of those astronauts had a Mama
    How proud she was of them and that their hearts were broken, absolutely broken.
    Terrible tragedy :cry:
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I remember exactly where I was that day. I was 6.

Just got home from am kindegarden and watched it with my mom live on the news.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I was in 8th grade art class when I heard the news. I remember the teacher told us and we were just all in shock. We stopped our art projects and she wheeled in a TV for us to watch the news. It was probably the biggest national tragedy I remember in my lifetime aside from 9/11.
  • gfnk001gfnk001 Posts: 652
    I remember it very well too. We had a snow day, my mom was making chocolate brownies. I was watching the launch and then it happened...I ran to the kitchen and told my mom the space shuttle exploded, and she thought I was joking. She's was very mad, until she watched the TV....She was a teacher too. I am a teacher now. It hurt.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQL0NWS1Rc

I'll never forget that..I was in Grade School and it was lunch time

Everyone just sat there and the teachers faces were just in a blank stare

5th Grade, Sad
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    3rd grade. still remember it.
    www.myspace.com
  • I saw it happen, but didnt know what I was seeing at the time.
    I was in middle school playing soccer during recess. Playing goalie, there's wasnt much action, but I was standing there facing north when I saw a faint line of smoke going up. Then I saw the explosion and couldnt figure out what the heck I was looking at. Then when recess was over, they announced it to the school and my heart dropped. :cry:
    very surreal. so damn sad.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I was a senior in college, working part-time at one of the Boston daily newspapers as a student reporter. I think they actually put out an extra edition that day.

That was stunning.

I wasn't a fan of Ronald Reagan, but I thought his speech that night was one of the greatest ever given by an American president. Just the last 15 seconds alone were beautiful...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JKIZ7j2 ... re=related

Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Never forget.

I wasn't born till 1990.. but I'm an avid NASA fan.. and I watched Columbia come apart live on tv.. tears in my eyes.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    3rd grade. still remember it.

Same here, don't remember all the details, just how tragic it was.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i was 2 on cocoa beach with my parents. i saw it but don't remember.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i was in 10th grade and i was taking a midterm exam...i can't remember if we told at school or if i heard about it on the way home, but when i got home that morning i don't think i left the tv for the rest of the day
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I remember this too. I was in middle school and home on a snow day, so I was so excited to be able to watch the launch. I just couldn't believe when it exploded. So sad.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I wasn't a fan of Ronald Reagan, but I thought his speech that night was one of the greatest ever given by an American president. Just the last 15 seconds alone were beautiful...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JKIZ7j2 ... re=related

Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
    +1

I was at work, at a job that I'd just started 3 weeks before. Our receptionist said that someone she'd spoken to on the phone called back minutes later in shock and said "I think you should know, the space shuttle just blew up." I think the caller must have just seen it and had to tell somebody.

We turned on the radio and brought out the TV. Nothing on the radio for 20-30 minutes. We left the TV on all day.

I just remember being so shocked. Such a sad day.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    i was 8 and remember very well, i was in shock
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    I was 10 - watching it live on tv over here. It's an image burned into my brain, it was so sad. Can't believe it's been 25 years.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,828
    I was 12. I remember it well, since it was a few days after my b-day. Especially seeing it on tv, i was in shock.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    I was a Senior in High School, in Orlando, in the outside eating area. It was freezing!...watched the whole thing happen right in front of me (you can see all the launches from Orlando area)...we all thought it was a weird looking cloud...unfortunately, it wasn't. They announced over the Intercom what had happened & dismissed school early because alot of kids parents worked over at the Cape. Sad Day.
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    My grade 6 teacher was a total hardass, and he totally broke down when he told us about it. I think we were all more shocked by that than the actual explosion....They brought us into another cless to watch the news after that...remember it like it was yesterday.
  • I wasn't even 2 years old so do not remember this.
    But that video is pretty sad.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • gfnk001 wrote:
    I remember it very well too. We had a snow day, my mom was making chocolate brownies. I was watching the launch and then it happened...I ran to the kitchen and told my mom the space shuttle exploded, and she thought I was joking. She's was very mad, until she watched the TV....She was a teacher too. I am a teacher now. It hurt.

We had a snow day too and were home with my dad... I think I was in 5th grade. I just remember all of us staring at the TV in silence.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I was only 4 when it happened. I remember sitting on my moms lap watching the TV and she just started crying. I didn't really know what happened but she tried explaining it to me. Very sad to see now that I am older.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,