Spring Awakening-RUN TO THE THEATER!!!!

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
so i first heard about Spring Awakening around February of 2007 when Zach Braff suggested anyone who was within the sound of his Myspace page, run and go see Spring Awakening, which was then on Broadway. I live in oregon, so Broadway in a ridiculously far distance. I waited and waited. And finally last night Spring Awakening made it to Oregon.

I was struck first of all by how many people attended what is a play/musical. The crowd was very broad and varied, old people and young people. it seemed to skew to the teen/twenties crowd.

For those who dont know the play/musical is based on a story about late 1800's Germany, in a small town, focused on a repressive and deeply and devoutly religious community. It focuses on the teens in the town who start undergoing puberty and start questioning who they are and what they are taught.

The show itself is anything but a typical play or musical. The characters routinely break into song, but the songs arent furthering the plot, they are meant to be insight into how the characters feel. Onstage there are two bleachers filled with audience members, and the cast will sit down amongst those people, then stand up and start singing.

The music itself and the lyrics are intense and the music was created by Duncan Sheik of Barely Breathing fame. Remember that insanely catchy 90's tune?

The show was shocking, funny and thought provoking.

The show got huge amount of applause at the show I went to. A standing ovation, several in fact. As I left the theater, I left having enjoyed the show quite a bit. As 24 hours has gone by, I am starting to think this was one of those special plays. Quite a remarkable achievement both in music and art.

Highly recommended you all check it out. They are touring the country right now. I think they are in Arizona right now.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I saw it in NY with the original cast

The lead girl is now on Glee

I saw her boobies before she was even well known
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers