TACO BELL MEAT

Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Taco Bell responds to lawsuit; says its beef mixture is meat simmered in seasonings

By BOB JOHNSON , Associated Press

Last update: January 26, 2011 - 6:53 AM

MONTGOMERY, Ala. - Taco Bell officials on Tuesday rejected claims made in a lawsuit that the meat in their tacos, burritos and other products is not all beef.

Taco Bell President Greg Creed said in a statement that the lawyers who filed the lawsuit got their facts wrong and that Taco Bell plans to take legal action against those making the allegations. He did not explain specifically what type of legal action Taco Bell might take.

"At Taco Bell, we buy our beef from the same trusted brands you find in the supermarket," Creed said. "We start with 100 percent USDA-inspected beef. Then we simmer it in our proprietary blend of seasonings and spices to give our seasoned beef its signature Taco Bell taste and texture."

The class action lawsuit filed Friday in federal court in California by the Montgomery law firm Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles claims the Taco Bell meat mixture contains binders and fillers.

An attorney for the law firm, Dee Miles, said Taco Bell saves money by adding fillers because the beef is the most expensive part of their products.

"It's giving them a competitive edge. It's an economic edge" over other companies that sell Mexican-style food, Miles said.

Miles said he wasn't concerned with Taco Bell's threat of legal action.

"We stand on the absolute facts as stated in the complaint filed in the Federal Court in California," he said.

Creed said Taco Bell is proud of the quality of its beef and identifies the seasoning and spice ingredients on its website.

According to that Web site, ingredients used to season the Taco Bell meat include salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats, soy lectithin, sugar, soybean oil, garlic powder, yeast extract, citric acid and cocoa powder.

The lawsuit filed on behalf of Taco Bell customer and California resident Amanda Obney does not seek monetary damages, but asks the court to order Taco Bell to be honest in its advertising.
My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I thought it was a known fact it wasn't meat

:lol:

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    seriously, who is going to taco hell expecting real meat?

when it comes to fast crap. er i mean food, it's dadt 8-)
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    This thread is making hungry
  • My Mom was there once asked if it was real meat, and the lady at the counter answered "basically" :?

Needless to say, that was my Mom's last time going there :lol:
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    My Mom was there once asked if it was real meat, and the lady at the counter answered "basically" :?

:lol::lol:
    My Mom was there once asked if it was real meat, and the lady at the counter answered "basically" :?

I eat there once in a blue moon

There is one right by my work..so if Im in a hurry I hit it

• comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    mmmmm...fake meat :sick:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    2619437YubKGrpm.gif
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

I think the wrapper on the tacos there just say FAT instead of listing the nutritional info

I think the wrapper on the tacos there just say FAT instead of listing the nutritional info
    :lol: That about sums up the ingredients

• dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    81 wrote:
    2619437YubKGrpm.gif

hahahahahhahaha. Well done, 81. :o
    81 wrote:
    2619437YubKGrpm.gif

• pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    As the GM of a meat plant, I find this most amusing... MANY companies use binders and fillers...Most are a simple soy powder(TVP--Textured vegetable protein) and water mixture...with a small % being added...Average about 4-8 percent. It can change the texture a bit, and is still basically ground beef....That said, there are other things that can be used to "cheapen" up the product as it were and it is employed by many many other companies, such as heart, head meat, cheek meat. Anything with an "organ" ie: liver, heart and the like must be labeled as such and cannot exceed a certain amount....I am just surprised that this is such a big deal, unless there is something shady they are doing that hasnt come out just yet..Hell, Mickey D's use 100% PURE beefpatties...Not 100% GROUND beef patties, and no one is tearing them up(today)..But I will wait until that lawsuit to discuss PURE BEEF...lol

ps....all(or MOST) of the stuff these companies buy HAVE to be USDA inspected....just doesnt mean that it originated in the USA...:-)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    If anything, I'm MORE inclined to eat at Taco Bell knowing that the meat might not be all meat.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat my share of veggie bergers, soy, and non-meat products. I don't mind it a bit.

I like Taco Bell. I think it's be best value for the money and the food is pretty good too.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • This lawsuit is being brought by the law firm where I worked for three years as a law clerk while I was in law school (1999-2002). The attorney, Dee Miles, who is the lead lawyer on this case, was the person who was my supervisor. At the very least, Beasley Allen is getting a lot of publicity over this. When this news broke early last week, it was the top-viewed news story on most of the major news websites.
    United Center (Chicago): 8/24/09
    Gibson Amphitheatre (Los Angeles): 10/7/09