earbuds

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
does anyone else go thru these as fast as my gf.

it seems like they last her about two months before one of the speakers stop working.

is she just really rough on them, or is she buying junk? i don't know models, but she has used sony's, some other ones she picked up at radio shack, the stock ones.

suggestions?
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Tell her to use them with an iPhone and they'll last years.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Tell her to use them with an iPhone and they'll last years.

:lol:

it started with her ipod, and now the same issue with her EVO. did some quick searches on the net and it seems a common problem.

what a rip.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    im not a fan of earbuds at all and think they all suck. Tell her to go with some big ear muff head phones. they sound better and will last forever, as long as you dont mind looking like that bald dude who worked for Lando Karlissien in Cloud City (ESB)
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i thought it was a new strain of reefer
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    im not a fan of earbuds at all and think they all suck. Tell her to go with some big ear muff head phones. they sound better and will last forever, as long as you dont mind looking like that bald dude who worked for Lando Karlissien in Cloud City (ESB)

some how i doubt she would go for that look. :lol:

i was thinking of the smaller ones with the little metal strip that connected them over the top of the head. i've got ones from 10+ years ago taht still work. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

fear the fist
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    yeah I have some of those too still and they work and have lasted
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
    81 wrote:

fear the fist

you better fear them...so many rights ya'll be begging for a left :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    i've got some ear wax you can roll. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    I have earbuds I bought at the Apple store for I think $39. I can't see any manufacturer imprint on them, but they have a built-in mic. The first pair lasted a year and a half, but eventually the rubber around the right earbud wore off. On my second pair now, and I used them every day for hours during my commute.

In the office, I have the Bose ones, with the soft inserts. The inserts are a total pain in the ass and pop off constantly. Sound quality is good, though.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    the main thing that destroys the easrbuds are when you wrap them up really tight around the ipod, all those little copper wires inside get frayed from the wrapping un-wrapping.

You do get what you pay for, I have some Sony headphones that hook around the ear, got them for $30 on sale from $50. The cord is actually made of a sort of braided twine, not the regular plastic coated wire. After 10 years they still work great, I just need to replace the foamy covers.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    4and20 wrote:
    the main thing that destroys the easrbuds are when you wrap them up really tight around the ipod, all those little copper wires inside get frayed from the wrapping un-wrapping.

You do get what you pay for, I have some Sony headphones that hook around the ear, got them for $30 on sale from $50. The cord is actually made of a sort of braided twine, not the regular plastic coated wire. After 10 years they still work great, I just need to replace the foamy covers.

if wrapping is bad, what do you do?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i blew a pair out last week, sony's, but cheap ones, does she listen to music way too loud?
    mine actaully made a bzzt sound, before dieing.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

I loosely wrap them around my hand and then put the whole thing in a little bag so the wires don't get snagged on anything (I'm sure she has a little cosmetic case/pouch). Mr. 4/20 wraps the expensive ones up and they have taken the abuse...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    WHATS AN EARBUD? a speaker?
    4and20 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    4and20 wrote:

I loosely wrap them around my hand and then put the whole thing in a little bag so the wires don't get snagged on anything (I'm sure she has a little cosmetic case/pouch). Mr. 4/20 wraps the expensive ones up and they have taken the abuse...

she's a woman, of course she has something to put them in. :lol: actually, her purse has a spot for her phone. i'll pass along the tips.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

like the little white things that come with your ipod that you stick in your ear to hear the music. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I go through them somewhat quick because I do a lot of running and I sweat a lot, so after about 4 months one side will stop working. I usually get the iPod type earbuds
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
    81 wrote:

like the little white things that come with your ipod that you stick in your ear to hear the music. :lol:

headphones....
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I don't use them often - they always fall out. I must have funny ears, I guess they are quite big. Hence I don't wear them out.