SpyDefender Computer Virus

coachchriscoachchris Posts: 749
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Hey guys,

My wife's laptop got infected with this nasty virus and both of us aren't very computer savy. It won't let me ctrl, alt, del or anything. I google it and there are suggestions on how to remove it but as mentioned, it won;t let me open up any windows etc. I tried to do a system restore as well and it simply closed the window on me. Any ideas? Must be kept simple :lol:

Am I screwed and need to seek professional geek squad on this one?
Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
Leaving is for the answering machine.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I don't know about this particular virus but I would turn it off and open it in 'safe mode with networking' (when you turn it on hit F8) ... you should then be able to follow any instructions you've found on the net to remove it.

If you can while in 'safe mode with networking' download 'MalwareBytes' ... once downloaded update it ... then run a full scan. It should find a lot of stuff. I've used it to remove a couple of viruses.

Good luck!
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    when i (and by i, i mean her) get those, i blow up the computer and start over.

best of luck
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    when i (and by i, i mean her) get those, i blow up the computer and start over.

best of luck

:lol: too funny....I don't use the laptop at all though and (as far as i know) she only plays games on it like backgammon???
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    that's what they all say. :lol:

she picked up a bug on her work computer after doing a google search for something. it was purley innocent there, so i belive her last home one was innoccent as well.

some bugs, it's just easier reinstalling everything....after backing up of course.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Damn you guys are good! I was able to do a system restore once I was in safe mode. Now to go download the Malware!

Thanks again everyone! ;)
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Those things are what finally convinced me to toss my POS Dell and get a Mac.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    coachchris wrote:
    Damn you guys are good! I was able to do a system restore once I was in safe mode. Now to go download the Malware!

Thanks again everyone! ;)

Glad it helped.

Just an FYI running a full scan with MalwareBytes will take a couple of hours ... so do it when you can leave the computer alone for a while :)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Just to clear my name up around here a little :lol: cause I know what you are all really thinking ;)

After the quick scan....here are the results:

Scan type: Quick scan
    Objects scanned: 147025
    Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 24 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 0
    Registry Values Infected: 0
    Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 1

:lol:
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    some people must be really bored out there...my comp got a virus the other day, had to wipe the system clean and restore to factory settings....damn I'm glad I back up!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,141
    chime wrote:
    I don't know about this particular virus but I would turn it off and open it in 'safe mode with networking' (when you turn it on hit F8) ... you should then be able to follow any instructions you've found on the net to remove it.

If you can while in 'safe mode with networking' download 'MalwareBytes' ... once downloaded update it ... then run a full scan. It should find a lot of stuff. I've used it to remove a couple of viruses.

Good luck!
    great advice

MalwareBytes is really good. As a computer geek, I get asked by a lot of people to fix their computer and most of the time a MalwareBytes scan does the job.