Taylor GS Mini

greenmannygreenmanny Posts: 766
edited February 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been wondering about Taylor's new GS Mini. Has anyone played one or does anyone have one yet?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AffeAffe Posts: 4
    Hi.

I bought a Taylor GS mini last week.
    I just love it, a fantastic guitar.

//Affe
    Stockholm 7/7-2012
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Hey hey! Just posted in another thread on that: viewtopic.php?p=4208291#p4208291

Basically, just bought one for my 13-year-old daughter, she's about 5 foot and looks like an oompa loompa holding my Martin Dreadnaught. I myself have been shopping around for a parlour guitar for a few years now to play on the couch all cozy-like -- an Ami or Larrivee. No more!

The GS Mini is awesome, great big sound, very comfortable for a six-foot dude like me, but more so for my daughter. I will say, the big auditorium-style rounded lower bout / lower body is touch too big for her to crash on a couch comfortably with, but she's playing on a stool mostly with a music stand, works fine. She can sit on the edge of a couch or bed no prob, sit indian style on the floor too. Great fit!

Great Taylor neck and action, crisp Taylor sound -- very tight fit and finish. But a few knocks, some extra glue patches on it that were easy enough to scrape off and wipe away, didn't leave a mark. And I looked at a few before I found a soundboard/front spruce piece I could handle.

I'm sure guitars are like violins, grain should be tight and even-- this is NOT a premium spruce soundboard. First one i saw had whorls in the wood, prized by some, not by me. Then another had a bit too much variation. One I settled on was super tight grain in the middle six-eight inches that got progressively wider-spaced toward the edges -- pretty well done overall. Nit picky? Perhaps...

And then, I never use a strap so I was dissappointed that strap screw came pre-installed on the neck.

Side-by-Side with my martin, both bridges are about at the same level, big lower body, and then you notice how much shorter the neck is on the GS mini. Nice snug gig-bag with it too.

All-in-all -- I love playing it, and my daughter does too when she can get it from me over the last 3 weeks!
    [sic] happens