College Tuition?

Lukin639Lukin639 Posts: 72
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Does $41,000 seem reasonable for a 2-year Associates degree at a technical school?
All above material copyrighted, 2013, Lukin639.
All rights reserved..most rights reserved...no rights reserved...,2013.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    Maybe if they throw in a new Mazda 3 so you can go Zoom Zoom with your new degree.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Are they assuring you of a 100,000 job when you're done?
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    absolutely not
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Most technical schools (like ITT tech) are private schools, they are in the business to make money. Unreasonable? No-they are a business, Unethical?-Yes

I checked out a technical school, and it was going to cost me $16,000 for a 7 month program. The same skill set is being taught at a community college 15 miles farther away and I would only end up paying $5,000 for the EXACT SAME program (including books).
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    never trust a school that is in it for the money.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    I don't know where you're located, but if money's an issue do community college for two years, then a state school. Or just a state school if you're in a place where it's free. And if money's not an issue, especially 40 g's for two years, then there's plenty of better, nicer, 4 year schools that would gladly take that money, and you'd be getting plenty more out of.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    I Or just a state school if you're in a place where it's free.

Where does that exist??!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:

I'm pretty sure Georgia and North Carolina are free if you're a resident? No? That's at least what I've heard. I could almost certainly be wrong.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    You could save a large amount of money if you enrolled in a community college.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Lizard wrote:

I'm pretty sure Georgia and North Carolina are free if you're a resident? No? That's at least what I've heard. I could almost certainly be wrong.

Could be - I don't know. I do know that CA colleges and univ. tried to avoid using the term "tuition". They finally admitted they charge tuition. Wow!! You do??? :lol:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:

Are you referring to, say, University of Georgia? I'm sure residents have to pay, at least at a discounted rates opposed to non-residents.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Lizard wrote:

North Carolina is not free.....

I had heard California? but not sure now with their budget issues
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

Are you referring to, say, University of Georgia? I'm sure residents have to pay, at least at a discounted rates opposed to non-residents.

Yeah, I was just reading up. UNC's not free, but incredibly cheap if you're a resident. And UGA is funded by the lottery and makes it really cheap.
    Yeah, I was just reading up. UNC's not free, but incredibly cheap if you're a resident. And UGA is funded by the lottery and makes it really cheap.

The state of Utah could learn a thing or two from that.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    It sounds like too much.

As a matter of fact, I'm starting to think that most college degrees aren't worth the money. Knowing what I know now, I'd consider not going to college based upon what you get vs. the amount of money and effort.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    I don't know where you're located, but if money's an issue do community college for two years, then a state school. Or just a state school if you're in a place where it's free. And if money's not an issue, especially 40 g's for two years, then there's plenty of better, nicer, 4 year schools that would gladly take that money, and you'd be getting plenty more out of.
    This is good advice...2 years at a community college, transfer to an in-state school for a 4 year degree. A lot of community colleges are now linked up with 4 year schools for communiversity programs. You'd continue taking all your classes at the local community college, but your final degree would be from the 4-year school.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    know1 wrote:
    It sounds like too much.

As a matter of fact, I'm starting to think that most college degrees aren't worth the money. Knowing what I know now, I'd consider not going to college based upon what you get vs. the amount of money and effort.

Well, this isn't true at all.

The more education the better.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    know1 wrote:
    It sounds like too much.

I agree - it is better to be better educated.

But let's say the cost of tuition goes through the roof suddenly and a few years from now, it cost $1million per year (this is hypothetical to prove a point)? Would it be worth it? You can educate yourself without going to college, you know.

And then let's talk about the level of education. Just going to college doesn't mean you are being educated to the maximum degree. In fact, I saw a recent study that basically said the first two years of college were essentially a waste of time from the standpoint of the education you receive.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
    know1 wrote:
    know1 wrote:
    It sounds like too much.

I agree - it is better to be better educated.

But let's say the cost of tuition goes through the roof suddenly and a few years from now, it cost $1million per year (this is hypothetical to prove a point)? Would it be worth it? You can educate yourself without going to college, you know.

And then let's talk about the level of education. Just going to college doesn't mean you are being educated to the maximum degree. In fact, I saw a recent study that basically said the first two years of college were essentially a waste of time from the standpoint of the education you receive.

I know this is wiki, but numbers are numbers....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educationa ... ted_States

Yes, college tuitions go up, but everything does. People do what they can do, I get that, but I think people are more capable than they think.