Dublin?

Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
edited February 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
My sister and I will be taking a 3 day trip to Dublin at the end of April. We've been twice before but those trips mainly consisted of hardcore X-Mas shopping, doing the cliché tourist hop on hop off tour and having liquid breakfast in the Guiness Store House while watching the fog lift over the city (beautiful sight btw) before shopping some more.

So I was wondering if the Dubliners on here had any ideas what to do off the beaten touristy path. I'm greatful for any suggestions suitable for 2 old ladies :mrgreen:
You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Recommend you hire a car as our public transport system outside Dublin is not great at all.

Lakes of Killarney are cool and Killarney town itself is a great spot along with Dingle. Both in Kerry. Staying a place called Barr na Sraide http://homepage.eircom.net/~barrnasraide/ which i hear comes highly recommended in Dingle.

Also Tor Drive in Antrim in northern Ireland is well worth the visit and is near the Giants Causeway, and anywhere along the northwest coast of Donegal (dunfanaghy/Fallcarragh) is great, but again be prepared to drive.

Dublin also has its charm. Places such as Howth, Dun Laoghaire (pron. Dun Lerry) are really nice spots.

Hope this helps
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Anything in particular you are looking to do? Art/museums? Music? Bars? Clubs? Walking tours? Poets tours? The wife is from there so i can ask her and let you know.
  • i'm also going there, but in august :D
    it would be grat if you give us some local secrets to a great pubs or places to see :D
    i'll be in dublin and also galway or maybe ennis, haven't decided yet(maybe you can recommend what's better)
    "And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky, a human being that was given to fly..."

"We are all determined by our gene pool...obviously, somebody peed in yours"-Walter Bishop
  • I live in Dublin also. It depends how long you're going to stay here. It's hard to know where to start without getting very touristy... Not to say that the tourist stuff isn't great too, it just depends what you're looking for.

If you'd like any specific info just shout or pm me.

• IMO best pint of Guinness in Dublin is Mulligans on Poolbeg Street. Great music bar in Dublin is Bruxelles just off Grafton street, and also the Foggy Dew on Dame St. Good chance of getting really decent tunes played in those two pubs and good craic as well.

Outside of Dublin, i have been to Galway as well but not for 10 years or so. If you go to Ennis you have to go to the Cliffs of Moher and also Lahinch beach. (Great surfing a deadly bar called O'Looneys)

Hope this helps
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
  • IMO best pint of Guinness in Dublin is Mulligans on Poolbeg Street. Great music bar in Dublin is Bruxelles just off Grafton street, and also the Foggy Dew on Dame St. Good chance of getting really decent tunes played in those two pubs and good craic as well.

Outside of Dublin, i have been to Galway as well but not for 10 years or so. If you go to Ennis you have to go to the Cliffs of Moher and also Lahinch beach. (Great surfing a deadly bar called O'Looneys)

Hope this helps

thanks, this helps alot...i'm definitely going to see Cliffs of Moher, and this music bar sound great!! :D
    "And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky, a human being that was given to fly..."

"We are all determined by our gene pool...obviously, somebody peed in yours"-Walter Bishop
  • I live in Dublin also. It depends how long you're going to stay here. It's hard to know where to start without getting very touristy... Not to say that the tourist stuff isn't great too, it just depends what you're looking for.

If you'd like any specific info just shout or pm me.

well, i have time until august, so i'll probably think of many questions to ask you if you don't mind :mrgreen:

• Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    Recommend you hire a car as our public transport system outside Dublin is not great at all.

Lakes of Killarney are cool and Killarney town itself is a great spot along with Dingle. Both in Kerry. Staying a place called Barr na Sraide http://homepage.eircom.net/~barrnasraide/ which i hear comes highly recommended in Dingle.

Also Tor Drive in Antrim in northern Ireland is well worth the visit and is near the Giants Causeway, and anywhere along the northwest coast of Donegal (dunfanaghy/Fallcarragh) is great, but again be prepared to drive.

Dublin also has its charm. Places such as Howth, Dun Laoghaire (pron. Dun Lerry) are really nice spots.

Hope this helps
    Wow thanks! That's going to be difficult to cram into 3 days though - we also already booked accomodation in the city. Dun Laoghaire might be doable, I'll check that and I'll be definitely copy/pasting those tips for future use!
    eddiec wrote:
    Anything in particular you are looking to do? Art/museums? Music? Bars? Clubs? Walking tours? Poets tours? The wife is from there so i can ask her and let you know.

Art/museums is always apprectiated, also suggestions re music and I don't have a problem with walking most days. Nothing against supporting the Irish economy, but the more we can do that doesn't involve Grafton or Henry St., the better for my bank account ;)

We're both not really club-people and I don't think finding a bar is going to be difficult - especially since we booked a room right above a 'live music 7 days a week' pub :mrgreen: - and we'll definitely check out some of Johnny Aggro's suggestions. Grafton St. and Dame St. are both walking distance to our accomodation, even after a few smiley1.gif
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
    I talked to my sister and Dun Laoghaire is definitely a go. Meadow, if you want a report afterwards, remind me after May 2 ;) Also, I have a good tip for cheap and very central accomodation if you don't mind music until 2am, PM me if you want to know.
  • Sonja, just be mindful re area of the acoomodation. Parts of north central and eastern south side can be troublesome. Nothing major but just to keep in numbers.
    Jury's inn hotels are cheap if u have 3 sharing. Also bewleys. About 90 per night so 3 sharing is doable

john
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Sonja, just be mindful re area of the acoomodation. Parts of north central and eastern south side can be troublesome. Nothing major but just to keep in numbers.
    Jury's inn hotels are cheap if u have 3 sharing. Also bewleys. About 90 per night so 3 sharing is doable

john

Thanks for the head's up! We're staying at Talbot St just a stone's throw from O'Connell. We've stayed at that place twice before, no problems. The only city (not counting Vienna) I actually walk alone at night is Toronto and during short city trips I usually run around so much during the day that I'm wiped out in my room by 9pm, I guess I'm getting old :lol:
  • Sonja_S wrote:
    I talked to my sister and Dun Laoghaire is definitely a go. Meadow, if you want a report afterwards, remind me after May 2 ;) Also, I have a good tip for cheap and very central accomodation if you don't mind music until 2am, PM me if you want to know.

oh that would be great, thanks!! :D