What is Wrong with People?

Music For RhinosMusic For Rhinos Posts: 1,693
edited January 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
From Yahoo News:

SEATTLE (Reuters) – Police on Monday arrested an elderly woman and her son on charges of animal cruelty for the starvation deaths of over 30 pets, mostly cats, whose decayed carcasses were found in their foreclosed home north of Seattle.

The remains of 29 cats and two dogs, some of which had been dead for six months and were skeletonized, were discovered on Friday strewn about the vacant home littered with animal feces, empty beer cans and trash. Three surviving but emaciated cats also were found amid the squalor.

Dennis Taylor, the police chief of Granite Falls, Washington, 40 miles northeast of Seattle, said authorities were alerted by a worker who had gone to the house to change the locks and reported a "horrible odor" coming from inside.

"There were enough beer cans to build a whole car," Taylor said. "Hundreds and hundreds."

The police chief said the woman, who apparently slept for months in one room covered with pet feces, told him she had attempted to care for the animals, "but there's no evidence."

"For me, it's absolute neglect. They said they didn't have money, but they didn't have a reasonable explanation for the treatment of these animals. They apparently had enough for beer and cigarettes," Taylor told Reuters.

The former homeowner, Diane Cowling, 65, and her son, Michael Cowling, 36, were taken into custody at an apartment they had recently moved to in nearby Lake Stevens. Each was charged with 34 counts of felony animal cruelty, an offense punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Police also seized a pet dog and two cats the Cowlings had with them at the time and turned them over to an animal shelter.

Taylor said the pair had told him the mother was employed but suffered from various medical problems.

Workers from a pet rescue and animal sanctuary assisted police in removing animal remains from the foreclosed home over the weekend, filling several black plastic garbage bags.

Cowling told TV station KOMO News in Seattle that she had been undergoing radiation therapy, was constantly exhausted and thought the animals died from a massive flea infestation in the house. After her pets died, she said she lost the will to remove their bodies.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_pets_cruelty

Ugh...this kind of stuff drives me nuts. :x Why do people do stuff like this? First of all, having that many pets is probably not a good idea for numerous obvious reasons. Second, if you insist on keeping that many animals in your home, at least ensure you have the means to properly care for them. I just wanna grab these people and shake them. This pissed me off, I had to vent.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    What is wrong? Obviously, they weren't quite 'right' in their heads and obviously, there was no support.
  • well this is wrong on so many levels i don't know where to start...i agree they probably weren't 'right' in their heads, nobody normal could have done this.
    "And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky, a human being that was given to fly..."

"We are all determined by our gene pool...obviously, somebody peed in yours"-Walter Bishop
  • redrock wrote:
    What is wrong? Obviously, they weren't quite 'right' in their heads and obviously, there was no support.

That pretty much goes without saying. It's just sad, really.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    redrock wrote:

That does pretty much go without saying....except that it was specifically asked "what's wrong with people"
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Can't wait to go home and hug the unlost dogs... :(
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    The owners should have been ground into hamburger on the spot and fed to those animals.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    It's just plain sad... :(

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Half Full wrote:
    redrock wrote:

That does pretty much go without saying....except that it was specifically asked "what's wrong with people"

Yeah, except it wasn't meant as a question to be answered per se, it was more of an expression of anger over what these people did.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    eyedclaar wrote:
    The owners should have been ground into hamburger on the spot and fed to those animals.
    This.
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    :( those poor animals.
    Hopefully iluvcats doesnt read this
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    the mother and son were in court today. They asked the judge for leinency because the son does not have a criminal record. Pasado's Safe Haven (animal rights group) was there to protest.

The judge denied a request to release the son, bail has been set for $100,000 for each person. These people should be made to live in their own filth until their trial.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless